Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

How to test / improve scenery

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

How to test / improve scenery

Postby kemosabe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:43 am

Hi all,

I am flying FG 2020.3.9 using iMac Retina 5K 2017 with 24 GB RAM and Intel quad-core I5.

I have adjusted many settings (View, Rendering, etc.) and am getting decent FPS. I have flown mostly in Eastern US airports, and the scenery (at my settings) is decent. However, I tried flying today out of Benton Airfield (one mile from Redding, CA) and found the scenery to be not realistic at all. For fun, I flew to nearby Redding airport, and FG didn't even show it at all.

With the second situation, maybe I need to separately download scenery? I have turned on autoload scenery? However, re Benton Airfield, I am not sure why the scenery looks so primitive, compared with Trenton, NJ, airport, which I have flown out of.

I am wondering if there are two or three things that I could do to quickly see if my Mac is capable of displaying the best scenery available on FG.

Thank you.
kemosabe

Re: How to test / improve scenery

Postby V12 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:01 am

Try take off from KLGA, then turn to north and fly over Manhattan. This is heaviest and best scenery in the FG world. Another beautifull place is Innsbruck (LOWI) in Austria, scenery is developed very good.
Last edited by V12 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:41 pm

kemosabe wrote in Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:43 am:With the second situation, maybe I need to separately download scenery? I have turned on autoload scenery? However, re Benton Airfield, I am not sure why the scenery looks so primitive, compared with Trenton, NJ, airport, which I have flown out of.

please try to include the ICAO/IATA for airports... is benton airfield BZF? if so, it may be that there has simply been no scenery development in that area...

i just tried to load benton using "BZF" but FG doesn't know it... so i am trying "benton" in the search box... the results return 9 entities with "benton" in their names...

H96 - Benton Municipal
NC36 - Bentons Airfield
PA40 - Benton
O85 - Benton Field
1K1 - Benton
0M4 - Benton County
KVBT - Bentonville Municipal Louise M Thaden Field
79S - Fort Benton
BNR - Benton Ridge NDB

so which one?

NC36 is in North Carolina
PA40 is in Pennsylvania
KVBT is in Arkansas
79S is in Montana

i'm guessing O85? if this is the right one, i'm not sure what you mean by primitive... it appears that there are at least OSM buildings and roads there...

[edit] i'm not sure what you mean when you say that FG didn't show KRDD... it seems to be there for me with both runways and the beacon... no buildings, per se, but it is there...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby kemosabe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks, wkitty42 and V12.

Yes, 085 is Benton Airfield, near Redding, CA.

I had been watching X-plane Youtube video on practicing airport patterns.

With scenery auto download turned on, FG was showing a bare-bones single-strip runway. As a check, I flew on to Redding Airport (KRDD), and there was nothing there. MAP showed I was flying right over runway, but I could see nothing there there.

I am thinking it's probably my scenery settings. As I said, I have been tweaking to keep FPR above 30. On the other hand, when I fly out of KTTN (Trenton-Mercer, NJ), scenery looks pretty good.
kemosabe

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:47 pm

yeah, sounds like you don't have the OpenSceneMaps buildings and roads enabled in the Rendering dialog... check the dropdown for buildings in there...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Hardware