Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

AI Documentation and references  Topic is solved

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

AI Documentation and references

Postby fereydoon031 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 am

dear David Culp
I'm trying to understand and developing AISHIP. I'm confusing about some parameters such as Lead angle and tow angle and setXerror function.
I have searched about this in wiki and froums but nothing found.
could you introduce me some documentation or references.

with the best regards
fereydoon031

Re: AI Documentation and references

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm

it seems google would yield better results for these terms than our wiki, I'd suggest to give that a try ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Hooray

Postby fereydoon031 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 am

thanks for your reply
I'm thinking that there is a reference which Mr David Culp has used to develop this part of code. because I saw many technical words about AI Object and i found some of them hardly with search in google.
fereydoon031

Postby Hooray » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:16 pm

"lead angle" is a fairly standard term actually
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby daveculp » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:53 pm

The AITraffic system was built on top of the AI system by Dirk Talsma. He would be the one to contact. I haven't looked at the AI code in about 15 years.
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Hooray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:09 pm

FWIW, Durk considers most of the existing AI traffic system obsolete anyway: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... /35485443/
Durk wrote: I’ve been in much doubt whether to continue with the existing code
base or to restart from scratch.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:57 pm

it would be a GoodThing<tm> to fix the bugs in the current code even if it is considered obsolete... the last post i saw about it was talking about a whole new thing based on HLA with a projected release several years from now :(

filtering out duplicates when the AI craft are loaded is the first step that needs to be handled... also not loading craft that are not flying in the next hour or two would be another GoodThing<tm>... these two fixes would eliminate a large part of the load on the AI system...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:16 pm

As far as I can tell, Stuart is the only one to have been working on HLA/RTI integration via Mathias's SimKit framework. For the time being, HLA/RTI must still be considered "pie-in-the-sky" unfortunately, and given the state of the existing AI code base, HLA/RTI isn't going to affect it anytime soon.

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... /35478493/
FSWeekend 2016 Discussion Minutes wrote:Ask Matthias to release SimKit so Stuart can release his HLA code.

From an IPC standpoint, the most relevant development we've seen in FlightGear recently is Richard's Emesary framework, which Stuart has been using to implement a moving-map type GPS device (the FG1000, based on the Garmin G1000) in a decoupled fashion using message-passing to separate things in an MVC fashion.

Given the restrictions in the current codebase that Durk summed up so nicely, it seems most likely that the next incarnation of the AI system in FlightGear will be designed to work along the lines of the multiplayer system, possibly in conjunction with an IPC mechanism.

Other contributors are regularly pointing out that these days, certain AI system features (think AI scenarios) are being supseded, i.e. the hard-coded AI system really only used to instantiate objects - but all the high-level logic lives in scripting space:

AI-Scenarios

Thorsten wrote:I have the feeling they;re a bit of a legacy feature. The AI system is pretty limited in what you can do, so AI gets replaced by more versatile Nasal solutions.

Compare tanker.nas with the AI aerial refueling demos - you can call the Nasal-spawned tanker everywhere when you're out of fuel, it interactively can provide you instructions to reach it, it automatically selects the tanker apprpriate for what you're flying,...

Compare the thermal demo with Advanced Weather - the AI thermals are on pre-defined locations, so there's just zero element of surprise in glider flight, you have to do a lot of preparation up-front in order to get gliding in a different location - Advanced Weather just generates them anywhere in the world, merged right into the other weather patterns,...

Nasal in static models makes them interact with aircraft, no need to pre-define AI or pre-load anything.

So if not for the Carriers, I think we could safely get rid of the AI scenarios - Nasal-driven Wingmen would be far superior in interactivity.

think fgms + Nasal scripting, which would mean that the whole thing could trivially be made to work inside fgfs (running in a background thread), as well as standalone (without fgfs) - because that's what fgfs is already doing. At that point, you could run all sorts of 3rd party addons directly on the multiplayer server (it being fgms-based or not) - think having a multiplayer server running Bombable on it, as well as some kind of shared/synchronized environmental/weather simulation.

(with some bindings to the networking/multiplayer (XDR handling) code, Nasal itself could even run the equivalent of fgms.nas using a subset of the existing C spaghetti code)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby fereydoon031 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 pm

daveculp wrote in Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:53 pm:The AITraffic system was built on top of the AI system by Dirk Talsma. He would be the one to contact. I haven't looked at the AI code in about 15 years.

thank you very much for your attention.
fereydoon031

Return to AI Traffic