Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

I am trying to use this gamepad

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

I am trying to use this gamepad

Postby mangurian » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:16 pm

The generic cheapo gamepad shown below is identified as a generic usb joystick by FG.
It only makes one xml file available under joystick configuration.

Only the left controller. I would like to find an xml file that takes greater advantage of all the gamepad's controls.

Any suggestion on which xml file(s) to try?
How can I get FG to allow me to choose a suggested xml?

Thanks for any advise.

mangurian

Re: I am trying to use this gamepad

Postby Johan G » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:34 am

Welcome to the FlightGear forum! :D

The reason it is identified as a generic USB joystick is probably because the name it report to FlightGear do not match the name of any of the devices there is a configuration file for.

In the Joystick dialog (Main menu > File > Joystick Configuration) you can see the name that it reports to FG.

Make a copy of a configuration file for a similar device and rename it (you can find them in the directory data/Input/Joystick in your FG installation).

Open your new configuration file and add the exact name reported in the joystick dialog with <name> tags near the other ones.

Restart FG and open the joystick dialog to make sure that FG have found the new configuration file, and begin tweaking it to suit your needs.

FlightGear is extremely flexible when it comes to configuration and you can do a lot more than the joystick configuration dialog can help you do. :wink:

For more details, see the readme file data/Docs/README.Joystick.html in your FG installation and the FG wiki article Input device (perm).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Hardware