Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System  Topic is solved

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System

Postby V12 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am

I'm thinking about this piece of the hardware. Have or test someone this thing ? What about quality ? I found some very negative reviews about center deadzone. How do you feel about this yoke ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Re: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System

Postby Isaak » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:17 pm

I'm using the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, rudderpedals and Throttle quadrant for about 6 (?) years now, and I 'm very happy with them, I don't have issues at all. I did clean out the pots last year because the dust that gathered in it was giving some noise spikes, but other than that I 'm ok with it. I did hear some negative feedback since Logitech took over Saitek, some people claim that the quality has decreased, but I can't tell that out of the first hand.

Compatibility with FlightGear is superb. Don't buy the radio or switch panel yet though, they don't work out of the box yet and work is still ongoing in creating an event system that has the ability to communicate with FlightGear. I've had a switch panel gathering dust since about 5 years ago, it's a pity I bought it.
Isaak

Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby V12 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Thank You.
I don't plan buy radio / switch panels, PMDG doesn't support it. 6 years flawless service is nice. Hmmm, I will try collect more infos for decission. I have second alternative - buy good joystick and rebuild it to yoke.
V12

Postby V12 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:38 am

I found very much negative reviews, I will buy new graphics card, probably some nVidia 1060, not that yoke...
V12

Postby Ddrf-leon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:07 am

The saitek pro flight Joke is pretty good for flightgear the build quality is good alswel
Ddrf-leon

Postby V12 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 am

Try land airplane in crosswind with deathzone +/-5 mm in pitch axis and +/- degs in roll axis. I tested 3 sets in computer store, all 3 had that deadzone. Precission approach was nightmare. This construction flaw is repairable - for more info check viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36357
V12

Postby xcvb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:08 pm

You get what you pay for. If you consider the price for professional yokes, I think the price for the Saitek yokes is ok. The rubber band modification only makes sense if you want to fly small planes like a Cessna. On large airliners, the springs more or less simulate the real forces you need to change the pitch.
xcvb

Version: 2018.1.1

Postby V12 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:16 pm

I did not bought it. And will not buy it till the producer removes that deadzones.
V12

Postby SurferTim » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:17 pm

xcvb wrote in Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:08 pm:You get what you pay for. If you consider the price for professional yokes, I think the price for the Saitek yokes is ok. The rubber band modification only makes sense if you want to fly small planes like a Cessna. On large airliners, the springs more or less simulate the real forces you need to change the pitch.

Unless you want to fly with one hand on the yoke and the other on the throttles. In that case, my yoke with the original detent springs binds up the aileron control when you pull back on the yoke, like to flair for landings.

But that wasn't the real problem. That is the dead zone. Mine is gone and I don't miss it.

Edit: After modifying my yoke with the Bodner part, I'm still trying to decide what to do with the other 6 analog and 12 digital inputs.
Fly low, fly slow, land on a dime. Twin Otter DHC6-300+.
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2019.2.0

Postby Robertfm » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:11 pm

I did the Bodner modification after watching a video. It solves the dead zone but elevator movement is a bit hit and miss. I tend to use my T16000 now. I used two of the other inputs to make a Trim wheel with a £3 Pot X 10 turn, and another pot which I have used as a rotary throttle.
Robertfm

Postby SurferTim » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:29 pm

Robertfm wrote in Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:11 pm:I did the Bodner modification after watching a video. It solves the dead zone but elevator movement is a bit hit and miss. I tend to use my T16000 now. I used two of the other inputs to make a Trim wheel with a £3 Pot X 10 turn, and another pot which I have used as a rotary throttle.

I'm impressed! How did you set up the Bodner joystick? I had to disable the first two axes in the Saitek Pro-Flight-Yoke.xml file or it kept trying to override my Bodner unit. If your yoke in the sim is jumping around at times, that is probably the cause. Mine is really smooth in both pitch and roll.

Edit: I had to switch computers. I opened /Input/Joysticks/Saitek/Pro-Flight-Yoke.xml and commented out these lines.
Code: Select all
<PropertyList>
    <name>Saitek Saitek Pro Flight Yoke</name>
    <name>Saitek Pro Flight Yoke</name>
    <name>Flight Yoke System</name>

<axis n="0">
        <desc>Aileron</desc>
        <binding>
            <command>property-scale</command>
            <!--property>/controls/flight/aileron</property-->
            <!--squared type="bool">true</squared-->
        </binding>
    </axis>
    <axis n="1">
        <desc>Elevator</desc>
        <binding>
            <command>property-scale</command>
            <!--property>/controls/flight/elevator</property-->
            <!--factor type="double">-1.0</factor-->
            <!--squared type="bool">true</squared-->
        </binding>
    </axis>

It works on X-Plane the same way. Go into setup. Mine warned me right away that I had two devices trying to perform the same function. The solution is go into the Saitek yoke setup and disable elevator and aileron.
Fly low, fly slow, land on a dime. Twin Otter DHC6-300+.
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2019.2.0

Postby Robertfm » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 am

Morning. The video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqkz2JxoFo shows the process. I purchased the Bodner and ready made cables and the process was a doddle even for me. I had disconnected the Aileron & Elevator in the calibration tool. As for the trim wheel, I purchased https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10K-Ohm-10-T ... SwQG9diIzG . I also purchased a 110mm perspex disk https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perspex-Blac ... f7e7faa410 I had a small box to mount it. The bodner was already programmed. Simply drilled a centre hole in disc and mounted it in the box and two long Bodner cables, one for the Trim and one for the rotary throttle which only needed the 10 turn Pot.

As I said before with idiot proof instructions I can do things. I think the issue with the Yoke was the mechanical movement rather than the Pots themselves.
Robertfm

Return to Hardware