Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Just a comment

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Re: Just a comment

Postby macnab » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:05 pm

Did the menubar.xml chamge. Now, at FG start up, it says
undefined symbol elements , joystick,nas, line 746

Add menubar.xml to your push.

EDIT: Another missing file, the widgets?
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Postby Philosopher » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Darn it, will fix that! Sorry.
Philosopher

Postby macnab » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 pm

So easy to forget. It is a serious problem when downloading custom scenery, half the models are missing.
macnab

Postby Hooray » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:46 pm

use "git status" and "git diff origin/master" (or origin/next in the case of FG/SG)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby macnab » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:07 am

Tested joystick configure.

My pedals are js[0] and my yoke is js[1]. Works correctly with the pedals when dialog opened.

The Selected joystick dropdown is not 100% opaque. (Some setting on my PC?).

Selecting the yoke from the dropdown passes the correct joystick name to the popuptip, but doesn't change anything.

EDIT: On my pedals, the rudder is axis 2. The mac and unix numbers are 2, but the windows number is 3. With both the old and the new configure GUIs, Axis 3 (actually 2) is shown as Rudder, but it is Axis 4 (actually 3) which works. This can lead to all sorts of confusion if it is not fixed. It means that you need to look at /input/joysticks/js[x]/axis[y]/number and read either mac, unix or windows, depending on the current OS.

The same with every single button as well. An absolute pain.

Don't know why no-one has ever mentioned it before.
macnab

Postby stuart » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I've had a look at the latest code. I really like how joylib.nas is structured now - much clearer to my eyes. Thanks.

I'm also really impressed with what you've done with Canvas for the GUI.

I spotted some issues with the dialog itself (for example I couldn't select another input device and there were some debug pop-ups), so I assume that is still under development?

What do you think the next step is here? Do you want to wait until the new GUI is complete, or look at including some joylib.nas functions in the existing XML-based Joystick Configuration dialog as a half-way house?

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Philosopher » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Uh yeah, sorry about that. I got distracted (almost forgot about it!). Someday of me was hoping that I could use widgets from Thomas, but that's not going to work (especially for macnab). I only have one joystick to test with, but I thought it would work with multiple. In any case, I mostly got the other things working, but the next task is the settings (need a Boolean toggle and - harder - a slider, which never appeared for some reason :(, though it was functional if you correctly guessed where it was).

My thoughts at this point would be to get me to work at this and wait to integrate Macnab's library into the new GUI. I wouldn't want to find myself writing the same code multiple times and the files have already diverged enough to make me think twice about we're code would go. Plus, I've basically automatized the GUI so adding in all of Macnab's extra functions would be simpler. (I added markup in between the button/axis entries and to some extent can just run through that and generate a selection dialog, though it currently only has 3 columns.)
Philosopher

Postby macnab » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:21 am

There were one or two things that just couldn't be done (extra/new stuff), so I have removed that code.

I have just pushed the trimmed down version.
macnab

Postby TheTom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Philosopher wrote in Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:03 pm:Someday of me was hoping that I could use widgets from Thomas, but that's not going to work (especially for macnab).

Whats the problem with my widget(s)? ;-) (I know, currently its only a button^^)
TheTom

Postby Hooray » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:29 pm

I think some folks here may not be able to use the latest stuff from git - IIRC, Philosopher had to use 2.8 for quite a while, he only started using git a couple of weeks ago, I assume that macnab may be similarly restricted. So I guess that's why...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Philosopher » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:14 am

TheTom wrote in Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:07 pm:Whats the problem with my widget(s)? ;-) (I know, currently its only a button^^)

Well, what you stated, and since I can't figure out how to make my own (the Nasal code... I got lost - very lost, 'specially the inheritance and classes). No drop-down :(.

Hey, when you do inheritance of classes, basically when possible, can you write «classeA = { parents:[classeB] }» versus doing:
Code: Select all
classeA = {
    new: func objA = { parents:[classeA,classeB] }
}

because that hides the inheritance in the constructor, besides making it just... weird ;). If that doesn't work, then you can also do something like this (which is what Hooray did for a Lockable class and derived "Counter" class):
var classeA = classeB.new();
classeA.do_something = ...
Philosopher

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:58 am

sorry, you lost me: what's the issue again ? Multiple inheritance or what ? I know you mentioned me for using a certain solution, but I am not sure I understand the problem? :D
Again, I don't see anything wrong with the construct you posted, and I think I used it myself in dozens of tutorials, too.

If there's a deeper issue here that I am not -consciously- aware of, which I somehow happen to work around intuitively, we should probably fix our tutorials ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Philosopher » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:46 am

sorry, that was badly written...

In a class in Thomas' code, I really didn't get a good look, but I believe it was implementing a base class, using hash syntax versus member syntax (basically the former versus latter code snippets I posted above). The constructor was returning an object with its parents being the (implementation) and (base) classes, respectively. Again, it was only a quick look and I'm not sure if I'm getting this right. But I think the class itself could do the inheritance instead of the object, to make it clearer; basically they should use the parents vector when possible. If it is not possible, i.e. if things need to be initialized for the base class in a constructor, then using the member syntax and starting with an instance of the base class instead of an empty hash would again make things clearer. So:
var BaseClass = {};
BaseClass.new = func(name)
    return { parents:[BaseClass], name:name };
BaseClass.log = func
    print(me.name,": ",string.join(arg,"")," from ",caller(2)[2],", line ",caller(2)[3]);

var Implementation = BaseClass.new("Lock");
Implementation.new = func
    return { parents:[Implementation], lock: thread.newlock() };
Implementation.lock = func {
    me.log("Trying lock");
    thread.lock(me.lock);
    me.log("Holds lock");
};

Or (slightly different usage of name, but basically same thing in the other syntax option):
var BaseClass = {
    new: func(name)
        return { parents:[BaseClass], name:name },
    log: func
        print(me.name,": ",string.join(arg,"")," from ",caller(2)[2],", line ",caller(2)[3]),
};

var Implementation = {
    new = func(name)
        return { parents:[Implementation], lock: thread.newlock(), name: name },
    lock: func {
        me.log("Trying lock");
        thread.lock(me.lock);
        me.log("Holds lock");
    },
};

Anyways - Nasal doesn't really have classes ;)
Philosopher

Postby Philosopher » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Okay, working on the dialog... macnab, I'm getting these errors at reinit:
Nasal runtime error: undefined symbol: lisReinitJoyLib
  at /Users/philosopher/Documents/FlightGear/fgdata/Nasal/joylib.nas, line 1043
  called from: /Users/philosopher/Documents/FlightGear/fgdata/Nasal/joylib.nas, line 142
  called from: /Users/philosopher/Documents/FlightGear/fgdata/Nasal/globals.nas, line 109
Nasal runtime error: removelistener() with invalid listener id
  at /Users/philosopher/Documents/FlightGear/fgdata/Nasal/io.nas, line 343
  called from: /Users/philosopher/Documents/FlightGear/fgdata/Nasal/joylib.nas, line 1042
  called from: /Users/philosopher/Documents/FlightGear/fgdata/Nasal/joylib.nas, line 142
  called from: /Users/philosopher/Documents/FlightGear/fgdata/Nasal/globals.nas, line 109
Philosopher

Postby macnab » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:15 pm

lisReinitJoyLib is created as part of initJoyLib

initJoyLib and reinitJoyLib are currently still up for discussion. :) Maybe don't call either at the moment until I have had better input. :roll:
macnab

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware