Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

fs2004/fsx ai flightplan converter?

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

fs2004/fsx ai flightplan converter?

Postby C032H272JB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi.

Are there any ai flightplan converter from fs2004/fsx to flightgear?

Greetings from Øyvind Hagen.
C032H272JB

Re: fs2004/fsx ai flightplan converter?

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Is there any need? With the following online flight planners available:
http://onlineflightplanner.org/
https://www.simbrief.com
There more ouit there no doubt, But just put in your start and finish airport code, your model of plane and let it do the rest and just download the correct file for flightgear, and remember to put the file into the "Roaming" folder in the "flightgear.org" folder. Otherwise you will not be allowed to change any aspect of the flightplan ( Altitudes at specific waypoints for the VNAV) Hope this helps?
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Sorry just noticed you wanted a AI flightplan convertor, I'm not sure if AI can be controlled within Flightgear in that way, I think that they have predetermined routes and flightplans well within the depths of the program, Maybe Thorsten can shed some light on this one?
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:29 pm

yeah, the AI in FG currently fly a basic straight line course to the destination once they clear the originating airport's airspace... their path is direct and attempts to reach a defined ceiling before they start their descent into the destination... sometimes they don't make the ceiling by mid-flight and they go a little crazy nose full up trying to get there while still moving toward the destination... they don't even care about mountain ranges and will happily fly right through them... use the UFO and follow one into KSFO from some starting point to the east... maybe KDEN? they'll go right through the mountains and come out on the other side over the bay preparing for landing...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 pm

once you have a list of lat/lon coordinates describing a flightplan, it would be relatively straightforward to modify tanker.nas to fly the corresponding route in a scripted fashion - obviously, that would not be using any FDM, and it would be agnostic to weather, terrain, scenery and other traffic - but it is do-able, and would not present that much work, especially not for someone already familiar with a JavaScript-like language (Nasal).

Basically, tanker.nas and the wiki is all you need - and of course a rainy weekend to come up with a prototype that you can share on the forum to get others interested in helping with that. And maybe a few more rainy weekends to refine the whole thing. But given what we have, and in the light of the well-known constraints of the hard-coded AI system implemented in C++, the scripted route is not such a bad idea - and there is quite a bit of existing code to be leveraged.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:50 pm

I know nothing wkitty42....but I am sort of glad that the reading I have done on F/G paid off!!! That AI don't follow any "rules" like we do mountain ranges can be "flown through" pity real life aircraft couldn't do that life would be much simpler!!!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Return to AI Traffic