Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Using PHI's Mass and Balance page

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Using PHI's Mass and Balance page

Postby milliman63 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:25 am

Hi, guys. I've been messing around with flightgear for quite a while, though mostly just flying the basic Cessna 172. Recently I've been flying the Boeing 747-400 (or attempting to :lol: ). One of the problems I've been having is the plane becoming unstable after some time in flight. It seems that I've narrowed the problem down to fuel loading. I am sure that the issue is an operator issue not a problem with flightgear or the airplane model...I just don't fully know what I'm doing resulting in an unstable flight profile. I also suspect that if I understood the Mass&Balance page, specifically the envelope graph, I would be able to solve my problems. Is there anyone out there that can give me a quick primer in interpreting this graph?
milliman63

Re: Using PHI's Mass and Balance page

Postby Octal450 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:27 am

The 747-400 has some bizarre balance and FDM issues. Last I heard legoboyvdlp and Gijs were working on it, but its been a while since I heard anything so who knows.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Octal450

Lead Programmer, IDG (Join our Discord!)
Download High Quality Aircraft from Octal450 Hangar
Octal450

Re: Using PHI's Mass and Balance page

Postby Gijs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:36 am

Hi there,

Nice to see you're flying the 744! There were indeed some serious issues with the loading of the aircraft, as well as some pitch problems in the FDM (it's a complex beast). We seem to have fixed most of them in the mean time, so please give the latest version from FGaddon a try and see if that fixes your problem.

Note that the envelope in Phi is very generic and not at all suited for a large aircraft like the 747. One of my current projects is to create a proper envelope in the in-sim Fuel and payload dialog, that should definitely help. I expect to finish it within a week from now.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Return to Flying