Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Does my PC meet the minimum requirements?

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Does my PC meet the minimum requirements?

Postby Mxnxv » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi, so i'm new here and i'm not really sure whether it will run at a reasonable framerate on my PC.
Here are my specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500
Ram: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel G41 Express Chipset (GMA 4500)

Okay so my main issue is the Graphics Card. On the Wiki, it suggested that i do not use this kind of GPU but i'm still wondering whether it is sufficient for low settings?
I really wanna know before i download it. Thank you.
Mxnxv

Re: Does my PC meet the minimum requirements?

Postby wlbragg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 pm

My system is duo E8400 with a decent nvidia 640 and I can run it reasonably well at the highest settings in most areas.
With low settings, I would think you could.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby PINTO » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:45 pm

@wlbragg - how are you defining highest settings?
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Your graphics cards and RAM must be considered low-end these days, which means that certain aircraft/scenery will end up being a stress-test for your hardware - lower end scenery/aircraft (think IMC/low-visibility night time-flying and 2D panel) should work reasonably well - thus, for IFR-flying, you may find fgfs to work reasonably well, as long the cockpit isn't too complex - i.e. I would definitely suggest trying the c172p first, and a really basic location/airport.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:30 pm

@wlbragg - how are you defining highest settings?

I can almost land the shuttle with ALS set to max. Launch, entry and orbit are all acceptable. Granted the FR is under 10 and it takes minutes to load. Not a gamers idea of acceptable but I can get by.

The C172P, J3Cub, Saab 37 Viggen, F15 all over 10 FR at max ALS with my HEAVY scenery, trees with shadows, particles, 3d clouds. Again, not a gamers idea of acceptable but I can get by.

If I turn a few things down or off and use 2.0 scenery, I get more than acceptable FR on most anything.

I am not trying to give a detailed analysis, or claiming satisfying system performance. Simply a general statement that I can run FG with my specs anywhere from 6 to 30 fps.

I would be most concerned about the GPU that the user has. It will certainly limit thing.
wlbragg

Postby PINTO » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Yeah, wasn't accusing you of anything, I was just curious. Thanks!
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Postby wlbragg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:58 pm

wasn't accusing you of anything

I didn't take it that way, and your welcome!

Your question actually got me to thinking realistically about my system performance and I am more inclined to think it is time for a system upgrade!

Ever since I became a father, (20+ years ago), it seems I only get my children's hand-me downs and I am usually a generation or two behind in technology. I guess it is time to upgrade one of their systems and I might get to move up to an i5. :)

What is really sad is they have i7 laptops with dedicated GPU's for school that can run FG better than my system.
wlbragg

Postby PINTO » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:52 pm

I recently (6 months ago) built a new one with an i5@3.2ghz and a GTX960, upgraded from an overheating AMD@1.4ghz and a mobile APU deal. 100% worth it in my book. My threshold for acceptable frames-per-second sits around 30-40 right now, which boggles my mind as not even a year ago getting 20 FPS was amazing, and 10-15 was acceptable.

PINTO

Postby L4nc3 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:18 am

Hi, I want to know if the game will run at a reasonable framerate with this specs:

CPU: Intel i3 7100U 2.4Ghz
GPU; Intel HD 620 2GB VRAM
RAM; 4GB
OS; Windows 10

But my vram is at 512MB because it would take half my ram if I set it to full. I get 50-60fps on other games like CS:GO.
and pls I want to know if I can get a decent FPS in this game.
L4nc3

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 am

you really should at least double your system RAM to 8Gig... more is better these days... remember that your OS and all the little widgets you have running are using RAM, so you don't have 3.5Gig (4G - 512k for video) available for FG and other things you run...

FWIW: flightgear is a simulator... a simulator is not a game but you can play games in a simulator...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby fdssasa » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:37 pm

Is a Radeon RX 550 and AMD Ryzen 3 good enough
fdssasa

Postby Delta5142 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:43 pm

@fdssasa it should be able to run Flightgear no problem, but you might encounter some low frames on extremely high graphics, i.e. shaders to full, osm2city scenery, high res photoscenery, all at once. Also, a lot of people tend to overestimate the horsepower they need to run FG. I have a pretty trash system (see my profile) but I am, surprisingly, able to run FG at 40 fps in an F-16 over medium density forests in Hawaii with ALS on, but obviously with limited shader settings.

Hope this helped,
Delta5142
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142

Return to Hardware