Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

CH Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle Quadrant, LogitechX3D setup

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

CH Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle Quadrant, LogitechX3D setup

Postby KurtKrDu » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi! I'm a complete Noob at programming and setting things up. I'd appreciate it if a few of you could help walk me through the process, please!?

I've read this: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10624&p=108903&hilit=ch+throttle+quadrant+setup#p108903
I think I understand in general, but I've not yet understood the mechanics of it.

So here I go!! in hope of getting setup properly!

System:
- Asus laptop
- CPU: AMD Quad core AB-7200P
- 8gig RAM
- Windows 10
- FlightGear-2017.1.2 being installed right now...

Input device connection:
- Insignia 7 port USB hub (powered)

Input devices wanted:
- CH Yoke
- CH Rudder Pedals
- CH Throttle Quadrant (6 axis, 12 button)
- Extra keyboard (for Co-Pilot)
- Mouse (for View)
- Optional: Logitech X3D (Extreme 3D Pro) Joystick (for having way more options than I need :D , and also for a co-pilot)

I have used the Yoke and Pedals on the Cessna 172P and everything works great! But when I connected the Throttle Quadrant, the left throttle was ok, the right throttle was the elevator... and it was even worse when I added the Logitech X3D.

I think I just have double and triple axis assignments for everything and they are likely conflicting.

What is step 1?

Thanks!
KurtKrDu

Version: 2017.2.1

Re: CH Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle Quadrant, LogitechX3D s

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Have you tried opening up the "joysick" folder in the files when running flightgear? If you open this you should be able to configure what button(s) do what?
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby KurtKrDu » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Yes thanks!! That's exactly what I stumbled upon! I didn't realize that I could choose the drop box and change each joysticks parameters separately. I thought I was to switch joysticks. Ok that is progress. I told you I was a Noob!! ;)

So now I'm configuring each button on every joystick to make sure the assignments make sense. I'm afraid my dual Throttle - Prop - Mix controls on my CH Throttle Quadrant doesn't work individually though.

The next step would be to open the .xml files and play with that? If I change between planes that have different engine configurations, will I need to play in the .xml file every time I switch?
KurtKrDu

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 pm

Ahhhh, now you have me stumped sorry!!! You don't have to be new to learn something every day you know!!! Glad I was of some help though! Maybe, repost the question, but slightly differently maybe asking that paragraph and you might get the answers you require. Happy flying!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby stuart » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi KurtKrDu,

Could you explain in a little more detail how your dual Throttle Quadrant isn't working? Is the problem that you've got two of these quadrants?

I created the Joystick Configuration dialog, and it's possible that I've made a design mistake.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby KurtKrDu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks for the help!

I have the CH Yoke throttle/prop/mix levers (3) that I have assigned to nothing. On the Logitech X3D I have also assigned the throttle to nothing
I have the CH Throttle Quadrant (2xThrottle/2xProp/2xMixture) that is setup, but here is what happens:

Left and right Throttle: Each lever operate both in-game throttles. Both levers must be moved together or twitching causes in-game throttle to fall back to the lowest input throttle.
The Prop and Mix levers operate the same way.
KurtKrDu

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi Kurt,

Thanks - that's very clear.

I'll take a look.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:01 pm

HI,

OK. I've got the bottom of this. The problem is that the Joystick Configuration dialog doesn't support different axis for each throttle, and ends up trying to control both throttles at the same time from both controllers, which then fight over each other.

I can modify the config dialog to support multi-axis throttles. However, that will be quite speculative, as I don't have a throttle quadrant. How familiar are you with the internals of FlightGear, and messing around with files? I may be able to provide a modified version of the Joystick Configuration dialog that fixes the issue. However, it probably won't be until after Easter as I've got other commitments.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby KurtKrDu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks Stuart!! That is very generous of you!

I have downloaded an .xml file editor and I am quite keen on learning how to modify what you guys call the 'bindings'.
I eventually want to remap my Throttle Quadrant buttons to be used as my switches (battery/alternator/avionics/beacon/strobe, etc) so I'd better be learning what I can with your help. ;)
KurtKrDu

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi KurtKrDu,

I've made a change to the Joystick Configuration dialog which will be in the next release.

If you want to learn more about custom joystick settings, have a look at the Wiki - http://wiki.flightgear.org/Input_device and at some of the files inside the Input directory of your installation.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby KurtKrDu » Sat May 13, 2017 4:33 am

Can't wait!!

While I'm waiting on Phase 1: Dual engine control with new code in next release.....

My Phase 2 is to fix my calibration issue. My rudder twitches and my yoke isn't quite straight. Where can we calibrate joysticks in Win10? It seems as years go by we have less and less control over our actions ;)

(Phase 3 will be to assign my cockpit switches to my 12 buttons on the quadrant)

EDIT: I found the Win10 calibrations and I even calibrated my CH Throttle Quadrant hoping it might at least work somewhat until the update.
KurtKrDu

Postby KurtKrDu » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:41 am

BTW there has been no change since the update, in that the dual throttle controls still don't operate separately :(
KurtKrDu

Postby stuart » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:59 am

Hi KurtKrDu,

You will need to modify your configuration manually, by selecting "Throttle 1" or "Throttle 2" etc. from the Joystick Configuration dialog for each of the levers.

-Stuart
Last edited by stuart on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pressed Submit too soon
G-MWLX
stuart

Return to Hardware