Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Maximizing Trackball Buttons

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Re: Maximizing Trackball Buttons

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 26, 2023 4:18 pm

innactpro wrote in Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm:what info would be most useful from the log?

i forgot to answer this part... i would be looking for some error or warning lines... the problematic stuff should be at the end of the log or near the end... we generally paste the log to somewhere like pastebin and provide a link to it for others to access...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby innactpro » Fri May 26, 2023 6:43 pm

Comparing the log from a failed launch to the log of a successful launch only shows differences near the end of the failed attempt log.

Failed including the last common line as the successful launch log:
Code: Select all
   22.88 [INFO]:autopilot /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Autopilot/route_mgr.cxx:854: route manager, current-wp is now -1
   25.03 [INFO]:io        /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Main/globals.cxx:893: Saving user settings to Path "/home/jason/.fgfs/autosave_2020_3.xml"
   25.46 [INFO]:terrain   /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Scenery/terrain_stg.cxx:264: FGStgTerrain::shutdown - shutdown tilemgr
   25.46 [INFO]:terrain   /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Scenery/terrain_stg.cxx:233: FGStgTerrain::dtor
   25.48 [INFO]:input     /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Input/FGHIDEventInput.cxx:944: HID event input shutting down
   25.48 [INFO]:terrasync /build/workspace/Linux-release/simgear/simgear/scene/tsync/terrasync.cxx:1099: Shutdown
   25.63 [INFO]:terrain   /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Scenery/SceneryPager.cxx:42: Destroying scenery pager

Successful including the last common line as the failed launch log:
   20.69 [INFO]:autopilot /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Autopilot/route_mgr.cxx:854: route manager, current-wp is now -1
   20.70 [INFO]:input     /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Input/FGHIDEventInput.cxx:929: HID event input starting up
   20.70 [INFO]:ai        /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/AIModel/AIManager.cxx:287: loading scenario 'nimitz_demo'
   20.71 [INFO]:general   /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Main/fg_init.cxx:1218: Subsystems postinit took:43
   20.71 [INFO]:general   /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Main/fg_init.cxx:1227:

20.71 [INFO]:view      /build/workspace/Linux-release/flightgear/src/Viewer/splash.cxx:760: Splash screen progress finalize-position
   20.71 [INFO]:io        /build/workspace/Linux-release/simgear/simgear/scene/model/ModelRegistry.cxx:384: Ignoring /media/jason/Data/FlightGear/fgdata/Textures/Sky/moon.png for inclusion into the texture cache because pixel density too low at 16 bits per pixek

Those are just an equal number of lines from the final common line of both logs to the end of the failed attempt log.
innactpro

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby innactpro » Sat May 27, 2023 1:15 pm

The full log of the failed FG launch:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yl1zg6R2L4a-QTMiZiUxsvoup9UT2wT2/view?usp=sharing

If you can access the file.
innactpro

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 27, 2023 3:38 pm

wow! the problem apparently happens between 22.88 and 25.03 because that's when FG starts a controlled shutdown... very interesting...

could you perhaps try with the UFO? it is probably the most simple of craft and is used as a baseline for many testing situations...

also since "debug" doesn't really give us anything between those two timestamps, could you switch the log level to "bulk" so we can maybe see something more happening that may point us in the proper direction?

i'm literally grasping at straws, here... if this was something i was experiencing, myself, i would be adding logging to the source code and building a new binary but i know this is not possible for everyone to do...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby innactpro » Sat May 27, 2023 6:50 pm

innactpro

Postby innactpro » Sat May 27, 2023 7:37 pm

An experiment launching FG with a MouseExtra.xml, containing no lines of code, in the Input/Event produced no 'Fatal exception'.

So something in the example code provided in the Wiki is the problem on my computer. Adding code partially at a time may pinpoint something.
innactpro

Postby innactpro » Sat May 27, 2023 7:51 pm

<name>Name</name>

That was the culprit the whole time. Removing that line fixed the problem of loading.

Though the Wiki mentions disabling the extra mouse, however, doing that also disables the extra mouse in FG.
innactpro

Postby innactpro » Sat May 27, 2023 8:29 pm

The Wiki uses xinput to determine the device name. On my computer xinput device names vary slightly from device names provided by lsusb. Using the device name from lsusb allowed FG to start, though the MouseExtra.xml seems to not be applied to the extra mouse. FG still sees the extra mouse the same as the trackball.

Disabling the extra mouse still disables the extra mouse in FG as well in my situation.
Last edited by innactpro on Sat May 27, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
innactpro

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 27, 2023 8:29 pm

i'm not sure i understand what you are saying...

that name property, in this case, tells FG which device to read the inputs from... in the "raw" unmodified code from the wiki, that would be the device that identifies itself as "Logitech Logitech USB Optical Mouse" in the "xinput --list" output...

as far as disabling a mouse, that looks to me like what you would do if you have two mice connected but want to use only one specific one of them to control things in X... as i understand it, the disabled mouse would not affect the regular desktop or move the mouse pointer but it would still be operational in programs that specifically know about it and look for input from it...

can you post the xml file you are trying to work with as it was before you remove that line? wrap it in code tags like this to maintain formatting...
[code]paste the code here[/code]

i'm actually playing with this right now... i need to find another working mouse to add to my gaming system so i can see if things still work as they once did... i've never tried this particular activity so i'm approaching it blindly with open eyes... idk how far i'll get or if i'll even complete it... right now i'm waiting for my fgdata to finish updating since the last time i updated the code for my "next" branch build of FG... for some reason, it is being real slow today compared to when i last updated it back in mid-April... normally my updates and compiles are over and done with in a minute or two but this one has taken over 10 minutes so far... idk what's going on :?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby innactpro » Sat May 27, 2023 8:38 pm

<PropertyList>
  <name>MOSART Semi. 2.4G Keyboard Mouse</name>
  <debug-events type="bool">false</debug-events>
  <grab type="bool">true</grab>
  <event>
    <desc>Y-Axis</desc>
    <name>rel-y-translate</name>
    <binding>
     <command>property-adjust</command>
     <property>/controls/flight/elevator</property>
     <factor type="double">-.002</factor>
     <min type="double">-1.0</min>
     <max type="double">1.0</max>
     <wrap type="bool">false</wrap>
    </binding>
  </event>
  <event>
    <desc>X-Axis</desc>
    <name>rel-x-translate</name>
    <binding>
     <command>property-adjust</command>
     <property>/controls/flight/aileron</property>
     <factor type="double">.002</factor>
     <min type="double">-1.0</min>
     <max type="double">1.0</max>
     <wrap type="bool">false</wrap>
    </binding>
  </event>
</PropertyList>

That code is using the device name from xinput. The device name from lsusb 'MosArt Semiconductor Corp. 2.4G Keyboard Mouse' allows FG to launch, though continue to see the extra mouse the same as the trackball. Disabling the extra mouse disables it in FG as well. All of which makes sense if FG is not looking for the name displayed in lsusb.
innactpro

Postby innactpro » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:09 pm

What does
type="double"
mean, or is there documentation explaining xml terms for FG?
innactpro

Postby MariuszXC » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:06 pm

It assigns (defines) a type of data held by this particular node.
'double' (and 'float') are types used for numbers with a decimal part.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby innactpro » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:47 pm

Thank you MariuzXC.

What about:
<pass-through type="bool">true</pass-through>

What does pass-through mean? True or False seems to make no noticeable difference.
innactpro

Postby MariuszXC » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:41 pm

The 'pass-through' is a name of the node created in the property tree.
Think of nodes as named containers for values of some type.
In the above case node type attribute is 'bool', which is a short for Boolean, in other words logic values 'true' or 'false' (also sometimes represented as values of 1 and 0 respectively).

So, the above definition defines a container for logical (Boolean) values named 'pass-through'. This container will be a node somewhere in the property tree. The initial logic value in this container will be 'true'.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby polly » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:41 pm

Some mouse actions, for example picking on a cockpit switch, are effected outside mice.xml and only happen if the mouse is in 'pointing' mode ( cursor arrow ). With the mouse controlling aileron / elevator pointing and clicking is not available: pass-through determines, for each mode, if the mouse action is limited within mice.xml or if the action is 'passed through' available to, say, instrumentation files where 'pick' hotspots are defined. At least that's my understanding.
polly

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware