Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

No sound in Flightgear 2020.1.1

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

No sound in Flightgear 2020.1.1

Postby sakana » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:47 am

I'm Japanese and I can't write English so I use the translation software available on the web. So there may be some translations that I don't understand. If this is the case, I would appreciate it if you could ask me questions.

Nice to meet you.

I'm currently using Flightgear 2020.1.1 to enjoy flying to various international locations.

But yesterday I launched it and tried to enjoy the flight.

I'm having a problem with no sound.

I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

Thank you for your help.

Airframe
B777-300 obtained from the Flightgear launcher (fgfs)
The Cessna 172P Skyhawk that was originally in the Flightgear launcher.
OS
Linux Mint Ulyama (focal)
The phenomenon in question
Start it up, start the engine, and you don't hear any revving or other sounds at all.
I've tried.
1.Reinstall Flightgear (not resolved)
2. Reboot the PC (not resolved)

I'm a newbie and I still have a lot to learn, but I'm looking forward to working with you.
Last edited by Gijs on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove link to Translator
sakana

Re: No sound in Flightgear 2020.1.1

Postby danielHL » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:48 am

Hi,

welcome :) that's all perfectly readable and very good first information on a problem report.

Can you check your desktop sound mixer while flightgear is running - there should be a separate volume slider for fgfs (I suppose mint uses pulseaudio?). Also in the simulator window check the settings in the Menu File - Sound configuration and play around with the volume sliders.

Lastly - is 2020.1 the official version in the Mint repositories or where did you install that from?

Cheers,
Daniel
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby sakana » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:50 am

Thanks for the reply.
I registered and installed Flightgear in the repository ( ppa:saiarcot895/flightgear) that I found on the Flightgear download page, not the official Mint one.

Also, there is no volume slider for FGFS, simulator in the desktop sound mixer even when FGFS, simulator is running. But software that produces sound, such as Google Chrome, has a solid capacity slider.

I tried to maximize the volume slider in the sound settings that you pointed out, but still no sound comes out.

Lastly: FGFS, the sound output of the simulator is to the speaker on the HDMI monitor. Both the monitor and the desktop sound mixer have the mute setting disabled and the volume set to maximum.

Best regards.
Last edited by Gijs on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove link to Translator
sakana

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:32 pm

when you are in-sim, hit F10 and go to the file menu... then down to sound and ensure the proper sound device is selected...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby sakana » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:09 am

Thanks for the reply.
I looked into it and for some reason the voice device is not recognized on Flightgear (not in the sound device: choice).
Also, I checked the log file (.fgfs/fgfs.log).
/build/simgear-zthhgx/simgear-2020.1.1/simgear/sound/soundmgr_openal.cxx:864: Error: Default audio device not available.
I'm getting an error like this
Please reply to this message.
sakana

Postby danielHL » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:24 am

Hm, this sounds like a general operating system / hardware problem to me. The only thing I'd try before debugging this would be to try and install the stock flightgear from the mint repos (even though they may be older). It could be that the PPA you got FG from has a problem... If sound works with the default version, you'd need to get in touch with the maintainer of the PPA.
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby sakana » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:54 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I installed it with the official Mint package (I put it in the software manager) and it doesn't make a sound!
I tried to build it once and it still doesn't sound right.
Please reply to me.
sakana

Postby Robertfm » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Have you tried playing a video. Do you hear sound. If not it's your Monitor Sound. Your monitor sound may not be selected in the Graphics Card.

If that is OK try putting --enable-sound in Settings in FG launch page then additional settings box. Then click on 3 dots at the very top and quit.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.6

Return to Hardware