Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

Groundnets and Performance  Topic is solved

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Groundnets and Performance

Postby pb321 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Until recently, I had never realized the extent of the drain on performance that AI can cause (as much as about 30+ FPS on my desktop)!

To maximize performance, what are some basic guidelines to keep in mind when developing new groundnets?

I assume the number of nodes should be kept to a minumum. What else?
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Groundnets and Performance

Postby BecOzIcan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:07 am

My understanding is that 3D models rendering (from buildings to statics to AI aircraft) has impact on performance and FPS, not the groundnets size or their number of nodes.

Cheers
Ian
Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Postby pb321 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:07 pm

My understanding is that 3D models rendering (from buildings to statics to AI aircraft) has impact on performance and FPS, not the groundnets size or their number of nodes.

That's good to know that it isn't the groundnets causing the difference in fps. When you refer to "AI Aircraft", are you talking about the aircraft traffic which move over a groundnet or those in AI scenarios?

There is a frequent message shown at startup that indicates something like "For better performance, try disabling AI Traffic." The check box is under AI, Traffic and Scenario Settings, Enable AI Traffic. When comparing checked vs unchecked performance, I generally realize a difference of a few fps. But on a couple airports lately, I've noted a very significant difference, Could it be only the amount of traffic at that airport or scenarios associated with that airport rather than the groundnet causing fps drops? What I'm seeing is definitely related to the Enable AI Traffic checkbox.

I can't remember at which airport I saw the greatest difference in fps, but I will try to find out and maybe we can compare results. Thanks for your reply!
pb321

Postby Johan G » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 pm

I would for example expect a small airport with maybe just one or two flights a week to have a much smaller impact than say a larger regional airport with several flights per hour. In addition there are often aircraft sitting on the apron between the flights. That may very well be the difference between 2-3 aircraft to load and 10-30 aircraft to load (3D model, livery, animation, and a direct route flight plan).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:46 am

something else to remember is that FG loads each and every defined AI flight listed in the schedule(s)... this takes time at the beginning of the session and each time you launch FG with AI enabled... FG has to run each flight each time it runs the main loop so it knows where each scheduled craft is located at that point in time... if the craft is within your range (100nm?) then it will show on the maps... if the craft is within your visual range, it will be added to the scene graph so you can see it...

FWIW: as near as i can tell, there're roughly 288733 flights currently defined in FG... "roughly" because i have some local-to-me stuff defined and because i've not updated this fgdata in a month or two... either way, moving 200000+ AI craft around takes time no matter how you slice it ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pb321 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks all! That clears things up!
pb321

Return to AI Traffic