Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

AI TRAFFIC GATE OCCUPANCY BEHAVIOR

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

AI TRAFFIC GATE OCCUPANCY BEHAVIOR

Postby jtprophet » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:27 pm

First off I'd like to thank the creator of Flightgear-Airports especially your latest release; needless to say a much more user friendly intuitive than taxidraw. This may have been discussed recently before but what I am seeing is when I assign a gate as a "C" gate in FGA and then save and export those changes to my xml file and then go into the sim ERJS instead of Airbuses and Boeings have done a takeover of almost all my assigned "c" class gates. Is there a way to fix this? But what I am about to reveal next might just close the book on this inquisition, because of the new compositor and how it looks so much better when it renders I am using 2020.4.0, and yes I know what those red letters mean when they flash across the screen upon launching FG however a famous song comes to mind something about tempted by the fruit of another...lol.

Thank-you,

John
jtprophet

Callsign: DAL1464

Re: AI TRAFFIC GATE OCCUPANCY BEHAVIOR

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:47 am

Hey John,

2 potential explanations

- You do not have enough D gates.

Aircrafts will always try to use the smallest gate possible, this creates the following snowball effect

if a CRJ cannot find a B gate (Radius 14m) it will look for the next size up (C / 18m).
This means the 737 and A320s (C) no longer find C gates available and will use the D Gates (33m)
This means the 777 and A330s (D) no longer find D gates but that is the largest possible value aside from E for A380 and 747-8. so they won't show up and you will get a "cannot find parking" warning in the console

So, when building

1. Always fit as many D gates as the airport allows (at some airport you will note the route/parking marking indicate on a single gate can be used by either one large aircraft OR two small ones side by side, in this case, always pick the largest possible.
2. Observe your traffic behavior: if a lot of smaller aircrafts use larger gates, it means they cannot find a smaller one, increase your number of C gates (convert Ds if needed) and run the test again
3. Increase yournumber of B gates if the issue persists

- The traffic file for these ERJs include the wrong radii for these aircrafts and they are declared as radii 18

What Airport / Airline are we talking about here ?

Cheers
Ian
Last edited by BecOzIcan on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby jtprophet » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:11 pm

Thanks Ian,

Currently working with KCLT and AAL as the airline; I believe the source of my problem may just be what you have touched on regarding the incorrect gate radius; I'll check that here soon. I am assuming although I am using 2020.4 which of course is still a developmental version of FG; the ai traffic behavior should still work on a foundation level once the correct gate radius is established?

Thank-you,

John
jtprophet

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:50 pm

jtprophet wrote in Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:11 pm:Thanks Ian,

Currently working with KCLT and AAL as the airline;

E75 & E45 traffic there would be American Eagle by Envoy Air. This is one of my files and the aircraft radii are correct

I am using 2020.4 which of course is still a developmental version of FG; the ai traffic behavior should still work on a foundation level once the correct gate radius is established?

Correct : Gate selection if a core functionality and will not vary with your FG version.

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby jtprophet » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:27 am

Ian your first reply, did you mean B gates instead of D size gates?

John
jtprophet

Postby BecOzIcan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 am

jtprophet wrote in Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:27 am:Ian your first reply, did you mean B gates instead of D size gates?

John

Hey John,

I have edited the first post to (hopefully) make it clearer :-)

Take care
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby portreekid » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:25 am

BecOzIcan wrote in Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:47 am:Aircrafts will always try to use the smallest gate possible, this creates the following snowball effect

if a CRJ cannot find a B gate (Radius 14m) it will look for the next size up (C / 18m).
This means the 737 and A320s (C) no longer find C gates available and will use the D Gates (33m)
This means the 777 and A330s (D) no longer find D gates but that is the largest possible value aside from E for A380 and 747-8. so they won't show up and you will get a "cannot find parking" warning in the console

This definitely warrants a warning in the log.

Keith
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Return to AI Traffic