Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Piper J-3 Cub takeoff?  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Piper J-3 Cub takeoff?

Postby dchmelik » Tue May 18, 2021 4:15 am

I looked at the wiki and parts of the manual but it seems some instructions for Piper J-3 Cub takeoff aren't in the manual's section for starting right away. Will that section or the wiki (which has real plane instructions, but not keyboard ones) be expanded? I'm new to flight simulators, but my dad flew small (single-person) aeroplanes in mid-1900s and is interested in trying a Piper J-3 Cub simulation... just I am expected to figure out all instructions for him and am getting lost...
dchmelik

IRC name: darwin

Re: Piper J-3 Cub takeoff?  

Postby benih » Tue May 18, 2021 6:23 am

You can use the autostart function from the aircraft menu.
Otherwise i think you can follow the checklist (Hello menu) which also has buttons to highlight the steps switch, so you find it more easy.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Tue May 18, 2021 4:16 pm

@D-ECHO Would it be difficult for you to revert your changes? There's a few minor discrepancies between my working copy and what you pushed. I'm not sure if some of it is stuff I hadn't pushed yet, but it doesn't look that way. You're missing a condition for the audio panel in PA 18 but none of the other elements and a couple minor number changes on the gears contact points. Also you have a different walker or pilot person PNG, a different version. Do you remember changing one of the pilot pngs? As far as you are concerned were you just changing the view number from 9 to 8?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby D-ECHO » Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi wlbragg,

( I think we're jumping topics but anyways :D )

I can of course revert my changes, although I'd have to read a bit up on svn if you want me to now just doing another commit that reverts the made changes (i.e. using "proper revert").

On the other hand, my commit only changed the view-numbers (changing the used property in some places and changing the number values), it does not do anything about the anything else: see diffs here: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgaddon/5809

To put it short, yes I can revert it but I'm not sure whether it'll revert your problems :)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby wlbragg » Tue May 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Okay, sorry for cross-posting. I wasn't paying attention I was on my cell phone. No don't bother I'll sort it out I need to do some work on it anyway it's very minor stuff I just want to make sure I didn't miss something. The only other question I have is do you remember changing that PNG, it's one of the pilot pngs? Now that I think about it, it may have been one of the pngs that Erik or somebody fixed that had some problems. Whoever it was fixed a whole bunch of them in fgaddon. It might be one of those that was reverted, does that ring a bell?

Edit: maybe I can talk a mod into moving these two posts to the appropriate thread, sorry for the hassle.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby D-ECHO » Tue May 18, 2021 5:00 pm

No problem :)

If I didn't spontaneously develop amnesia ;) I only did that one commit that only changed the xml and .nas files as per the diffs. I don't remember doing anything to any pngs :D
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby dilbert » Fri May 21, 2021 4:53 pm

Based on your post, I'd recommend the PA18. I had a lot of time in j3's in the mid 50s. The planes were extremely simple: no battery, no starter, no generator, no radio, and no lights (had to prop to start); so for someone who flew pipers in those days, a highly developed version is unnecessary, with the most important thing being flight dynamics. My first 10 hours and solo were in a Pa18; and I think
Flight Gear's version has realistic flight dynamics, including its side slipping capability. So I like it. :)
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby dchmelik » Sun May 30, 2021 6:08 am

Alright, we'll try hello menu/checklist or autostart, but how would we use the HOTAS Cougar's throttle just to increase/decrease speed? It has several switches and I don't know much about it. Maybe we'll try a PA-18 but my dad doesn't want it too complicated and there was no wiki section on the PA-18. Also how do you change aeroport and maybe the time of day, as we don't want Honolulu rather than something in Montana but we're West of there and get started and into things later in the day...
dchmelik

Postby Ysop » Sun May 30, 2021 9:08 am

Just to add, that there are two PA-18.
One PA-18 yasim and one PA-18 as part of the Piper J3 package.
The latter can be described as much more advanced in terms of flight dynamics.
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby dchmelik » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:47 am

I didn't see an Aircraft Menu or hello menu; just File, View, etc... where are the correct menus?
dchmelik

Postby benih » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:58 am

Usually very fast to the right of the menu bar
benih

Postby dchmelik » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:22 am

I found the aircraft menu now... apparently named after each aircraft. Some have autostart; some don't. I think I found a version that will work. Not sure about the hello menu but I may have seen it. It seems pretty difficult to take off so I guess I'll have to find an aircraft manual or notes...
dchmelik

Postby benih » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 am

When i flew the Cub, one of the tricks was to keep the tailwheel on the ground for as long as possible, but at least while the airspeed is slow and the rudder has only a small countereffect.
This stabilizes the plane alot and you can prevent groundspins. It takes practice tough, its not so easy, unless you learned what to do.
benih

Postby ludomotico » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:29 am

Not sure about the hello menu

I believe benih's spell checker misinterpreted him in a funny yet dangerous way: he meant the "HELP MENU". You can find "checklists" for some aircraft in this help menu. Checklists are in "the aircraft manual" (the POH, Pilot's Operating Handbook) and they are a list of steps you have to take during the different phases of a flight. The J3 version I checked out does not have checklists in the help menu, so you have to look for them in the Internet. For example: http://indianapilotsclub.org/sites/defa ... cklist.pdf Check sections "before engine start" and "engine start". Beware: most of these steps cannot be taken using the keyboard! You have to manually prime the engine (lever on the right of the panel) and then set magnetos to "both" (lever above your head) and then throttle to 10% and then "ask a friend to spin the propeller" (press "S" in the keyboard). CHECK CAREFULLY THAT A BRAKING SYSTEM IS IN USE OR, ALTERNATIVELY, USE DISPOSABLE FRIENDS.

If you don't want to do this every time, menu "J3 -> Autostart" starts the engine for you. Then, press "shift+B" to release brakes.

how do you change aeroport and maybe the time of day, as we don't want Honolulu rather than something in Montana

In the launcher, you can move to any location in the world. Alternatively, in FlightGear menu, there should be a "location" entry. You can also change the time of the day in the launcher or FlightGear's menu ("environment", if a remember correctly)

Honolulu is the default one and a very developed scenery. European areas are very well modeled as well. Regarding other parts of the world, I'm afraid you will need custom scenery. Check, for example, the scenery made by wlbragg: https://wiki.flightgear.org/User:Wlbragg

how would we use the HOTAS Cougar's throttle just to increase/decrease speed?

One of the things you will learn is that throttle is not directly connected to speed. In a car, if you press the throttle, the car goes faster. This is not always true on an aircraft and in fact it is plainly wrong during the landing phase. The aircraft moves in a 3D environment, so you can increase the speed just by "falling down" without touching the throttle :D Many times, you'll increase the throttle not to go faster, but to maintain your altitude or even to fall down slower (as in landings)!

That being said: check the joystick configuration dialog, again, in the FlightGear's menu. I believe it is in the first menu option. Most probably, the HOTAS is already configured correctly but check it anyway.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:08 pm

ludomotico wrote in Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:29 am:Honolulu is the default one and a very developed scenery.

PHNL (Honolulu, Hawaii) was the default for FG 2018.* and 2019.1... BIKF (Keflavik, Iceland) has been the default airport since 2020.1 ;)
https://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_history#Cycled_default_airports
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying