Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

joystick

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

joystick

Postby edpam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 am

Hi I am a newbie to Linux, and I am running flightgear successfully on Linux mint 18.1. At present I am using a Microsoft joystick --worse for wear after 20yrs!
I can get hold of a "Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO Joystick advanced controls for Windows PC" Will I be able to run this joystick on my system??
Best wishes
edpam

Re: joystick

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 am

you should be able to... as long as the connector is supported by your machine and operating system...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby edpam » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Thank you for your reply. I purchased the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick and had the system working in minutes.
I can highly recommend this Logiteck Joystick for the FGFS linux system :D
edpam

Postby Steve R. » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 am

I recently bought a Thrustmaster for FlightGear. I am running Linux (Ubuntu 16.04). I am having an issue in that the joystick appears way too sensitive. Due to the lack of experience, I don't know whether this would be considered normal or not. I would guess not.

I used "jstest-gtk" to calibrate the joystick. I also made some minor manual adjustments so that when FlightGear loads all the joystick settings are at "0" and range fully to "1". Nevertheless, the slightest move of the joystick seems to destabilize the C-172.

Does the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick seem to have a full range of motion that does not immediately destabilize the aircraft?
Steve R.

Postby Parnikkapore » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am

Unless you're flying an Airbus, fighter or glider, I recommend setting the factor to 0.3 . Yokes move much more than joysticks.
I set mine (Extreme 3D Pro) to 0.25 .
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Steve R. » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Parnikkapore wrote in Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am:... I recommend setting the factor to 0.3.
I've decreased, at least I believe, the sensitivity of the joystick down to approximately 26%. The C-172 is much more stable. It will take more experimentation to determine what the best settings would be.
------------------------------------------------------------
To test what is happening by changing the joystick properties, I put Flightgear into Fly-By View. I was able to observe that changing the joystick's property values changed how the rudder and elevators mover proportionality instead of full movement but with less joystick sensitivity. To rephrase, when I reduced the Joystick property value for the rudder by 50% the rudders movement was decreased by 50%. I had hoped that the rudder would still move by 100% with the joystick property value reduced by 50% thereby effectively making the joystick less sensitive.
---------------------------------------------------------
Since posting, I found this article: Writing Joystick Code: Part 1. I have not yet experimented with it, but it would seem to be the correct approach to reducing joystick sensitivity. (December 17, 2015 edit)
Last edited by Steve R. on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve R.

Postby sim » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Also tweaking the planes FDM rudder codes may achieve less rudder sensitivity.
Had the opposite problem with the lethargic roll rate of the 777 when practicing inverted flying and slow rolls. A quick dip into the 777 aileron code and she soon rolled twice as fast. Not recommended for a real Boeing 777 but great fun in Flightgear! :wink:
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Postby Aigle Royal » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:37 am

Hello,

Could any one help me please.
I bought a USB DRX DSM2 dongle and I would like to pilot a model glider with my Spektrum DX6i radio.
My computer run the latest Ubuntu version.
I do not see anywhere in FlightGear an input option to select USB dongle and DX6i.
Where should I be looking for please?
Aigle Royal

Postby panash » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 pm

To the best of my knowledge these radio control transmitters work in one of two modes; a pulse coded modulation (PCM) and a pulse position modulation (PPM) and it depends on your dongle how it appears to the system.

If you are using a recent version of windows see if the joystick is recognised in "game controllers". If it is you should be able to look on advanced or properties and calibrate it. If it is stuck over to one side the the transmitter is probably in PCM mode. If so switch it over and see if this makes a difference.

When you have done this come back.

And remember to switch it back before you go to the flying field!

Just noticed that you run. Ubuntu Quick Google gives an equivalent utility https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... stest-gtk/
panash

Return to Hardware