Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

what joystick works good on Linux (Manjaro)

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

what joystick works good on Linux (Manjaro)

Postby vito49 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:31 am

I'm going to get me a joystick to fly Flightgear instead of continuing using the keyboard ... but I use Linux and are afraid to buy one that doesn't fit. So my question is easy: if you use Linux too what joystick do you recommend?

Many thanks.

Vito
vito49

Callsign: vito49
Version: 2019.1.1

Re: what joystick works good on Linux (Manjaro)

Postby rominet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:43 am

All USB joysticks should work. I can say the Saitek Cyborg 3D USB works fine, but there are many others. You'll have to calibrate your joystick with jscal, save the settings and make sure these settings are reloaded on boot or when you plug your joystick in. Run 'jstest /dev/input/js0' (with the correct device number) to make sure the joystick is properly calibrated at the Linux level. Only after that can you sanely work on the FG-specific joystick config.

If for some joystick axe(s) you want to set a non-zero dead-band in the Linux config (not FG-specific), be aware that when running FG or any other libplibjs-based application, your dead-band will be nuked because of this plib bug.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby jaxsin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:48 am

I got a cheapo from Best Buy, logitech extreme 3d pro or something. Yep works out of box on arch linux. Only thing that should matter is the kernel version though.
jaxsin

Postby Ianio » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:02 pm

im using a thrustmaster hotas x and an xbox 360 pad. both working "out of the box" without need for further calibration. linux mint 17
Ianio

Callsign: ianio
Version: 2016.1

Postby EK00 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Thrustmaster HOTAS x , works out of the box
EK00

Callsign: EK00
Version: 2016.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Thrustmaster T16000M works out of the box...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby benrob0329 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:12 pm

Logitech Attack 3 works fine out of the box on Ubuntu, Fedora, and Arch/Manjaro.

The thing I'd watch out for is stuff like "with 20 programmable buttons" as that can be linked to proprietary software that's Windows only.
benrob0329

Version: 2016.1

Postby vito49 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:12 am

Thank you all for your response. I went to the shop and finally I choose a Thrustmaster Hotas X. But!!! It didn't work well on my Manjaro system ... I had the same phenomenon as I described in an earlier post: the movements of the stick made de mouse-cursor move and/or switch the workspaces, even when FG was not running. The strange thing was that it worked good on my laptop running also XFCE but from Linux Mint, but this laptop is too old to run FG smoothly.
It seemed to be obvious there was something wrong with my new PC! That was a hard thing to take, believe me. Nevertheless I started digging the web for hours, couldn't find anything about the matter, and finally decided to kick Manjaro of my desktop PC and install Mint instead. And guess what ... it works like a charm (for now). It seems Manjaro was the bad boy. I can't understand why ..
Anyway, I made a few short flights yesterday without any problem coming from the joystick.
Thanks again guys!

Vito
from the tormented country Belgium
vito49

Postby rominet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:39 pm

You discovered (without realizing) that a joystick can be treated as a mouse by X.org... No need to switch distribs for that. In Debian, you would have just needed to uninstall the xserver-xorg-input-joystick package; there is certainly a similar way in Manjaro.
rominet

Postby vito49 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Oops, I had no idea ... I can't check it any more for Manjaro but it isn't installed in Mint.

Thanks for the useful info.

BTW: I do have now an older FG :(
The version in Mint repos is 3.0.0-1, I tried to install 3.5 via PPA but that failed because of reasons I don't understand. I'm afraid I will have to wait for upgrades from Mint ...
vito49

Postby vito49 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:50 pm

rominet wrote in Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:39 pm:You discovered (without realizing) that a joystick can be treated as a mouse by X.org... No need to switch distribs for that. In Debian, you would have just needed to uninstall the xserver-xorg-input-joystick package; there is certainly a similar way in Manjaro.

I couldn't help it but I switched back to Manjaro XFCE ..... and I deleted package "xf86-input-joystick" that was installed.
No longer the problem with the joystick interfering with the mouse. I hope it stays that way.

Many thanks for leading me to this solution.

Vito
vito49

Postby rominet » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:24 pm

Thanks for your confirmation and for giving the package name in Manjaro. Glad I could be of some help. :wink:
rominet

Postby hamzaalloush » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:55 pm

you can also fix this from the xorg conf files, no need to remove the whole package:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-joystick.conf
Code: Select all
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "joystick catchall"
        MatchIsJoystick "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "joystick"
        Option "StartKeysEnabled" "False"       #Disable mouse
        Option "StartMouseEnabled" "False"      #support
EndSection

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamepad#Disable_Joystick_From_Controlling_Mouse
hamzaalloush

Return to Hardware