Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Win7 laptop two button touchpad/mouse bindings files?

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Re: Win7 laptop two button touchpad/mouse bindings files?

Postby rominet » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Dear captainjack,

The reasons I haven't replied to you for a few days have nothing to do with what you pretend, this is simply because:
  1. I have better things to do.
  2. I don't give a rat's *** about your judgment. You've been here for less than two months, you know nothing about me, yet you gratuitously, publicly and repeatedly accuse me of being prideful and arrogant while I was only here to help you. However, I'm afraid you have no legitimacy whatsoever in doing so, and apparently don't even realize how ridiculous this makes you look.
  3. Your psychological judgments have nothing to do here, this is a forum about the FlightGear flight simulator and you posted your crap in the Hardware support section.
First, for your information (and again, since I already told this to you at least twice in this thread, and Johan G said it to you once more, and you still appear not to have understood it at all): FG is free software; asking for help, receiving support from at least three persons, and finally claiming that the help you've been given was not satisfactory but that you have found an excellent solution yet not sharing it in any way with others, is just plain selfish behavior. Therefore, taking grief against me for kindly asking you to post a working example(*), making a huge sarcastic story out of nothing and publicly slandering me for giving you perfectly reasonable advice to correct your selfish behavior is entirely inappropriate.

(*) Which by the way you didn't, since there is no way to know which file your “example” is supposed to apply to.

Second, the reasons I said your message could have been about four times shorter are simply that:
  • People on this forum are quite used to read fragments of XML files and insert them into their own files; they don't have to be taught how to copy and paste every single line.
  • Making your message uselessly long reduces the chances of people reading it in full and thus benefiting from your supposed experience.
  • Very often, it is much easier to learn from a short example than from a long and abstract description. We're humans, not computers, and often able to generalize an example more easily than understanding and applying an abstract description.
  • You complained yourself that you were being charged every minute for Internet access:
    captainjack wrote:me, I pay for internet access by the minute

[...]

All this time, I am paying money per minute for my internet access.
So again, I've only been trying to help you save time and money, while getting your message accross in a more efficient way. And what do I get in return? Repeated, baseless slandering.

I have been very patient and polite to you, but your provocations are by far exceeding what can be tolerated without any reaction. You are the kind of user that benefits from the work of others, demands immediate help and work, doesn't follow advice (even when the same advice is kindly given to you by 3 different people), bites the very hands that fed him (both myself and wkitty42 to whom you kindly told to stop commenting in your thread (after harsher comments that have meanwhile disappeared in return for his patience repeating you the wisest advice that could possibly be given to you concerning your question).

In case all this wasn't clear to everyone reading this yet, I'll post here some interesting excerpts of just a few of your recent messages, that show what kind of contributor you are in the FG community:
captainjack wrote:I have reason to communicate with user Gijs directly.

[...]

Please respond quickly, as user Gijs has shown a tendency to move my posts [...] and me, I pay for internet access by the minute, so, it is very expensive for me to chase after my own posts according to the decisions of moderator Gijs.

[...]

I am the end user.

[...]

Somebody should fix this, and fix it very fast.
No end user should ever have to face this kind of a situation when entering into the forums.
The FlightGear forum is not a whorehouse.
FlightGear is better than that.
As an end user, I expect this problem to be addressed immediately, and fixed immediately (meaning before tomorrow).

If user Gijs as moderator is moving my posts [...] but I should be able to contact him or her immediately in response

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 pm:If the developers are not reading this forum daily, then the Flightgear project is doomed to failure

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:54 pm:Again:
If the developers are not reading this forum daily, then the Flightgear project is (eventually) doomed to failure.
The success of any open source project is directly related to the experiences of its end users.
The "developers mailing list" is a step away from that.
If the developers are not in contact daily with the end users, then the Flightgear project will (eventually) fail.
That is the truth, and "you can take it to the bank" .

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:11 pm:The "mailing list" should not be available to end users.
The "mailing list" should not be presented or even mentioned in the general fora.
I can understand the how and why of developers needing their space.
But my point remains true: if the developers get too far out of touch with the needs of the end users, then the FlightGear project will ultimately fail.
It's simple economics.
It's a law, it governs "how things work in this world".
"20 years this", "20 years that" , it all means nothing dear wkitty42, it only means "blah blah blah"
The only thing that matters is the state of the project in the here and now of 2016.
The laws of simple economics govern, because they are laws.

captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am:No, wkitty32, I won't post the details of my system.
They don't matter.
Any developer reading my post will get the point, and will at first reply to me in general terms.
In the kindest terms possible, I ask you to stop commenting here in this thread.
My purpose in this thread is to seek communication with the developers or a developer.
Please do not comment again here.
Thank you.

Then there was the delicious post where you kindly told wkitty42 that he was posting too much without giving any valuable advice, that he ought to think more before clicking on Submit, etc., whereas he had only been patiently giving you the best advice you could possibly get for the problem in question, and has clearly helped far more users than you from what I could see—to be honest, I didn't ever see you help anyone. Too bad that message appears to have been edited or removed. But rest assured that those who had the chance to read it remember well. :wink:
Shall I go on?

I believe I have wasted enough time with you, feel free to spill your venom and create heat through your own pathetic gesticulations.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby captainjack » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 pm

rominet wrote in Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:34 pm:Dear captainjack,

The reasons I haven't replied to you for a few days have nothing to do with what you pretend, this is simply because:
  1. I have better things to do.
  2. I don't give a rat's *** about your judgment. You've been here for less than two months, you know nothing about me, yet you gratuitously, publicly and repeatedly accuse me of being prideful and arrogant while I was only here to help you. However, I'm afraid you have no legitimacy whatsoever in doing so, and apparently don't even realize how ridiculous this makes you look.
  3. Your psychological judgments have nothing to do here, this is a forum about the FlightGear flight simulator and you posted your crap in the Hardware support section.
First, for your information (and again, since I already told this to you at least twice in this thread, and Johan G said it to you once more, and you still appear not to have understood it at all): FG is free software; asking for help, receiving support from at least three persons, and finally claiming that the help you've been given was not satisfactory but that you have found an excellent solution yet not sharing it in any way with others, is just plain selfish behavior. Therefore, taking grief against me for kindly asking you to post a working example(*), making a huge sarcastic story out of nothing and publicly slandering me for giving you perfectly reasonable advice to correct your selfish behavior is entirely inappropriate.

(*) Which by the way you didn't, since there is no way to know which file your “example” is supposed to apply to.

Second, the reasons I said your message could have been about four times shorter are simply that:
  • People on this forum are quite used to read fragments of XML files and insert them into their own files; they don't have to be taught how to copy and paste every single line.
  • Making your message uselessly long reduces the chances of people reading it in full and thus benefiting from your supposed experience.
  • Very often, it is much easier to learn from a short example than from a long and abstract description. We're humans, not computers, and often able to generalize an example more easily than understanding and applying an abstract description.
  • You complained yourself that you were being charged every minute for Internet access:
    captainjack wrote:me, I pay for internet access by the minute

[...]

So again, I've only been trying to help you save time and money, while getting your message accross in a more efficient way. And what do I get in return? Repeated, baseless slandering.

I have been very patient and polite to you, but your provocations are by far exceeding what can be tolerated without any reaction. You are the kind of user that benefits from the work of others, demands immediate help and work, doesn't follow advice (even when the same advice is kindly given to you by 3 different people), bites the very hands that fed him (both myself and wkitty42 to whom you kindly told to stop commenting in your thread (after harsher comments that have meanwhile disappeared in return for his patience repeating you the wisest advice that could possibly be given to you concerning your question).

In case all this wasn't clear to everyone reading this yet, I'll post here some interesting excerpts of just a few of your recent messages, that show what kind of contributor you are in the FG community:

[...]

Please respond quickly, as user Gijs has shown a tendency to move my posts [...] and me, I pay for internet access by the minute, so, it is very expensive for me to chase after my own posts according to the decisions of moderator Gijs.

[...]

I am the end user.

[...]

No end user should ever have to face this kind of a situation when entering into the forums.
As an end user, I expect this problem to be addressed immediately, and fixed immediately (meaning before tomorrow).

If user Gijs as moderator is moving my posts [...] but I should be able to contact him or her immediately in response

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 pm:If the developers are not reading this forum daily, then the Flightgear project is doomed to failure

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:54 pm:Again:
If the developers are not reading this forum daily, then the Flightgear project is (eventually) doomed to failure.
The success of any open source project is directly related to the experiences of its end users.
The "developers mailing list" is a step away from that.
If the developers are not in contact daily with the end users, then the Flightgear project will (eventually) fail.
That is the truth, and "you can take it to the bank" .

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:11 pm:The "mailing list" should not be available to end users.
The "mailing list" should not be presented or even mentioned in the general fora.
I can understand the how and why of developers needing their space.
But my point remains true: if the developers get too far out of touch with the needs of the end users, then the FlightGear project will ultimately fail.
It's simple economics.
It's a law, it governs "how things work in this world".
"20 years this", "20 years that" , it all means nothing dear wkitty42, it only means "blah blah blah"
The only thing that matters is the state of the project in the here and now of 2016.
The laws of simple economics govern, because they are laws.

captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am:No, wkitty32, I won't post the details of my system.
They don't matter.
Any developer reading my post will get the point, and will at first reply to me in general terms.
In the kindest terms possible, I ask you to stop commenting here in this thread.
My purpose in this thread is to seek communication with the developers or a developer.
Please do not comment again here.
Thank you.

Then there was the delicious post where you kindly told wkitty42 that he was posting too much without giving any valuable advice, that he ought to think more before clicking on Submit, etc., whereas he had only been patiently giving you the best advice you could possibly get for the problem in question, and has clearly helped far more users than you from what I could see—to be honest, I didn't ever see you help anyone. Too bad that message appears to have been edited or removed. But rest assured that those who had the chance to read it remember well. :wink:
Shall I go on?

I believe I have wasted enough time with you, feel free to spill your venom and create heat through your own pathetic gesticulations.

Dear Rominet,

You obviously spent much time preparing your response in order to help me, and I thank you for that.
But in doing so, didn't you prove my point?
This question is presented in the spirit of respect, and I hope you receive it that way.
This question is also rhetorical in nature.

I have a proposition for you:

From my perspective, my proposition to you seems both fair and reasonable:

My proposition to you: We can start over, and if you agree with me to start over, I will take full responsibility for our mishap.

If you accept my proposition, I request of you that you post back to let me (and anyone else reading this post) understand that you accept my proposition.

I know that you are a daily contributor here in the forum, so I think that it is reasonable for me to request that if you accept my proposition, you would post your acceptance here in this thread within 7 (seven) calendar days of the date of this post.

If there is no post from you within that time frame stating your acceptance of my proposition, I would infer (like you yourself or any other reasonable person would infer) that you have rejected my proposition.

Respectfully,

cj

p.s. Your post accused me of having removed (deleted) one of my posts. My response: While I edit most of my posts 'after the fact' for clarity and/or grammar, I have never removed any of my posts nor have I ever removed any original point from any of my posts. I may be proud of one of my posts or ashamed of another, but each of my posts remains there in its original form for all to see. I am not afraid to make mistakes in this community, and in any case where the community in general or any individual member of the community tells me that I made a mistake, it is my highest priority to first 'make good' by correcting my own error, and to then present evidence of correction to whomever called me to correct myself in the first place. Therefore: I am not a bad community member as your post suggested; Instead, I am an exemplary community member. Put another way, every community member in our forum should conduct himself or herself like I conduct myself. If each community member in our forum conducted himself or herself like I conduct myself, this community forum would be a much better place for all of us.
captainjack

Postby rominet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Okay, let's start over and try to forget this. Two points I'd like to make:
  • Your request to reply within seven calendar days or else... is inappropriate in my opinion. I'm not paid to work on FG, neither am I paid to do support, thus I don't welcome ultimatums in this context. In fact, I was tempted to make you wait 6.99 (calendar) days, just for this reason. I didn't do it eventually, because “bringing peace back” is a superior goal for me. But please keep in mind that there are tons of very valid reasons that could have prevented me from responding within your delay, without implying in any way that my intention was to reject your proposal: I could be on holiday, hiking in the mountains, in hospital, etc. Deducing refusal from the sole absence of an answer is not appropriate in my opinion (yes, that is what administrations very often do, and incidentally the decisions coming from them are often quite unfair, iniquitous, and/or absurd).
  • The second point concerns your post scriptum. I remain to be convinced that all of its contents is true, however I am willing to admit the possibility that you didn't edit the post I was talking about to remove significant contents from it (I had not ruled out either the possibility that a moderator had removed the post, not necessarily you). It is possible that it was simply in a different discussion than the ones I reread before typing my previous reply.
rominet

Postby curt » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:43 pm

captainjack: in open forums such as these, the lack of an answer to a question often means that no one knows the answer, or possibly that the question was not formulated well enough to be understood or answered. It almost never implies any kind of ill will. Everyone is here because they want to be a part of this community. All the FlightGear developers are volunteers working in their spare time, evenings, weekends, holidays, etc. As a result, developers tend to focus more on the things they are interested in working on (that's when developing is fun.) For everyone here, FlightGear is a hobby. Developers (code, content, documentation, support) offer their work to the world if the world wants it, but there is never any strict obligation in either direction. No one forces you to download flightgear for free, fly flightgear for free, and join this forum and ask questions for free ... but we are glad when each new person decides to give FlightGear a try (for free!) No one forces the developers to work on specific features for no pay, or work towards a specific deadline for no pay, or respond here in the forum within a specific time frame for no pay. We are all just contributing as much as we can with our limited time and energy ... hopefully to build a quality flight sim that is open-source, create a nice community of people with similar interests, have some fun and hopefully learn a few things too.

Best regards,

Curt.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby captainjack » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:16 pm

rominet wrote in Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 pm:Okay, let's start over and try to forget this. Two points I'd like to make:
  • Your request to reply within seven calendar days or else... is inappropriate in my opinion. I'm not paid to work on FG, neither am I paid to do support, thus I don't welcome ultimatums in this context. In fact, I was tempted to make you wait 6.99 (calendar) days, just for this reason. I didn't do it eventually, because “bringing peace back” is a superior goal for me. But please keep in mind that there are tons of very valid reasons that could have prevented me from responding within your delay, without implying in any way that my intention was to reject your proposal: I could be on holiday, hiking in the mountains, in hospital, etc. Deducing refusal from the sole absence of an answer is not appropriate in my opinion (yes, that is what administrations very often do, and incidentally the decisions coming from them are often quite unfair, iniquitous, and/or absurd).
  • The second point concerns your post scriptum. I remain to be convinced that all of its contents is true, however I am willing to admit the possibility that you didn't edit the post I was talking about to remove significant contents from it (I had not ruled out either the possibility that a moderator had removed the post, not necessarily you). It is possible that it was simply in a different discussion than the ones I reread before typing my previous reply.

Dear Rominet:

Concerning first your second point : thank you.

Concerning second your first point: I never said "or else". I think you inferred "or else", and then attributed your inference to me as having said " or else ", but I didn't ever say "or else".

Would you please go back and re-read my post. If you post again that you realize that I never said "or else" to you, then we can continue on.

"Or else" is the language of those who make threats and/or ulitmata (and ultimata, after all, are threats).

I am not one of those.

I never said "or else" to you, nor can I even imagine any situation where I would ever say "or else" to you.

I may be brash and tactless (my own character weaknesses, perhaps), but I am never disrespectful, nor did I ever or would I ever, under any circumstance, issue unwarranted threats, whether explicit or implicit, to you or to any other member of our community.

Your expression in this forum that I said "or else" to you was after all nothing more than your public expression of your own personal error of wrongful inferrence.

Respectfully,

cj
Last edited by captainjack on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 32 times in total.
captainjack

Postby captainjack » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 pm

curt wrote in Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:43 pm:captainjack: in open forums such as these, the lack of an answer to a question often means that no one knows the answer, or possibly that the question was not formulated well enough to be understood or answered. It almost never implies any kind of ill will. Everyone is here because they want to be a part of this community. All the FlightGear developers are volunteers working in their spare time, evenings, weekends, holidays, etc. As a result, developers tend to focus more on the things they are interested in working on (that's when developing is fun.) For everyone here, FlightGear is a hobby. Developers (code, content, documentation, support) offer their work to the world if the world wants it, but there is never any strict obligation in either direction. No one forces you to download flightgear for free, fly flightgear for free, and join this forum and ask questions for free ... but we are glad when each new person decides to give FlightGear a try (for free!) No one forces the developers to work on specific features for no pay, or work towards a specific deadline for no pay, or respond here in the forum within a specific time frame for no pay. We are all just contributing as much as we can with our limited time and energy ... hopefully to build a quality flight sim that is open-source, create a nice community of people with similar interests, have some fun and hopefully learn a few things too.

Best regards,

Curt.

Dear Curt,

Thank you for taking your time to reply in this thread.

I am a volunteer, too.

Also, I never made any post suggesting that anyone else should do anyting at all.

Instead, my posts are only requests or suggestions.

If you find any of my posts where I obligated anyone else to do anything at all, I hope that you will make a copy of such a post, and then that you would post the copy of such a post here in this thread.

I do not believe you will be able to find any such post.

But, if you do find such a post and then post it here in this thread:

You can be assured that I will make my amends publicly in the forum.

It is not my right to obligate anyone to do anything. I do, however, suggest or request, as each of us is free to do, and as each of us should do toward the greater benefit of the entire FG project.

Thank you again, Curt,

Best Regards,

cj
captainjack

Postby rominet » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:26 am

captainjack,

Please stop distorting the facts:
  1. First, you said:
    captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:16 pm:Concerning second your first point: I never said "or else". I think you inferred "or else", and then attributed your inference to me as having said " or else ", but I didn't ever say "or else".

Would you please go back and re-read my post. If you post again that you realize that I never said "or else" to you, then we can continue on.

"Or else" is the language of those who make threats and/or ulitmata (and ultimata, after all, are threats).

I am not one of those.

I never said "or else" to you, nor can I even imagine any situation where I would ever say "or else" to you.

[...]

Your expression in this forum that I said "or else" to you was after all nothing more than your public expression of your own personal error of wrongful inferrence.

which is again a baseless wrong accusation, as what I actually wrote is:
    rominet wrote in Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 pm:Your request to reply within seven calendar days or else... is inappropriate in my opinion. I'm not paid to work on FG, neither am I paid to do support, thus I don't welcome ultimatums in this context.

As you can see, there are not even quotation marks around the “or else” in my post, and I am only stating the plain truth since your message:
    captainjack wrote in Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 pm:My proposition to you: We can start over, and if you agree with me to start over, I will take full responsibility for our mishap.

If you accept my proposition, I request of you that you post back to let me (and anyone else reading this post) understand that you accept my proposition.

I know that you are a daily contributor here in the forum, so I think that it is reasonable for me to request that if you accept my proposition, you would post your acceptance here in this thread within 7 (seven) calendar days of the date of this post.

If there is no post from you within that time frame stating your acceptance of my proposition, I would infer (like you yourself or any other reasonable person would infer) that you have rejected my proposition.

undisputably contains an or else clause in its logic (last paragraph of the quote). Stop lying to try to make other people look bad.
  2. As I pointed out in this message, you wrote:

[...]

[...]

I am the end user.

[...]

which is in very clear contradiction, again, with your purported exemplary bahavior:
    captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 pm:Also, I never made any post suggesting that anyone else should do anyting at all.

If you find any of my posts where I obligated anyone else to do anything at all, I hope that you will make a copy of such a post, and then that you would post the copy of such a post here in this thread.

3. Last but not least, contrary to your (again) supposed exemplary behavior:
    captainjack wrote in Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 pm:While I edit most of my posts 'after the fact' for clarity and/or grammar, I have never removed any of my posts nor have I ever removed any original point from any of my posts. I may be proud of one of my posts or ashamed of another, but each of my posts remains there in its original form for all to see. I am not afraid to make mistakes in this community, and in any case where the community in general or any individual member of the community tells me that I made a mistake, it is my highest priority to first 'make good' by correcting my own error, and to then present evidence of correction to whomever called me to correct myself in the first place. Therefore: I am not a bad community member as your post suggested; Instead, I am an exemplary community member. Put another way, every community member in our forum should conduct himself or herself like I conduct myself. If each community member in our forum conducted himself or herself like I conduct myself, this community forum would be a much better place for all of us.

The truth is that an earlier version of this message of yours was quite different in substance (at least two significant differences: you thanked me for “setting [you] straight” at the beginning of the message, and the post scriptum didn't have all the material at the end pretending every community member should conduct himself or herself like you).

Looking at this other message of yours, I see nothing less than:
    Last edited by captainjack on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 32 times in total.

Sorry, but I have no desire to pursue discussion with someone so actively and substantially editing his posts.
I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately, it turns out that I cannot trust you. Since it now appears clear to me that trying to talk to you is useless, I am going to withdraw myself from this discussion and avoid interacting with you in the future.
rominet

Postby captainjack » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:45 am

rominet wrote in Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:26 am:captainjack,

Please stop distorting the facts:
  1. First, you said:
    captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:16 pm:Concerning second your first point: I never said "or else". I think you inferred "or else", and then attributed your inference to me as having said " or else ", but I didn't ever say "or else".

I am not one of those.

[...]

which is again a baseless wrong accusation, as what I actually wrote is:
    rominet wrote in Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 pm:Your request to reply within seven calendar days or else... is inappropriate in my opinion. I'm not paid to work on FG, neither am I paid to do support, thus I don't welcome ultimatums in this context.

As you can see, there are not even quotation marks around the “or else” in my post, and I am only stating the plain truth since your message:
    captainjack wrote in Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 pm:My proposition to you: We can start over, and if you agree with me to start over, I will take full responsibility for our mishap.

undisputably contains an or else clause in its logic (last paragraph of the quote). Stop lying to try to make other people look bad.
  2. As I pointed out in this message, you wrote:

[...]

[...]

I am the end user.

[...]

which is in very clear contradiction, again, with your purported exemplary bahavior:
    captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 pm:Also, I never made any post suggesting that anyone else should do anyting at all.

3. Last but not least, contrary to your (again) supposed exemplary behavior:
    captainjack wrote in Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 pm:While I edit most of my posts 'after the fact' for clarity and/or grammar, I have never removed any of my posts nor have I ever removed any original point from any of my posts. I may be proud of one of my posts or ashamed of another, but each of my posts remains there in its original form for all to see. I am not afraid to make mistakes in this community, and in any case where the community in general or any individual member of the community tells me that I made a mistake, it is my highest priority to first 'make good' by correcting my own error, and to then present evidence of correction to whomever called me to correct myself in the first place. Therefore: I am not a bad community member as your post suggested; Instead, I am an exemplary community member. Put another way, every community member in our forum should conduct himself or herself like I conduct myself. If each community member in our forum conducted himself or herself like I conduct myself, this community forum would be a much better place for all of us.

The truth is that an earlier version of this message of yours was quite different in substance (at least two significant differences: you thanked me for “setting [you] straight” at the beginning of the message, and the post scriptum didn't have all the material at the end pretending every community member should conduct himself or herself like you).

Looking at this other message of yours, I see nothing less than:
    Last edited by captainjack on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 32 times in total.

Sorry, but I have no desire to pursue discussion with someone so actively and substantially editing his posts.
I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately, it turns out that I cannot trust you. Since it now appears clear to me that trying to talk to you is useless, I am going to withdraw myself from this discussion and avoid interacting with you in the future.

Dear Rominet,

You are starting to split hairs.

Look at what you wrote to me :

As you can see, there are not even quotation marks around the “or else” in my post,

"Quotation marks".......

Really?

Are you starting to unravel?

What I was getting at is that I did not present you any kind of ultimatum.

And that I had responded to you in good faith.

And that I wanted to put this matter behind us.

And that I wanted to start again.

And that I was willing to take all the blame for our mishap.

Then, about your response:

You are spending an awful lot of time on minutia.

Also, would you please stop referencing my conversations with others in attempt to explain your position?

When you do that, you are involving yourself in a practice known as "Ally-grabbing".
Usually, "Ally-grabbing" is practiced by people who cannot defend their own words.
Typically, Ally-grabbers are in over their heads, so they scurry around searching for allies in order to divert attention away from their own personal inadequacies in any given argument.

Is that you?

If so, please stop doing that.

That is to say:

My conversations with others remain between me and them, and those other people are mature enough to comment to me directly about their conversations with me should they so wish. My conversations with them, after all, are not really any of your business, even if those conversations took place within a public forum. Please stop grabbing them in order to use them to argue your own personal case in your ongoing conversation with me.

I would ask you to instead :

Please try to concentrate only on what I am writing or have written to YOU , and not on what I have written to OTHERS. If you could do only that, not only would it would save you alot of time in responding to me, but it would also save our FG servers alot of bandwidth expense, and it would also help you and me both to progress more nicely in our conversation.

Thank you Rominet, and Happy New Year to you.

cj
captainjack

Postby captainjack » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:23 am

Dear Rominet,

I judge myself that I overreacted to your post about my example.
I should have just accepted your commentary about my example graciously, and should have thanked you for it, and should have let it go at that.
But I did not.
So I owe you an apology, and I apologize to you for that.
When I went on about it, I also took it upon myself to characterize elements of your personality.
I am not qualified to make such characterizations, and so I owe you a second apology for having done that, and I apologize for that, too.
I do not want to be at odds with you.
To tell you the truth, I enjoyed our interactions from the start, and even enjoyed interacting with you during our 'mishap'.
I believe that you are one of the 'good guys' in the forum.
From my point of view, I do not consider you and me to be "foes".
Life is too short for that, and after all, in FlightGear, we are all here to have fun.
I hope that you will accept my apologies, but if you do not, I understand.
These apologies are also sent to you by PM because you have already announced in this thread that you would no longer be following the thread. Therefore, not only do I make my apologies to you publicly, but of course I have sent a copy of my public apologies to you in PM, so that even if you no longer visit this public thread, you can nonetheless be able to consider my apologies.

Respectfully,

cj
captainjack

Postby matt_mazzo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm

hi everyone.

I would like to ask you if you have an idea about if there is the possibility to use a joystick button as the button 0 (left button) of the mouse.
I'm implementing the virtual reality, and i would like to be able to select device on the cockpit without using the mouse but just using a given button of the controller.
I tried to used your suggestion, but is not working.
Do you have an idea?
matt_mazzo

Postby rominet » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:30 pm

That is not very accurate.

On Linux, it is possible to translate joystick button presses into mouse events. I do this daily with a Python script. The joystick button presses are captured by SDL 2 :
Code: Select all
from sdl2 import SDL_Init, SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK, SDL_NumJoysticks, \
    SDL_JoystickNameForIndex, SDL_JoystickOpen, SDL_JoystickClose, SDL_Quit, \
    SDL_Event, SDL_WaitEvent, SDL_JoystickInstanceID, SDL_JOYBUTTONUP, \
    SDL_JOYBUTTONDOWN, SDL_QUIT
import sdl2.ext

(...)

class App:

(...)

def initSDL(self):
        SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK)
        (...)

(...)

def mainLoop(self):
        while True:
            event = SDL_Event()
            SDL_WaitEvent(ctypes.byref(event))
            if not event:
                raise sdl2.ext.SDLError()

if event.type == SDL_QUIT:
                break
            elif event.type in (SDL_JOYBUTTONUP, SDL_JOYBUTTONDOWN):
                if event.jbutton.which == SDL_JoystickInstanceID(self.joystick):
                    buttonsDict = self.buttons
                elif (params.heli_mode and
                      event.jbutton.which == SDL_JoystickInstanceID(
                          self.heliJoystick)):
                    buttonsDict = self.heliJoystickButtons

methName = "onUp" if event.type == SDL_JOYBUTTONUP else "onDown"
                try:
                    button = buttonsDict[event.jbutton.button]
                except KeyError:
                    pass        # Unhandled button → ignore
                else:
                    getattr(button, methName)(event) # Fire the callback
 (...)

and the mouse events are sent by UInput:
from evdev import UInput, ecodes
(...)

class App:
    def __init__(self, mumbleService, ui):
        self.mumbleService = mumbleService
        self.ui = ui
        self.initSDL()

(...)

def sendMouseEvent(self, button, buttonState):
        self.ui.write(ecodes.EV_KEY, button, buttonState)
        self.ui.syn()

def sendMouseEventCallback(self, event, button, buttonState):
        return self.sendMouseEvent(button, buttonState)

def main():
    global params

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
    params = processCommandLine()

with UInput(virtualMouseCapa) as ui:
        app = App(getMumbleService(), ui)
        try:
            app.mainLoop()
        finally:
            app.cleanup()

return 0

These are just snippets extracted from my code. You need to read the libsdl2 and UInput documentations to understand how it works. This dates from 2015, there are probably other ways (libevent, etc.).
rominet

Postby matt_mazzo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:56 am

rominet wrote in Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:30 pm:

That is not very accurate.

On Linux, it is possible to translate joystick button presses into mouse events. I do this daily with a Python script. The joystick button presses are captured by SDL 2 :
from sdl2 import SDL_Init, SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK, SDL_NumJoysticks, \
    SDL_JoystickNameForIndex, SDL_JoystickOpen, SDL_JoystickClose, SDL_Quit, \
    SDL_Event, SDL_WaitEvent, SDL_JoystickInstanceID, SDL_JOYBUTTONUP, \
    SDL_JOYBUTTONDOWN, SDL_QUIT
import sdl2.ext

(...)

class App:

(...)

def initSDL(self):
        SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK)
        (...)

(...)

def mainLoop(self):
        while True:
            event = SDL_Event()
            SDL_WaitEvent(ctypes.byref(event))
            if not event:
                raise sdl2.ext.SDLError()

if event.type == SDL_QUIT:
                break
            elif event.type in (SDL_JOYBUTTONUP, SDL_JOYBUTTONDOWN):
                if event.jbutton.which == SDL_JoystickInstanceID(self.joystick):
                    buttonsDict = self.buttons
                elif (params.heli_mode and
                      event.jbutton.which == SDL_JoystickInstanceID(
                          self.heliJoystick)):
                    buttonsDict = self.heliJoystickButtons

methName = "onUp" if event.type == SDL_JOYBUTTONUP else "onDown"
                try:
                    button = buttonsDict[event.jbutton.button]
                except KeyError:
                    pass        # Unhandled button → ignore
                else:
                    getattr(button, methName)(event) # Fire the callback
 (...)

and the mouse events are sent by UInput:
from evdev import UInput, ecodes
(...)

class App:
    def __init__(self, mumbleService, ui):
        self.mumbleService = mumbleService
        self.ui = ui
        self.initSDL()

(...)

def sendMouseEvent(self, button, buttonState):
        self.ui.write(ecodes.EV_KEY, button, buttonState)
        self.ui.syn()

def sendMouseEventCallback(self, event, button, buttonState):
        return self.sendMouseEvent(button, buttonState)

def main():
    global params

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
    params = processCommandLine()

with UInput(virtualMouseCapa) as ui:
        app = App(getMumbleService(), ui)
        try:
            app.mainLoop()
        finally:
            app.cleanup()

return 0

These are just snippets extracted from my code. You need to read the libsdl2 and UInput documentations to understand how it works. This dates from 2015, there are probably other ways (libevent, etc.).

First of all thanks to replying me. I apprecciate a lot .
I'm sorry, i actually was not so accurate in the previous comment. I tried a different of command, or modification about the xml file but nothing was working in my case.
Anyway, i'm working on a windows system. I' will try to implement this solution you've just adviced.
I tried to modify the xml code regarding the joystick (sidewinder-precision-pro).. in such a way to let recognize the click of the botton of the joystick as it were the click on the mouse.. to activate and deactivate the different tool present on the cockpit.
Until now, was not a great deal :roll: .
Do you have any further of suggestion?
thanks a lot

mattia
matt_mazzo

Postby rominet » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:51 pm

I'm afraid the UInput tool used by my Python script won't be usable on Windows. Thus, in order to follow same approach, you would need some other component that works on Windows and can simulate mouse clicks—sorry.
rominet

Postby vnts » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:49 am

matt_mazzo wrote in Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm:I'm implementing the virtual reality, and i would like to be able to select device on the cockpit without using the mouse but just using a given button of the controller.

With regards to VR, amalon (James Hogan on the mailing list) is also working on it, you should probably get in touch:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34434#p391039

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... sg37373264

Kind regards
vnts

Previous

Return to Hardware