Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

F-18 AI Livery

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

F-18 AI Livery

Postby Foxtrot15 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:19 am

Hi, really sorry if this is under the wrong topic, would appreciate if any of your can place it in the correct one.

Just wanted to know, what is the directory of the "VFA-136' livery (of the F-18) that can be seen when deck park is enabled on the carrier.

https://goo.gl/photos/2HRa6agdE7btgFeU6

https://goo.gl/photos/gxTZ5vkVDCcDQst69
Foxtrot15

Callsign: Ice-99
Version: 2016.1.0

Re: F-18 AI Livery

Postby Johan G » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:47 pm

That is a tricky one. A bit of investigation shows that the aircraft is a part of the 3D model "$FG_ROOT/Models/Geometry/Nimitz/vinson-parks-and-objects.ac" which contains a lot of objects that populate the Vinson flight deck. From looking into the .ac file (in a text editor) it seems the texture for the aircraft would be "fa-18-low-map.png" in the same directory.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:21 pm

i looked for about 30 minutes and never found it... i never would have thought to look in the Geometry directory...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:57 pm

I was trying to figure out the rough details of the carrier scenarios a few years back, trying to figure out what in the whole virtual world "hot" would mean, and to some degree find my way around in those directories because of that.

It turned out that "hot" have two very separate meanings: 1) A "hot" model can be landed on (or crashed in to),* and 2) "hot" actually stands for "height over terrain" which is a work around required if you want for example an AI train to move along on top of and attached to the terrain surface.** Of course, both confusingly are set with the "enable-hot" model animation. ;)

* See the wiki article section Howto:Animate models#Enable-hot (perm)
** See the wiki article section AI groundvehicles#The model (perm)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby AndersG » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:45 pm

Johan G wrote in Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:57 pm:It turned out that "hot" have two very separate meanings: 1) A "hot" model can be landed on (or crashed in to),* and 2) "hot" actually stands for "height over terrain" which is a work around required if you want for example an AI train to move along on top of and attached to the terrain surface.** Of course, both confusingly are set with the "enable-hot" model animation. ;)

Actually, it is the very same hot (i.e. solid) property - it is just that the ground intersection test earthbound AI objects use cannot separate other solid ground (and objects) from itself, so, consequently, it keeps climbing on top of it self...
Last edited by AndersG on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Foxtrot15 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:35 am

Thanks very much guys!
Foxtrot15

Callsign: Ice-99
Version: 2016.1.0

Return to AI Traffic