Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

Determine"Altitude" of various Fresh Water Lakes?  Topic is solved

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Re: Determine"Altitude" of various Fresh Water Lakes?

Postby Hevii Guy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Thank-you, everybody, for the time that you've all taken on this!

wlbragg wrote in Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 pm:What is it you are still trying to achieve that has not been achieved

I'd simply like to choose any ship (or any combination of ships) from my AI list and have them sail in my current area of engagement without having to open and edit scenario codes (or ai/model internal properties) everytime.

I'm actually quite surprised that nobody has brought this up earlier and that what seems to be such 'fundamental' functionality isn't a default. Is there a reason why it shouldn't be?

...without having to open and edit scenario codes...

Oh yeah, I just remembered: I'd still be left with having to edit the latitude and longitude coordinates of the ships in the scenario files... :?
Hevii Guy

Callsign: CH-HEVI
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby wlbragg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:24 pm

OK, that is crystal clear. Hm, going to have to think about that. That is just not the way the AI works. By design it is setup to use a fixed route at a "starting" fixed location. You wanting to redesign the way the AI system works for some AI and have them start automatically near your aircraft.

Problem is the existing route is hard coded by lat/lon coordinates. If you move them using nasal I think they will teleport back to the predefined coordinate when the next leg is reached.

So you have to at least make a new scenario for all the AI you want to use and not assign a route (flight plan) to them. But then to get movement you have to reinvent the wheel and make a flight plan for them in nasal instead of using the AI manager.

This can all be done but the pain to gain is high when all you have to do now is just make a new scenario for any ship at the location you want with the elevation hard coded. Now, if indeed the class of AI that floats (ship, carrier, etc) all default to 0 elevation (or sea level) then maybe a note to the developer list to also include polling for lakes and not just a default of sea level is in order. Then you can at least eliminate the step of having to use nasal at all, just the normal AI scenario system.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Hevii Guy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:24 pm:...maybe a note to the developer list to also include polling for lakes and not just a default of sea level is in order...

This would be great :D ! However, it must be remembered that surface elevations of many bodies of water are dynamic as one moves downstream. Hence, it's very important to apply the coordinates which are actually under the keel at any time. Using a hard-coded elevation for most large lakes such as any of the Great Lakes (and, of course, the Bodensee as I've discovered), and certainly for all navigable rivers, wouldn't be realistic.
Hevii Guy

Postby wlbragg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Hence, it's very important to apply the coordinates which are actually under the keel at any time

Right, thus the discussion of ground based AI and the possibility that they track the elevation as they follow their "flightplan" (route). If they do indeed do that then they should be able to pass that functionality to water based AI.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 pm

I was under the impressoin that there's basically no terrain/elevation data available underneath any water bodies, i.e. that these are "modeled" using merely holes - is that wrong, i.e. are we actually able to run proper elevation queries (which would obviously be awesome, but also kinda unexpected) ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Hevii Guy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 pm:...under the impressoin that there's basically no terrain/elevation data available underneath any water bodies...

It would be quite cool if bathymetry were functional (imagine the possibilities, "Yellow Submarine" et al!). However, I really don't think that this is the case. It seems to me that currently, all water surface levels are simply relative to Mean Sea Level.
Hevii Guy

Postby Thorsten » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:04 am

I was under the impressoin that there's basically no terrain/elevation data available underneath any water bodies

No, there's nothing 'underneath' water surfaces, they are a landclass just like others - which however means that the water surface has an elevation, a roughness and all the other things any terrain type also has and respond to elevation queries the same way - you're just not getting water depth that way.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:09 pm

yeah, there's nothing under the terrain or the water... just take the UFO for a flight and go under the world to see what's what :mrgreen:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hevii Guy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:35 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:09 pm:...just take the UFO for a flight and go under the world to see what's what...

AI ships, pretending to be submarines :!:

* presently :wink:
Hevii Guy

Previous

Return to AI Traffic