Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Video Card recommendation for Optiplex 9010

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Video Card recommendation for Optiplex 9010

Postby alexwi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:21 am

Hi,

Since moving to linux, some 10 years ago, I haven't had a chance to fly (I used to fire up MS' flight simulator every once in a while) and, to be honest, I've been itching for it quite badly. More so after watching some videos.

Since this is for occasional play, I don't want to buy the latest and greatest video card. Cards based on the GTX 1050 are around $130 on ebay, while cards that use the GTX 1650 sell for around $160.

I played a bit with flightgear 2018 (Mint's default) today and even with the computer's built-in Intel HD 4000 it was pretty decent. Should I go for one of the above cards, look for a used GT-640 (the one that sold originally with my computer) for about $50, or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Computer specs:
Optiplex 9010 Mini-tower
Original, 275W PSU
i7-3770
16GB RAM
Linux Mint 19.

I know this is all rather vague, but that's what comes to mind.

Thanks!!!!
alexwi

Re: Video Card recommendation for Optiplex 9010

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 pm

personally speaking, i would go with one of the 1x50 models... i currently have a GT730 and while it is (just) ok having more capability would make for a better experience... depending on where i'm flying and which craft, i get anywhere from 10 fps to 40 fps with the average generally in the 15-20 fps range...

i'm pushing my GPU with an AMD FX8350-black 4Ghz 8core (vishera?) CPU with 16Gig RAM... i'm still using kubuntu 14.04.5, too... need to get another 1TB HD to clone to before attempting OS update to latest LTS...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:35 pm

IMHO, 275W PSU is too weak for 1060 and i7-3770.
GTX1060 needs 120W (https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desk ... ifications), i7-3770 has TPD 77W (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html), Your power reserve is too low.
1050 needs 75W, this is significant lower and 275W PSU should be enough.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:32 am

i didn't even pay any attention to the power supply in that unit... yeah, that's definitely too low... my current rig has a 650watt unit and i think it is a tad too low for what i hope to be pushing soon-ish...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby alexwi » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies!

I ran my system through some PSU calculators and it looks like I need to get a new PSU if I want to use a newer and decent card like the 1650 and even a 1050 would put me in a tight situation from a power perspective, given that I have 2 SSD's 1 HDD and the memory slots fully populated.

Since this is my only desktop and I use it mostly for work, I can't risk overwhelming the PSU.

Considering that I'm OK with the graphics right now (they're not amazing but are a far stretch from my Flightsim days), I'm going to wait a bit and get a more powerful PSU and a 1650, which should make me happy for a long time.

Again, thanks for taking the time to get back to me on this.

Alex
alexwi

Postby SurferTim » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:56 am

I have an Optiplex with a GTX1050TI video card. The 275w power supply wasn't adequate. I could not find an adequate unit that would fit in the case.
I don't mind a Frankenstein computer, so I replaced the internal power supply with a bigger one (600w) from CoolerMaster.
It doesn't fit in the case, but resides behind my case. The cables are long enough to reach the m/b connectors.

No problem now. I have four displays connected to it, and it's working fine.
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby alexwi » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:56 am

I've been reading about this more than I should. Two ways to work around the issue of the PSU's dimensions are to either saw off the latch (and use screws to hold the case's cover in place or to remove the motherboard in order to fit in the PSU.

I've also wasted (ahem, invested) a lot of time reading about GPU's and considering the price differences between the 1050, 1050ti, 1650, and 1650s, I can't imagine the first two staying in the $150 price range for much longer as it makes no sense to buy any of them if $10 - $30 more get you upwards of 50% better performance (newegg, et al must be pretty pissed at nvidea for getting stuck with that inventory), so, as I said, I'm going to hold off until those prices start dropping.

Alex
alexwi

Postby alexwi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:19 pm

Update... ordered an MSI gamer x card, based on the 1650s and a 500W power supply.

This thread got me thinking about the fact that this is my work computer and if its PSU goes I'll be dead in the water until I can get my hands on a replacement, so it made sense to get a new PSU and keep the old one as a spare.

While at it, since the price differences are negligible between the cards I was looking at, decided to go with the 1650s.

I hate waiting, but hopefully It'll all be here on Friday.

Thanks again for the advice!

alex
alexwi

Optiplex 5060MT

Postby DCQCRanch » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:21 am

SurferTim wrote in Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:56 am:I have an Optiplex with a GTX1050TI video card. The 275w power supply wasn't adequate. I could not find an adequate unit that would fit in the case.
I don't mind a Frankenstein computer, so I replaced the internal power supply with a bigger one (600w) from CoolerMaster.
It doesn't fit in the case, but resides behind my case. The cables are long enough to reach the m/b connectors.

No problem now. I have four displays connected to it, and it's working fine.

Tim, what made you determine "The 275w power supply wasn't adequate" to run your 1050ti vid card? That's what I just ordered, but have read an advantage of [nearly] any card that does not need any extra PCIe power, to operate just fine with Dell's stock power. The numbers work anyway, but will know in a few days if it's all true or not. Look'n forward to having this box in hand early this week to see what all I can improve in it.
DCQCRanch

Return to Hardware