Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Blue Tooth Headset

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Blue Tooth Headset

Postby Robertfm » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:58 am

I have just purchased a new set of noise cancelling headset. They have paired correctly and work on Videos. What they don't do is appear in FG Sound Configuration.

Any assistance would be welcome.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Re: Blue Tooth Headset

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:17 pm

why should they appear in FG? FG only sends sound to your sound device... where that device sends it is outside of FG's purview...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Robertfm » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:25 pm

You have to select the sound device you are using from the Sound configuration setting. On my laptop the headphones appear in the FG Sound, drop down list and works fine. On my main system headphones don't appear in FG Sound drop down and don't work. However the headphones work fine on videos played o my main system.

Edit: After a lot of fiddling with various settings unloading the Bluetooth software reloaded etc. It now shows in FG Sound Configuration and works. Really doesn't make sense but hey it's working.

Additional issue now. When I switch headphones off & when flying I lose all sound which is an issue I have encountered before. The sound won't restart until you exit FG & restart it. Is there a code to put in settings to stop this.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Fri May 14, 2021 4:21 pm

I have resurrected this again because I would like to know if there is a short code for settings to stop losing the sound. It doesn't do it when I switch off my old wireless headphones that are hardwired via it's base station but does with blue tooth.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:12 pm

what "sound card" is FG using when your new bluetooth headset is working? look in F10->File-Sound config when in-sim...

when you turn off the headset, that "sound card" is likely disappearing... more eWAG from a linux guy and how some of his devices work...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Robertfm » Fri May 14, 2021 5:54 pm

The sound doesn't disappear, when I switch headphones back on they are immediately active but still no sound from FG. I have even now found
--enable-sound and put it in settings. Another mystery, why wifi speakers switching off doesn't delete sound but Bluetooth do.

Edit: Does anyone else use Bluetooth Headphones and experience a similar issue.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:06 pm

wifi speakers? wifi is a networking thing... like the internet uses...
bluetooth is kinda similar but different...
it could easily be that the wifi speakers simply do not remove their device like bluetooth stuff does...

as an example, my phone and tablet have both been paired together and both to my new system... when one is off, it does not appear in the list of the other two... when i turn that one back on, it does appear... connecting to each of them and using them across devices is another set of steps... i see similar with my USB wired headphones in that when they are plugged in, i have to tell FG to use them for sound if i want to hear it in them... when i unplug them, i have to tell FG to use one of the other devices that appear as sound cards...

is it weird? yes... very much so to those of us used to a specific item being called a "sound card" but like the term "modem" it has been ""co-opted"" to mean something else... granted, the action performed is similar but... i mean, i'm still trying to get used to my video card having a supposed ""sound card"" on it for the display port and the HDMI port which carry sound to the monitors instead of using another cable from the actual sound card... are we confuzzled, yet? i sure am at times...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Robertfm » Fri May 14, 2021 9:32 pm

As I tried to say the sound card doesn't disappear from the Sound Configuration file and is still showing as active for the bluetooth Headphones. The Headphones are connected. With the other headset it is connected to the graphics card with a 3.5mm jack, via the the headsets base station.
Robertfm

Return to Hardware