Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Saitek x56 setup problem

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Saitek x56 setup problem

Postby Butterkjid » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:02 pm

So I've been playing DCS alot with this joystick and it works flawlessly. However in Flightgear, the game seems to have some problems with the fact that the throttle and stick are registered as two separate devices. I've noticed that the game registers both the left throttle as ailerons, as well as the actual aileron control. On top of that, the right throttle is registered as elevators.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Butterkjid

Re: Saitek x56 setup problem

Postby Gurnard » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:16 am

Ever manage to figure this out? I'm setting FG up for the first time and ran into exactly the same issue.
Gurnard

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:55 pm

by default, what xml does FG say it is using for this joystick??

i do not see any specific XML file for this Saitek x56 listed in fgdata/Input/Joysticks/Saitek at all... one of the existing ones may make a good base to start from to create a new one for the x56... there is generally a comment header in them with the details as to which buttons and axis are used for which functions... editing the file with the in-sim configurator will remove those comments so be sure to keep a copy somewhere safe so they can be put back in once you have a working configuration and have updated the comments to match the working setup... once someone has a good working one for the x56, it can be added to FG for others to use so they don't have to flounder trying to figure out how to set one up... it should be plug and use at that point...
Code: Select all
fgdata/Input/Joysticks/Saitek$ ls -1
Aviator.xml
Cyborg-3d-Rumble-Force.xml
Cyborg-Evo.xml
Cyborg-Gold-3d-USB.xml
Cyborg-X.xml
P880b.xml
Pro-Flight-Cessna-Trim-Wheel.xml
Pro-Flight-Cessna-Yoke.xml
Pro-Flight-Combat-Rudder-Pedals.xml
Pro-Flight-Quadrant.xml
Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals.xml
Pro-Flight-Yoke.xml
ST290-Pro.xml
X36.xml
X45.xml
X52-pro.xml
X52.xml
X8-30.xml

[aside]
when i started to work on making a file for my xbox one wireless controller, FG was using the fgdata/Input/Joysticks/Default/joypad.xml IIRC... it took a little work but now i have a semi-ok custom Microsoft-X-Box-One-S-pad.xml file for it... i can control the craft with my right thumbstick and look around at the same time with my left one... it was a task to decide what to use for which functions but in the end it is semi-ok...
[/aside]
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Gurnard » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:50 am

Where do I see what XML it's defaulting to?
Gurnard

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 pm

in-sim F10->File->Joystick

it should say in the selector box at the top middle of the configuration area... it may not look like a file name, though... it may just say what it is using for the joystick... with that we can find out while file is being used...

but i think i would look over the ones i listed and find one that is close to start with... then copy it to somewhere safe just to be sure... then place a copy of it in $FG_HOME/Input/Joystick with the needed edit to link it to the joystick... that would be the "name" property tag and it should be the name of the device as seen by the js_demo tool in the FG binary directory... then you can manually modify the code in the file to fit the X56... be sure to keep a safe copy of your edited file away from FG just in case it updates it when you least expect it... when you have it all working as desired, then it should be fine to present for inclusion in the project...

i've written this from memory and cannot access my other system at this time to verify all the steps... you might should also check on the wiki and see if it has any pages about setting up a new joystick with FG... i'm pretty sure you'll use the js_demo tool numerous times to be sure what the switches and axis are numbered as, too...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Hardware