Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

DIY & EXTRAS: Who's in the driving seat?

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Re: List of hardware for FlightGear

Postby dilbert » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:12 am

Have an Intel I3 desktop with NVIDIA 210 graphics and 8 GIG of ram that has worked OK for me. Am using a Logitech 3D Pro stick. I'm not that big into realistic scenery, and generally operate with the default rendering options. However, FlightGear has multiple scenery enhancement options-power lines, detailed roads, and buildings;also complex graphics effects-Atmospheric light scattering, 3D clouds, etc; all of which put more demand on the processor and memory. So, in that case, you might consider an I5 or better,16 GIG ram and Invidia 710, or equivalent. However, I would first give priority to investing in a really good monitor. Best Regards
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:00 pm

I actually run a lot of enhancememts fine with a low-end separate GPU with 4GB of RAM...
For the OP, you only need your mouse and keyboard. A joystick is not required as you can fly with the mouse. The low-end settings work for everything but ultracheap laptops, so you will be more likely fine than not.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby dilbert » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:03 am

This morning ran with all possible view enhancements on my I3 using T2C. Worked perfectly, so feel like my above described system is pretty adequate. However, I was using installed scenery and not automatically
downloading; and the T2C doesn't impose a high load. As far as ram is concerned-use seems to max out at around 4GB. On occasion, it goes slightly above, so 8 GB seems plenty, as Parnikkapore has indicated. In my experience, automatic scenery downloading is the main bottleneck; however, haven't positively identified whether internet connection, WIFI, or machine capacity is the main culprit, though I suspect the former two.
I subsequently left all the enhancements on except ALS. Because, when flying in my part of the world, what immediately strikes one is the greenness of the landscape; and the ALS washes the color out more than I like. Color does disappear with distance and altitude, but on my system ALS reduces the green grass hue immediately adjacent to and while sitting on the runway,
Best Regards :)
Last edited by dilbert on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dilbert

Postby sim » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:07 am

My 10 year old pc has mediochre graphics and 4G of RAM.
It runs earlier versions of Flightgear. Struggles if I instal the latest version.
First priority for me is a good joystick as that will give you the feel for flying real light aeroplanes.
A new joystick needs to run from a well written joystick xml file. Some FG fliers add button modifiers and codes
themselves which can enhance flying FG planes immensely. Moving Viewpoints by buttons or axis makes interesting flying and interesting viewing too in recorded videos.
Foot pedals too if you have the space and want 100% realism.
Mouse & keyboard works fine for normal flight but joystick is much more realistic and essential if you do aerobatics as per my video....

sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Postby dilbert » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Bergen on my I3
dilbert

Return to Hardware