Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

A good joy stick. I'm just trying to get 2020.3 setup

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

A good joy stick. I'm just trying to get 2020.3 setup

Postby johnmd » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm

I'm trying to get ver. 2020.3 setup and I'm problems with my Logitech Extreme 3 D Pro. The throttle. has a center point.
The computer is a Lenovo with a Intel Core I5-4570, 3.20 GH. Processor speed 3193 MHz. The video card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 730 with 4 MB ram.
The computer is running Windows 10 64 bit.
I saw on another post that someone thought that a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One was a pretty decent one. I have used the logitech on an older version of MS flight sim 2004 and on that one it worked fine.
If you can think of anyway to throttle to work right I would like that but if not do you think that think the a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas would work on my system. Amy recomendations would be appriciated.
johnmd

Re: A good joy stick. I'm just trying to get 2020.3 setup

Postby Johan G » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 am

johnmd wrote in Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm:The throttle. has a center point.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Could you describe that in more detail, or perhaps in other words?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby V12 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 am

My joystick for throttle indicates zero value in mid. Range is from -128 to 128.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Ysop » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 am

Maybe the little resistance or click marking the 50%. Actually this is only disturbing if you think it is disturbing.

In my setup there is a separate Saitek throttle, which freed the throttle on the joystick for another. On this one the is now the view axis, so it is very easy to look left and right in the traffic pattern. And the centre point marks the forward view.
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby johnmd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Johan G wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 am:
johnmd wrote in Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm:The throttle. has a center point.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Could you describe that in more detail, or perhaps in other words?

Two of the others that replied talked about the same problem. On the back side is a leaver that will swing up and down about 30 degrees. Of MS F Sin this used for the throttle. When I first put on Flight Gear it was automatically selected as the nose wheel steering. I got changed to the throttle. It worked but you have to have it half way through it's stroke for the engine to idle, From that point you can move it either direction and the engine speed will increase.
johnmd

Postby johnmd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Ysop wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 am:Maybe the little resistance or click marking the 50%. Actually this is only disturbing if you think it is disturbing.

In my setup there is a separate Saitek throttle, which freed the throttle on the joystick for another. On this one the is now the view axis, so it is very easy to look left and right in the traffic pattern. And the centre point marks the forward view.

What is the make and model of the one that you are using?
johnmd

Postby Johan G » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:57 pm

johnmd wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:57 pm:On the back side is a leaver that will swing up and down about 30 degrees. [...] When I first put on Flight Gear it was automatically selected as the nose wheel steering. I got changed to the throttle. It worked but you have to have it half way through it's stroke for the engine to idle, From that point you can move it either direction and the engine speed will increase.

Oh, so in theory it should have idle at one end of the stroke and full power at the other, but somehow in practice it has idle in the middle and full power at each end of the stroke? I could see how that would be more than a little annoying.

That is a bit of a weird behavior. Looking in the configuration file, $FG_ROOT/Input/Joysticks/Logitech/extreme-3d-pro.xml (where $FG_ROOT is the ../data/.. directory of your FlightGear installation) it looks like it should per default be the throttle and work the normal way:
Code: Select all
<!-- ... -->
* Axis 3 (slider): throttle
<!-- ... -->
 <axis>
  <desc>Throttle</desc>
  <number>
   <unix>3</unix>
   <windows>2</windows>
   <mac>3</mac>
  </number>
  <binding>
   <command>nasal</command>
   <script>controls.throttleAxis()</script>
  </binding>
 </axis>
<!-- ... -->

One possibility could be that your joystick do not match one of the names FlightGear would look for when loading the joystick configuration. For various reasons that sometimes happen. It can differ between firmware revisions and even if drivers are installed or not.

Could you check the reported joystick name? You can find that in the Joystick Configuration dialog (Main Menu > File > Joystick Configuration).

If the reported name is not found in the the list of names FlightGear will look for you will have to add it yourself. The names in the file (as listed on the FlightGear source code repository) are these:
<!-- ... -->
 <name>Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D Pro</name>
 <name>Logitech Extreme 3D Pro</name>
 <name>Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB</name>
 <name>Logitech  Extreme  3D  Pro USB</name>
 <name>Logitech Extreme 3D</name>
 <name>Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D</name>
<!-- ... -->

Ysop wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 am:What is the make and model of the one that you are using?

johnmd wrote in Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm:Logitech Extreme 3 D Pro

3D mittalaitteen ohjain by Helar Lukats, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:05 pm

V12 wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 am:My joystick for throttle indicates zero value in mid. Range is from -128 to 128.

my T16000M is the same way... i'm not so sure it is really for throttle but...

so when i set mine up and it asked for the zero position, i slid the throttle all the way back toward me and hit the key... then all the way forward to hit the next key and i have full slide of the throttle... it is touchy, though... not because of the way i calibrated it but jut because of the way it is made and being such a short throw...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Ysop » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:27 pm

johnmd wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:59 pm:
Ysop wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 am:Maybe the little resistance or click marking the 50%. Actually this is only disturbing if you think it is disturbing.

What is the make and model of the one that you are using?

Thrustmaster T-Flight stick X. Works perfectly fine. T16000M is a good replacement candidate.
Throtte is Saitek throttle quadrant. Turned out to be a game changer, as much nicer than the fiddly throttles on joysticks.
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby johnmd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 pm

Johan G wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:57 pm:
johnmd wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:57 pm:On the back side is a leaver that will swing up and down about 30 degrees. [...] When I first put on Flight Gear it was automatically selected as the nose wheel steering. I got changed to the throttle. It worked but you have to have it half way through it's stroke for the engine to idle, From that point you can move it either direction and the engine speed will increase.

Oh, so in theory it should have idle at one end of the stroke and full power at the other, but somehow in practice it has idle in the middle and full power at each end of the stroke? I could see how that would be more than a little annoying.

That is a bit of a weird behavior. Looking in the configuration file, $FG_ROOT/Input/Joysticks/Logitech/extreme-3d-pro.xml (where $FG_ROOT is the ../data/.. directory of your FlightGear installation) it looks like it should per default be the throttle and work the normal way:
<!-- ... -->
* Axis 3 (slider): throttle
<!-- ... -->
 <axis>
  <desc>Throttle</desc>
  <number>
   <unix>3</unix>
   <windows>2</windows>
   <mac>3</mac>
  </number>
  <binding>
   <command>nasal</command>
   <script>controls.throttleAxis()</script>
  </binding>
 </axis>
<!-- ... -->

One possibility could be that your joystick do not match one of the names FlightGear would look for when loading the joystick configuration. For various reasons that sometimes happen. It can differ between firmware revisions and even if drivers are installed or not.

Could you check the reported joystick name? You can find that in the Joystick Configuration dialog (Main Menu > File > Joystick Configuration).

If the reported name is not found in the the list of names FlightGear will look for you will have to add it yourself. The names in the file (as listed on the FlightGear source code repository) are these:
<!-- ... -->
 <name>Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D Pro</name>
 <name>Logitech Extreme 3D Pro</name>
 <name>Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB</name>
 <name>Logitech  Extreme  3D  Pro USB</name>
 <name>Logitech Extreme 3D</name>
 <name>Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D</name>
<!-- ... -->

Ysop wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 am:What is the make and model of the one that you are using?

johnmd wrote in Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm:Logitech Extreme 3 D Pro

3D mittalaitteen ohjain by Helar Lukats, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

I think you might have given me the code for Linux but I'm running windows 10 and I don't see anything like this in those files.
johnmd

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:35 am

johnmd wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 pm:I think you might have given me the code for Linux but I'm running windows 10 and I don't see anything like this in those files.

1. please quote only relevant part IF you quote at all...
2. the code is the same no matter what OS...
3. are you looking in the proper file(s)? they are in your FG data directory which is known by various similar names (eg: FG_ROOT, FGData, "data")...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Hardware