Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Logitech mous(es) jerky slow control

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Logitech mous(es) jerky slow control

Postby Mr Biggles » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:23 pm

I just got started so please excuse me if this is that dumb, even though it might be.
I have a Logitech keyboard/mouse combination using the M510D mouse, I've also had the same problem with a different logitech mouse.
If I use them to change views, or control cockpit switches they have a significant (3~4 second "lag" followed by a huge jerk in view angles.) They also control things like throttles mixtures & so on incredibly slowly!
Keyboard controls are much more normal though.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Mr Biggles

Re: Logitech mous(es) jerky slow control

Postby Johan G » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:18 am

Reading some reviews there seem to be two reasons for lagging that comes up now and then for the Logitech M510: 1) Transmitter range, and 2) Dirt on the sensor

1) Transmitter range
A lot of people seem to have had issues with the the short range between the transmitter in the mouse and the USB plug receiver. This is very good for the battery life, but not so good if the mouse and the receiver are too far apart. One way around this is to buy a USB extension cord long enough that the USB receiver can be on the far side of the keyboard, just a few decimeters (a feet) or so away from the mouse instead of perhaps a meter (yard) or two.[1]

2) Dirt on the sensor
Another cause for lag that seem to be more rare is dirt on the sensor underneath the mouse, as I understand it a laser and a camera. From the older Logitech G5 that I currently use I have to now and then remove hairs and other dirt from the small cavity with the lenses for the laser and camera. I do this with a pair of fine tweezers, staying well clear of the lenses and being very careful to not scratch them. I guess a cotton swab could be used, but it would definitively leave cotton fibers that need to be picked out.
____
[1] I for some time used a very cheap wireless mouse that I needed to do that with. With the receiver only about 3 decimeters (1 foot) away from the mouse instead of slightly more than a meter (yard) away it worked great. Unfortunately it used up a pair of batteries in just two weeks, even though I always turned it off when not using it. Probably a downside of using a cheap one. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Johan G wrote in Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:18 am:1) Transmitter range
A lot of people seem to have had issues with the the short range between the transmitter in the mouse and the USB plug receiver. This is very good for the battery life, but not so good if the mouse and the receiver are too far apart. One way around this is to buy a USB extension cord long enough that the USB receiver can be on the far side of the keyboard, just a few decimeters (a feet) or so away from the mouse instead of perhaps a meter (yard) or two.[1]

this cable idea is something i hadn't thought about for one of my machines that experiences seemingly random wireless kbd/mouse dropouts... sometimes it is enough to toggle the mute on the keyboard or move the mouse a little more drastically to regain control... i'll have to look and see if i have a spare USB extension cable here and give a try to moving the receiver but ugh to having another cable which these things are supposed to reduce the use of... my kbd/mouse are within 4 feet of the receiver in the back of the unit Image
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Mr Biggles » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I just checked the sensor & its spotless & the transmitter is in a front mounted USB so its LOS & about12~15" from the mouse.
It also isn't like that with anything else, so I'm thinking it's some kind of mis-match of something? (Sampling rate? Resolution?)
Mr Biggles

Return to Hardware