Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

Multiple planes landing and taking off simultaneously

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Multiple planes landing and taking off simultaneously

Postby pb321 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 am

Is there a known fix for multiple planes taking off and landing simultaneously? I've been working for a considerable time on groundnets for KMSP, CYYZ and KDTW. The flows seem pretty good with no observed clogging of runways or taxiways after running for several hours, planes are taking off and landing, and pushbacks are working decently. One major problem remains: Sometimes more than one plane will use a single runway at the same time and sometimes planes are landing while another is taking off.
Is there a known way to fix this problem? I read that you should try to provide several quick turns off the runways but am not sure how to do it: simply provide bidirectionally connected nodes leading to a taxiway? I have a rwyuse.xml for KMSP that enables two runways for takeoff and landing. It helps but the problem is still present. Are there other ways to fix the problem?
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Multiple planes landing and taking off simultaneously

Postby BecOzIcan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 am

AFAIK

You can use RWYUSE to allocate each RWY to departures only (or landing only)

As a result
- Departing AI ACT will line up and use departing runways one at the time, each one on their turn
BUT
- Landing AI aircraft will often land in packs, one behind the other with no consideration of the previous AI ACT still being on the runway, braking or taxiing.

Cheers
Ian
Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:58 pm

pb321 wrote in Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 am:One major problem remains: Sometimes more than one plane will use a single runway at the same time and sometimes planes are landing while another is taking off.
Is there a known way to fix this problem?

are you talking about the AI craft flying autonomously? if so, no... not without getting in the the AI management code and doing something in there... each craft is its own entity and basically assumes it is the only craft so they will fly/drive right through each other and even buildings and player controlled craft... this is why they are also not marked "HOT" which allows them to pass through any/all scenery objects...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:24 pm

As far as I am aware they now respect eachother - they wait for eachother on takeoff and won't taxi through you anymore as of 2019.2 - however, bugs in groundnets may cause them to hold short on the runway itself. At least it does that here - on an airport with a groundnet; with an airport with no groundnet its probably different?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:52 pm

yeah, i was looking mainly at landing... they don't go into a holding pattern and await their turn to land...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pb321 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:07 am

Thanks for all your responses!
I have seen both problems mentioned: 1) aircraft taxiing through each other and 2) a swarm of planes coming in for a landing at the same time as a plane is taking off. At KMSP, two lines of aircraft form a fair distance from the airport, then circle into two takeoff and landing runways. They really do look like a swarm in the map.
    I've been able to get around most of the #1 situations by directing the flow of aircraft on the ground using unidirectional connectors between nodes. I will be anxious to try 2019.2!

For the #2 situations, a rwyuse.xml file for KMSP helps reduce the number of landing aircraft using the same runway at the same time (even as another plane takes off), but does not eliminate the problem. Ian and @wkitty have confirmed that this can't be avoided, if I interpret what has been stated above correctly. However, I currently have a groundnet/rwyuse combination for KMSP that uses two runways for both takeoffs and landings, seemingly contrary to what Ian has observed.
I do not yet have rwyuse.xml files for the two other airports mentioned. I can't seem to get the rwyuse for those airports recognized. Any thoughts on how I might go about resolving this problem?

I am not suggesting any code fixes and I am not capable of making any such changes myself. I'd just like to understand how ai aircraft can be expected to behave so I can generate decent groundnets.
pb321

Postby pb321 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:20 pm

This situation has been pretty much eliminated by assigning two runways for takeoff and two for landings, just as BecOzlcan described above. Rwyuse.xml files apparently do not become active until a groundnet is completely debugged, or at least, nearly debugged. Not sure of exact error that prevents rwyuse from working.
pb321

Return to AI Traffic