Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

David Clark USB for my home sim

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

David Clark USB for my home sim

Postby TIM45454 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Has anyone tried using the David Clark USB headset?
TIM45454

Re: David Clark USB for my home sim

Postby TIM45454 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:43 pm

To clarify, I'm looking at getting these: /david-clark-model-h-usb
but could use any opinions before buying!
Last edited by bugman on Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The user's account creation time, posting times, and not revisiting exactly matches bot behaviour. So I have disabled the product purchase page link.
TIM45454

Postby Johan G » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:33 pm

While they certainly look the part, they are very expensive. You can literally buy studio quality sports commentator headsets for that price, which would very likely have immensely better audio quality, both headphones and microphone. I would rather buy a gaming headset and spend (some of) the remaining money on a flight computer instead (E-6B or CR, but none that require batteries).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Avionyx » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:14 am

I use a 'Normal' David Clark H10-60 headset plugged into a USB converter.

That way you've got a headset that:
1) You can use in a normal aircraft
2) Parts are far more readily available
3) A little bit better made for rugged day to day use IMHO.
4) Will keep it's value better should you need to sell it.

I got what is a £410 headset for about £280 in a Christmas sale a few years ago and got the USB converter (there are loads available) for about £50

Even if you pay full retail price for the headset it'll be cheaper than the USB one, and if you aren't going to use it for regular 'real' flying then a H10-30 would be probably far more appropriate, and you can get a barely used one on eBay for £160, or new for around £300...still far cheaper than the USB option and I really reckon probably a better buy.

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby Avionyx » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:17 am

Just as a follow up the H10-60 I did get primarily for use in aircraft, not for a home sim. You can certainly tell that it's not designed for PC use. You wouldn't listen to music with it or anything like that. It's designed for clarity of voice and use with a radio so no crystal clear HD sounds. It does work very nicely for voice comms though but don't expect to listen to the SIM sounds and the engine/ambient sounds to come through perfectly. Aviation headsets are designed for one thing and one thing only.
Adds to the experience though which I guess is part of the reason you'd want it.
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby Johan G » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 am

Avionyx wrote in Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:17 am:[My David Clark H10-60 headset is] designed for clarity of voice and use with a radio so no crystal clear HD sounds. It does work very nicely for voice comms though but don't expect to listen to the SIM sounds and the engine/ambient sounds to come through perfectly. Aviation headsets are designed for one thing and one thing only.

That would be exactly what I would expect from aviation headsets. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Hardware