Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

AI Traffic Manager cannot find airports  Topic is solved

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

AI Traffic Manager cannot find airports

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:40 pm

i have a list of airports that the AI traffic manager reports it cannot find... i'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this... my initial idea is to use the new custom scenery NavDat/apt structure to list them in for testing... the few that i've actually looked up do appear to have runways in FGFS but just no entry in the apt.dat...

my questions are:
  1. how should i create the necessary .dat file for fgfs to know where these airports are?

2. is a minimal apt.dat type file all that's needed? by minimal i mean one that has just the bare necessities...
    Code: Select all
    A
    1000 generated by hand by some person

1          ###  #  #  ICAO  common name

in the above maybe a 100 line if needed...

3. noting, again, that the ones i've checked already have runways in fgfs, is this something that has to be done in WED?

since the runways already exist in the scenery, i'm guessing that the airport does not have to be created... only the definition is missing for some reason... i have checked a few at the x-plane gateway and they don't have anything for them...

the list i have is of about 200 ICAOs... i don't know if this is all of them or not... they are the ones i see generated while sitting at KATL but i plan on sitting at other airports and gathering any others that the traffic manager complains about... i can share this list if someone wants a copy of it... my script simply grabs them all from my log file, sorts them and keeps only the the unique ones... while it does look for both "arrival" and "departure" airports, it doesn't care which it is and drops that word so all we see is something like

Code: Select all
Traffic manager could not find airport : EGDG
Traffic manager could not find airport : FAOR
Traffic manager could not find airport : FCOD
Traffic manager could not find airport : FLKK
Traffic manager could not find airport : FYWV

the above are the first five in my list... all of them have runways except for FCOD...

the main thing i want to do is to get the traffic manager to stop crying about missing airports and then we can get on with what else needs to be done to fix them up...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: AI Traffic Manager cannot find airports

Postby Gijs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:53 am

Not sure about the others, but FAOR is a relatively new identifier. Until 2013 it was FAJS, for the same airport. So there could very well be a mismatch there between FlightGear's default apt.dat (and thus scenery) and the AI traffic, with the former being older than the latter.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:22 pm

interesting... i wonder where i might find information like that?

would it be feasible to extract the FAJS info from apt.dat, modify it to FAOR and place it in the custom scenery NavDat/apt directory? i mean, i can easily do this but will there be a problem with two airport definitions overlaid on top of each other?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:17 pm

coming back to this... i did try extracting FAJS and putting it in the custom NavDat/apt area as FAOR but that didn't work at all... i asked about the problem i ran into on the dev mailing list and was told that this was not how they wanted to use the NavDat/apt stuff... i can understand that and was only going this route for testing...

so basically, it came down to list's fix the apt.dat and change the ICAO codes there for those airports that have been renamed... now i'm trying to figure out what's the best way to do that for the 198 airports that the AI Traffic Manager complains about... i'd prefer something i can automate to gather the data pertaining to each ICAO... is there a web site out there with this type of information??
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby BecOzIcan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Just updated SAA AI traffic and all aircrafts now FAOR based.

@wkitty42 did you resolve your issue with FAOR not showing in startup airrports list ? I have the same issue on my old 2.12 version.

I am using the most recent APT.DAT, I can see FAOR (no FAJS at all) in the file
Neither FAOR of FAJS showing in my startup Airport List. not sue if there is another file I need to update maybe ?

Starting from another airport and then going Menu Location Select Airport I can pick FAOR

Cheers
Ian
Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm

no, i did not... until FG updates and uses the new .dat files (and subsequently builds new world scenery), the problem will remain...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:13 am

Got it resolved by
1. Downloaded FAOR apt.dat from wed and
- copying Airport/Runways data onto my main apt.dat (in place of FAJS lines)
- renaming downloaded wed file from apt.dat to FAOR.dat and placing it in my custom Scenery/NavData/apt
2 Copying Terrasync Scenery (Objects and Terrain) to my custom scenery folder then
- RenamingAirport object name in Objects/e020s30/e028s27 from FAJS.btg.gz to FAOR.btg.gz
- Changing referene to Airport object name in Objects/e020s30/e028s27/3411952.stg from FAJS to FAOR

Hope this helps
Cheers
Ian
Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:15 pm

that looks like a workable procedure... i would hope that these things will be fixed soon-ish and new world scenery released with an up-to-date set of DAT files...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to AI Traffic