Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

INCREASING joystick axis sensitivity / range of motion?

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

INCREASING joystick axis sensitivity / range of motion?

Postby leafjuice » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Having trouble with elevator/ailerons barely moving when using a joystick (Saitek ST200, running FG 2017.3.1 on Mac).

I've managed to center the controls using an offset in the default joystick xml file (/Users/username/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/Input/Joysticks/joystick.xml), but can't figure out how to adjust the sensitivity so they have a full range of motion? Essentially unable to pitch & roll (yoke moves very slightly); throttle will only open to around 70%.

Help much appreciated - thanks in advance! New to the forum, so hopefully this is in the right place.
leafjuice

Re: INCREASING joystick axis sensitivity / range of motion?

Postby V12 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 am

You shoul try some joystick calibration tool.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Ju388L » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:49 am

I am not familiar with Mac, but it should come with a built-in tool/Dialog to to calibrate the joystick. The important bit here is to use the calibration provided from the operating System (OS) side first.
Ju388L

Postby Icarus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:14 pm

leafjuice wrote in Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:11 pm:Having trouble with elevator/ailerons barely moving when using a joystick (Saitek ST200, running FG 2017.3.1 on Mac).

I'm not familiar with that joystick, and unfortunately, MacOS does not have any calibration tools.

I've made a Mac utility that can generate code to include w/in your joystick XML file ,usefull for joysticks w/poor factory calibration:

Zip file download: Joystick Probe

It's been years since anyone needed or used it, so don't know if it ill help, but it might. At the very least, it will show how far off your calibration is.

Icarus

Version: 2.12

Postby dbsamson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:25 am

Hi Icarus,

Thanks for this utility. It appeared to run successfully for me (Mac Mojave 10.14.6) but it didn't write the XML file. I've made sure that I have write permissions in the appropriate directory. Any ideas?

Thx
dbsamson

Return to Hardware