Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

OpenTx Joystick not working as expected

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

OpenTx Joystick not working as expected

Postby grahamjamesaddis » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:12 pm

I have a Taranis FrSky which I'm using to control FlightGear.

I've mapped five proportional axes axis-0 through axis-5

I was struggling to get all the mapped axes working correctly in FlightGear, so I checked the mappings using a web based joystick tester https://gamepad-tester.com/ and all five axes were working as expected.

Checking with js_demo axis 0, 1 and 2 were working correctly however axis 3 and 4 were showing nothing.

Strangely axis 5 seemed to be mapped to what ought to have been the output of axis 3.

Anybody have any idea where I might have gone wrong? Thanks.
grahamjamesaddis

Re: OpenTx Joystick not working as expected

Postby zakalawe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:14 pm

If js_demo doesn't report all the axes, that's a bad sign indeed. I Googled some information on how these devices appear, but there doesn't seem to be much public info.

It's possible they might work better as a HID device, but that's unfortunately awkward to setup with FlightGear on Windows.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby grahamjamesaddis » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 pm

Thanks
zakalawe wrote in Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:14 pm:If js_demo doesn't report all the axes, that's a bad sign indeed

Yep, it didn't seem a good sign. I can probably do what I need mixing some controls using some nasal code, and would have had to have done that eventually anyway.

It was just easier to do the mixing in the receiver to get the model working in principle, rather than learning how to write in nasal. That will teach me to take shortcuts...;)
grahamjamesaddis

Postby zakalawe » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:29 pm

I found some docs, it *should* appear as an eight-axis joystick. We do support joysticks with that many axes, so I'm not sure why it's screwing up: from what I found, it should work just fine. Certainly would be good to debug it, before you write some complex mixing code.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Return to Hardware