Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

8 vs 16 vs 32gb ram and FlightGear  Topic is solved

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Re: 8 vs 16 vs 32gb ram and FlightGear

Postby V12 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:21 am

You have problem somewhere in the config. 737-800YV is resource light jet, You should have much better fps. Does works Your GPU in accelerated mode ? No driver problem ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby pb321 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:44 pm

Checked the Settings in nVidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings. I had FlightGear customized settings for optimized performance for previous versions of FlightGear but not the 2020.4.0 version I'm using now, so I made sure I put the settings used for previous versions into a new Program Setting for the latest version. Then checked the 737-800 in FG. FPS starts at 11-12 but quickly settles down to just 1 before start-up. Very occasionally it will go for short periods to 5-11 fps.

I checked Windows 10 Graphics Settings and added a "High Performance" Desktop App preference for this latest version, as I had for the previous versions. Unfortunately, behavior was the same.

Driver is nVidia 461.40. Device Manager shows no conflicts/issues for GTX 750 Ti. So now I'm using Task Manager to try to find out if some process is slowing FG performance. Memory use is high at about 60% with FG running.
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby V12 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:19 pm

What is Your CPU ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby pb321 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:44 pm

AMD Phenom II X4 955

The following link indicates what I read about the hardware acceleration setting: https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nv3d/To_adjust_3D_hardware_acceleration.htm. However, I don't have this specific setting. Instead, my control panel reads "Manage 3D Settings" and as two of the settings "Optimize for Computer Performance" (set ON) and "Power Management Mode" (set to "Prefer Maximum Performance". Are these are the settings you referred to?
pb321

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:05 pm

oof... that CPU is getting rather long in the tooth... it was first released in 2008... you might should consider a system upgrade... i say that because changing the CPU will require a new motherboard because the socket is different... that will bring a memory upgrade as well because of the DIMM sockets' changes... that will most likely bring a further upgrade to the PSU due to power requirements of the newer electronics...

i do not say the above lightly, either... i'm one who has been well known to use older equipment long past its normal EoL... in my case, i generally turned them into servers until they just could not keep up or experienced failures that lead to their complete replacement because they were too old to get parts for...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pb321 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:51 pm

I agree with your conclusion, @wkitty42!. The reason for this memory question in the first place was that I just received my first purchase toward upgrading (replacing?) my desktop, a new X570 motherboard, and am looking at what memory to buy. The old 955 CPU has just a little less processing power than the most powerful my old motherboard can accept, so it's time to replace it and other components, if not the entire system.

I have a 600 watt power supply that "may" be able to be reused -- I'm not sure yet. The wattage of the new system should be less than what I have now. The case may also be reused and the cooler is a decent one that I purchased about a year ago. But it's time for a major upgrade, for sure.

Next purchases are memory (32gb based on this thread and what I've read on the MSFS Forum) and a processor (Ryzen 5600x). Later I plan to add two M2 SSDs and (much later) a new GPU (when prices come down to realistic levels).

From what you and @V12 have said, it sounds like even using the old 750Ti with the components listed above I should realize a major increase in LOD, be able to use aircraft of greater complexity and use better scenery. True?
pb321

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:06 pm

i think so... i've not tested my new Ryzen 7 setup with one of my old GT730 GPUs but i have considered to add one to that system as a secondary GPU for an additional monitor or two... that system currently has an RTX2060 as that was what i settled for last August when i purchased everything... but yes, i would expect the additional memory and processor power to be of benefit similar to what i saw here...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Hardware