Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

ATC for training

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Re: ATC for training

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 pm

One important thing to note - I am perhaps wrong but as I understand it using any existing code that is GPL means that derivative code must be GPL as well.

For instance if your project was not GPL, as far as I know you could not use the std.Vector tools (that extend vector functionality) as they are contained in FlightGear/data and therefore under the GPL. I will let people who know more about this explain this more fully.

So it really depends if you want to develop commercial software or open source software. To be honest, I don't think there is much of a market for the first.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Okay, here's a custom navigation bar for people wanting to get started with FlightGear basics, i.e.:

• properties & property tree
  • xml
  • basic nasal scripting (console & repl)

Contributor Ground School

Feedback would be appreciated, I am sure we can optimize the structure and title of those links, and maybe add a more appropriate description to each link. But for that, we do need feedback from people new to these things, i.e. YOU.

The goal would be to provide a structure and form that people can use to learn more about properties, xml and scripting so that they can get started making simple changes.

All feedback/help would be appreciated - there's no need to tread carefully here, it's a new wiki page and entirely experimental, so please DO get involved (that is, if you don't already have a wiki account, please consider getting one)

It might also be interesting to use screen shots/images instead of textual links ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby RobAndrew » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Hooray wrote in Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 pm:Okay, here's a custom navigation bar for people wanting to get started with FlightGear basics, i.e.:

• properties & property tree
  • xml
  • basic nasal scripting (console & repl)

Contributor Ground School

Feedback would be appreciated, I am sure we can optimize the structure and title of those links, and maybe add a more appropriate description to each link. But for that, we do need feedback from people new to these things, i.e. YOU.

The goal would be to provide a structure and form that people can use to learn more about properties, xml and scripting so that they can get started making simple changes.

All feedback/help would be appreciated - there's no need to tread carefully here, it's a new wiki page and entirely experimental, so please DO get involved (that is, if you don't already have a wiki account, please consider getting one)

It might also be interesting to use screen shots/images instead of textual links ?

If I can help anywhere i'd like to, as a beginner myself. May I start by saying that your choice of English for this sort of thing would have to be.....as well worded as possible! That anyone (and I mean ANYONE! Think about writing to a baby! or making a person naturally talking a foreign language understand it) could read well. A lot of Wiki pages I've gone through and been pointed towards (Most, but not all) I just couldn't understand, because it was all so new and the language wasn't getting through. Sounded completely foreign (i'll find an example). That's what I struggled with most. It really has to be as emphasised as possible. Other than that...Go for it!
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:43 pm

right, that's a valid observation and obviously it's important. The other thing you have to keep in mind, is that many of the people around here (read: contributors) didn't learn English as their first language. Also, people with a background in computing/software (or IT) are obviously pretty likely to use a certain lingo/jargon due to this very background.

Fortunately, we may be in luck, since tfreriks stated that he is indeed not just a former software developer and a pilot, but also a professional writer ;-)

Seriously though, it would obviously be appreciated to review/tweak such problematic paragraphs/articles, but it's also important to keep in mind that they should remain accessible to people whose native language isn't English, while also still using the technically-correct terms (if in doubt, included in parentheses).

As you may have seen already, we do invite native speakers to help review/improve and proof-read contents added by our community, especially referring to some of the more prominent contents (think newsletter or release announcements)

Again, none of this is to suggest that I disagree with any of what you said, it is just to say that there is a very real bottleneck issue here, i.e. the number of people contributing to the project is not equal to the number of native English speakers.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 pm:So it really depends if you want to develop commercial software or open source software. To be honest, I don't think there is much of a market for the first.

Just to clarify my last point, what I meant was that while there isn't a problem with commercial add-ons being used with FlightGear I don't think there would be many people here from what I see that would pay for a payware add-on - the majority of those who would are probably using other simulators, not FlightGear...

That being said on re reading your posts it does seem that your tools are partly or fully geared towards real pilots? If so, the GPL license definitely allows an add-on to be commercial - in fact it would be perfectly legal to sell e.g. a DVD containing FlightGear and your add-on all packaged up ready to use :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Previous

Return to AI Traffic