Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

CH Rudder Pedals

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Re: CH Rudder Pedals

Postby stuart » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi Gunner,

Great. So much of FG is controlled by XML files that it's really useful to know how XML works. u

No idea where js_demo will have gotten to - it should be somewhere like D:\Program Files\FlightGear 2017.3\bin\win32\ or D:\Program Files\FlightGear 2017.3\bin\.

Put the configuration file in D:/Program Files/FlightGear 2017.3/Data/Input/Joysticks/CH/, and then remove the equivalent file from C:/users/gunner/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org /input/joysticks/. Make sure to use a <name> element so it gets picked up.

BTW - CH Products are kindly sending my a throttle so I can write a configuration file. It will hopefully arrive tomorrow, so I'll be able to work on a config file over the weekend.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby gunner » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Hey there Stuart! Interestingly enough I don't have a \win32 folder anywhere in the structure. That js_demo file is no where to be found. <shrug>.

I looked around the Credits page last night. Found your name several times. Now I'm even more impressed! Back when the Flight Simulator Forum on Compuserve was pretty much the center of online flight simulation community I don't recall you hanging around with us. Of course a couple of generations have come and gone since then... you may well be too young to even know about that time and place. Assorted changes in ownership kept us from being the place for online multi-player. MS had purchased an online multi-player site for gaming they called the Microsoft Gaming Zone, mostly card games, that type of thing. They hired me to be one of the 3 managers for the site (the second contract they signed me to and well outside thei MS rules but we got away with it <G>) and it soon became obvious to us on the Flight Sim Team at MS that platform was the obvious place for the multi-player Flight Simulator. Working closely with the Zone Team we got multiplayer ready for FS98 and the rest, as they say, is history. This was about the time that the higher ups at MS came to realize that keeping all the file structures secret was counter productive so they allowed the FS Team to first "leak" and then publish the internals. I don't think anybody saw how big the online component would become. Guys on your side of the pond really made the difference... thinking Pete Dowson here with FSUIPC as an example. A buddy of mine here in Florida was a Northwest 747 captain. He built a home cockpit using Pete's program that linked 21 computers driving 19 monitors to replicate a 747 cockpit. I feel confident that none of us foresaw FG though. You guys have done an incredible, unbelievable job here. I'm impressed beyond words.

I'm glad CH is helping you out. I'll look forward to what you produce. I want the switches on the throttle quadrant to control the autopilot and lighting if you are interested in what I'm thinking.

Thanks again!

-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
gunner

Version: 2017.3.1

Postby stuart » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Hi Gunner,

I'm slightly too young for Compuserve, at least in terms of involvement with flight sims online :). Yes, the online element of flightsimming is really interesting. I remember when we first had MP support in FG, and I flew with a guy from KSFO to KHAF, using IRC chat to communicate. It was just a very small hop but suddenly I was no-longer flying alone!

I've got a first attempt at the throttle quadrant controls here: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgdata/ci/next/tree/Input/Joysticks/CH/throttle-quadrant.xml?format=raw

If you don't yet have your throttle quadrant axes working, then try copying it into D:/Program Files/FlightGear 2017.3/Data/Input/Joysticks/CH/, select the quadrant from the Joystick Configuration menu, and press "Reload Configuration". That should reload your config with the file.

If you've already got them working, then don't touch anything! Not worth breaking your config for.

For the moment, I've just set up the buttons to control flaps, spoilers, slats and gear (from left to right). That still leaves the two rightmost switched un-assigned.

I'm thinking that it might be worth having two sets of controls, for example one for a 172, and another for multi-engine aircraft. I'd be interested in your thoughts as to button assignments. I definitely want to include flaps and gear for complex aircraft. Not sure what else is worthwhile given that trim will be on a yoke/joystick.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Kaosiia » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Hello,

I am trying to configure my yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant to be able to fly a Cessna 172p. As of now, it seems as though none of these things are configured properly. It does not look like my quadrant works and my yoke and pedals seem to be connected but they don't do what I want them to do/ what they are supposed to do.
When I go into joystick configuration, only one device shows - the yoke' although the pedals is also connected as an input device to computer and the throttle quadrant is connected to the yoke.

my throttle has PS2 type connector which I connect to the yoke. When i go to control panel and play with the device to see what it picks up, moving the yoke i get a response from the game controller settings, moving the quadrant, nothing happens.

there is a green light on the pedal. My pedals come up on my computer as "Flight Rudder Pedals". I added this name to the saitek xml configuration file on flightgear because i noticed it was not there. Still, it does not show up when i go to the dropdown menu Joystick Configuration on flight gear. Only the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke shows up and it is configured to a yoke configuration file in the Saitek folder.

My throttle does not even work. I AM SO FUSTRATED. PLEASE HELP ME
Any help will be appreciated.
Kaosiia

Previous

Return to Hardware