Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

AI traffic LFMT

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Re: AI traffic LFMT

Postby bob755 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:10 pm

It's correct during daylight. It's only at night the the livery is wrong
bob755

Postby BecOzIcan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 pm

bob755 wrote in Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:10 pm:It's correct during daylight. It's only at night the the livery is wrong

I only looked at the original model setup (before migration), if the same approach has been retained with the new one something is not working in the texture translation command between day and night included in the model xml (Textranslate) http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Illuminate_faces

If nothing wrong in the XML then you need to check the texture mapping the in .ac model ie open the model in AC3D

Not sure anyone maintains Static Aircrafts. As far as I am concerned they are just a annoying legacy from a time when we had no AI traffic to fill parking spots and I am not intending to spend any time on fixing any of them.

If you are not planning on fixing the model yourself you can ask for it to be removed from your airport
http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Scenery_Database

Cheers
Ian
Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Version: 2.12

Postby bob755 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for the information. I agree the static aircraft are annoying.
The texture issue is not causing problems, It just look ugly at night so I probably won't try to fix the problem myself as I don't yet understand the workings of FG sufficienty well.

I think the biggest problem with parking is when the AI traffic occupies a the same spot as my aircraft as mentioned earlier in this post. If there was a way of preventing AI traffic using certain parkings that would help but I don't know if this is possible is it?
bob755

Postby gooneybird » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Yeah, It's a real pain when you spend a few hours creating a groundnet only to find up to 80% of the parking positions are filled with, or blocked by, static models, most of which are well past their sell-by-date :(

BecOzIcan wrote in Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:07 am:
bob755 wrote in Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:50 pm:I noticed that the traffic is taxiing across the grass to get to the RWY at this airport instead of following the taxi ways. I suppose it has something to do with the groundnet fiel.
Is thare any way of fixing this?

Thank

Just had a look at the LFMT Groundnet available in Terrasync (see below). There are parking positions (so AI aircrafts will have a spot to start from (or finish at when landing) but no route defined between runway and these parkings which explain the "roll directly from parking to runway threshold in straight line across the grass" pattern.

The problem with these parking only groundnets is that no AI will start from them, incoming traffic will taxi directly to a parking position but then be "killed" and removed from the sim.
Any traffic you see moving at start up are already in motion so wil have not been assigned a start position.

3 Alternative Pathways to resolution

Direct one step approach
- Install Taxidraw
- Import existing Terrasync groundnet
- Add routes (taxiways) between each parking and each threshold
http://wiki.flightgear.org/TaxiDraw

Indirect & Automated 2 steps approach
- Install WED, Download LFMT Layout
- Ensure the taxiways have yellow centrelines (or add htem)
- Export APT DAT
- Use a converter to transform yellow centrelines into a groudnet
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27342&p=257414&hilit=convert+apt+dat+groundnet#p257414

Indirect & Manual 3 steps approach
- Same than above but extra step :
- Use Taxidraw to refine the converted groundnet (Points on runway, Parking sizes, broken routes from disconnected centrelines etc)

Obviously, your first step should be to check if a WED complete layout is available, if not, taxidraw is the fastest way to go

Cheers
Ian

Which ever way you do it you will have to use Taxidraw at some point especially for the verification process.
I tend to do all the work in Taxidraw as for me it's easier to get the coordinates for the various nodes from somewhere like WED or Bing Maps rather than sort out the problems in a converted file. As long as the runway/s is/are correctly placed (needed for the "on Runway" verification) the rest can be done from the coordinates without a background image.

There are a couple of things to be aware of if using converted WED parking positions:
They will all have to be edited for "Gate Type", "Gate Number" and "Radius" etc. also they need repositioning slightly as the coordinates in WED are taken from the nose of the aircraft whereas in FG they are taken from the centre of the main gear which is usually middle of the aircraft, this is quite often the cause of many aircraft with their nose stuck in the terminal building.
Currently running 2018.1 but if it doesn't stop crashing I'm taking up tiddlywinks!
gooneybird

Callsign: G-OONY
Version: 2018.1

Postby gooneybird » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 pm

bob755 wrote in Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 pm:
I think the biggest problem with parking is when the AI traffic occupies a the same spot as my aircraft as mentioned earlier in this post. If there was a way of preventing AI traffic using certain parkings that would help but I don't know if this is possible is it?

If you use the same position each time you can remove that position in TaxiDraw or assign it to a fictitious airline.
Currently running 2018.1 but if it doesn't stop crashing I'm taking up tiddlywinks!
gooneybird

Callsign: G-OONY
Version: 2018.1

Postby bob755 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Where are the static aircraft defined? I don't see any aircraft objects when I look at the worl map, only buildigs vehicules etc.
bob755

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:39 pm

bob755 wrote in Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:32 pm:Where are the static aircraft defined? I don't see any aircraft objects when I look at the worl map, only buildigs vehicules etc.

1. Reference to the model name and position, in the EGKK scenery (STG file) as per the screenshot I already added in this thread https://scenery.flightgear.org/map/?icao=egkk
2. Position of the aircraft file on your computer as per the shared models wiki page I already provided a link too, in the same post
BecOzIcan

Postby Thorsten » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks for the information. I agree the static aircraft are annoying.

Not for those of us who do not spend their framerate on AI traffic.
Thorsten

Postby portreekid » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49 pm

There are a couple of things to be aware of if using converted WED parking positions:
They will all have to be edited for "Gate Type", "Gate Number" and "Radius" etc. also they need repositioning slightly as the coordinates in WED are taken from the nose of the aircraft whereas in FG they are taken from the centre of the main gear which is usually middle of the aircraft, this is quite often the cause of many aircraft with their nose stuck in the terminal building.

Oh that's news. Better fix that then. :lol: Since someone build all EGXX Airports in WED I want to batch translate them in to a semi good state. I built a crawler to give me a complete LoganAir schedule. So I have traffic between Westray and Papa Westray
portreekid

Version: 3.0

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 pm

portreekid wrote in Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49 pm:

Oh that's news. Better fix that then. :lol: Since someone build all EGXX Airports in WED I want to batch translate them in to a semi good state. I built a crawler to give me a complete LoganAir schedule. So I have traffic between Westray and Papa Westray

I am putting together a quick guide on how to place your parkpos so the nose wheel aligns with the stop bar. Will provide a link in this thread later tonight

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby bob755 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:11 pm

I am putting together a quick guide on how to place your parkpos so the nose wheel aligns with the stop bar. Will provide a link in this thread later tonight

Yes. That will help. Thanks
bob755

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:24 pm

bob755 wrote in Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 pm:I think the biggest problem with parking is when the AI traffic occupies a the same spot as my aircraft as mentioned earlier in this post. If there was a way of preventing AI traffic using certain parkings that would help but I don't know if this is possible is it?

you don't really want to prevent the AI From using certain parking spaces... the sim has code that puts certain classes of craft at certain parking areas as long as the parking area and the craft have the proper values defined... GA craft go in GA spaces... cargo craft go in cargo spaces... there's also a size determination where, for example, a B747 won't be placed where, for example, B707s park because the B747 is too large for the space... additionally, if there's a player craft in the space, an AI craft should not try to occupy it... this is what i spoke of earlier... the absolute soonest that any of the sim stuff can be fixed for you is in the up coming release in january... scenery and groundnet fixes may come via terrasync sooner but they may not work without the fixed sim code... that's IF anyone is actually working in this area of the sim code... remember, everyone working on flightgear is a volunteer and they work on what interests them...

[edit]

something that i have not seen is if i load up in the c172p and select a parking space where large craft like the B747 would go... the sim allows me to see and select any parking space... perhaps the launcher and the in-sim location selector need to be refined a bit more to only show (or show in different colors) parking spaces available for the craft we've chosen to fly... i was thinking as i wrote this that the valid parking spaces could be colored in green while those not allowed might be red or light red... maybe even don't even allow the click on invalid spaces? or pop up a message that the space is not valid for this craft? i dunno... something to think about and another possible enhancement to an already fantastic simulator :)
Last edited by wkitty42 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:25 pm

BecOzIcan wrote in Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 pm:

Cheers
Ian

Here you go : DOWNLOAD HERE

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby bob755 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:43 pm

That's a really interesting guide. Thanks.
bob755

Postby BecOzIcan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 am

bob755 wrote in Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:10 am:On the subject of AI , yesterday I saw that certain aircraft liveries are screwed up at night:

For information I just downloaded 2017.4 (nightly build) and I have the same issue with TEXTRANSLATE no longer working on my custom scenery buildings. The function operates correctly on my old 2.12 version with the same xml (see below)

I could not find any thread in the forum relating to a recent issue / bug report with Textranslate. Anyone her knows if the issue has been identified / reported ?
Input welcome

Cheers
Ian

BecOzIcan

PreviousNext

Return to AI Traffic