Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Joystick Rudder Problems

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Joystick Rudder Problems

Postby Oowop666 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:42 pm

I've just downloaded FlightGear today and everything is working well, except I can't get the rudder responding to joystick commands.

I am using an unbranded joystick which appears as "Joy Stick": Surprisingly it works well (calibrates fine, can identify and map all buttons from within FlightGear) and any other control I map to it works perfectly. The rudder also works perfectly from the keyboard commands. Weirdly however, I cannot get the rudder working with the joystick on any axis or buttons. I've worked through the easy troubleshooting stuff on the Wiki and as far as I can tell there are no other issues with either the game or joystick.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with a AMD Radeon HD 4200 graphic card and the latest FlightGear release, if any of that helps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Oowop666

Re: Joystick Rudder Problems

Postby sim » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Use js_demo to check how many axes and buttons are working on your joystick.
(Start/All Programs/Flightgear/Tools/js_demo) No need to run Flightgear to use js_demo.
What name does js_demo give your joystick?
If your joystick twist axis movement gives readouts -1...0... +1
then it will work rudder providing FG has loaded a suitable joystick xml file for your stick.
It's possible since your joystick details are vague, your stick is one of those with no twist axis. Hence no rudder control !
8)
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Re: Joystick Rudder Problems

Postby ReZiiNsky » Thu May 07, 2015 3:58 pm

My Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 suffers this issue. In jp_demo all axis are found and I do have a twist axis but when In game I am completely unable to edit the config. I ran windows joystick calibration and the in game input menu reads all movements but when I try to edit the controls in game nothing happens except the invert boxes flash to the right of the config buttons. I have tried several different forums's suggestions, different xml's and attempted to edit them my self the only progress I made was in downloading someones custom xml, the rudder control(twist) began acting like buttons full on or full off with the slightest twist of the axis but that was as far as I could get it. I am now on default xml's

When I first downloaded this program I had and earlier version of the Mad Catz Fly5, and downloaded an xml to fix the camera turning bug, everything worked flawlessly. I since have bought a new one and installed Windows 8 and now their is little functionality of my joystick. Ailerons, Yoke, Throttle. Totally bummed because FG is my favorite and preferred Sim.

On a side note my Flightgear is installed on a different hard drive, I run everything as admin all the time and have no spaces in the directory to flightgear as that is known to cause some issues, I currently have no other controllers plugged in.
ReZiiNsky

Return to Hardware