Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

Announcing AI CargoTowing Capability

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Re: Announcing AI CargoTowing Capability

Postby wlbragg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:51 pm

rastafioul wrote in Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 am:- When you drop the container, does the aircraft react according to this? (haven't had the time to test yet)

No, I worked on this before I knew anything about how to add and subtract weight from the aircraft. I now know how to do it and I would definitely add it in any future updates.

- Have you had a look at the hooking when landing the awesome F-14 on a carrier

No I haven't but that is a good idea, it may have some useful techniques.

- Now the scenarios can be loaded "on the flight" just by checking a box. Wasn't it the case when you developed and therefore would it be good to check how it's done?

I think this is set up the same way with the exception that you have to also have the code built in to the aircraft. But it should show up in the GUI scenario list. Unless your referring to something else?

- Would it be possible with your code to make the container "land" on the ground (and setting the weight to 0), even if it is still hooked?

Yes, I know how to do something like that now. These are all great ideas I'd like to see implemented. My first concern when I take this project back up is to clean up what is there and fix the rope tow physics portion.
There is the tiedown code that onox created that might come in real handy for this. Currently it is using an adaptation of the AI towing code, "aerotow".

- Would it be a good idea to make multiple "container-like-and-much-smaller" objects that would, towed together, make the rope?

Your talking about chaining together multiple objects to tow with a rope? I guess I'd want to know of a real world application before I would take the time to incorporate that.
The inspiration for doing this was the video of a copter pilot loading x-mas trees on a truck. Absolutely phenomenal flying and coordination. I really want to finish this to allow for that type of hauling.

Man!... You got my interest with that thing

Ya, well you got me going again too! :D
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 pm

that xmas tree stuff really is awesome and would make for a nice challenge (or even a game) built right into FlightGear - in fact, a Nasal script (or even an autopilot) should be able to demonstrate the whole thing interactively ;-)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 pm:that xmas tree stuff really is awesome and would make for a nice challenge (or even a game) built right into FlightGear

That was the original idea.
wlbragg

Postby rastafioul » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:49 pm

The question about chaining multiple objects was to make a chain so it would act as a rope. But it seems you already have a solution to that.

I asked about the scenario being loaded on the flight because I thought that I would be awesome that any aircraft could tow anything towable/hookable: container, jeep, other/crached aircraft, water basket...
Which makes me remember that someone already thought about it on an other thread with you:
your script could be used to "hook" other things like other aircraft (cf virgin galactic -- go go Richard B.! thumbs up! -- ) or missiles without been needed as submodels of the aircraft.

But you are right, one step at the time, first the rope, then the weight, then ... and then it works with one airplane and only, let's see how it could work seperately.

I just tried to drop the container... So cooool! You really did a great job!

I checked out the code about the catapult and wire of carriers but until now, it just like Chinese to me: I can't figure out where to find the properties in .nas or .xml, where to find external nas functions, what means all those numbers in the .ac files...

After the tree trick, the next one is, over MP, to catch the tree dropped from an other Heli just like in trapeze circus! :) (but this is no simulation anymore...)
Thanks to every single person who helped and/or still helping to have such a great simulator.
For those who would find any complain to do: help or shut up and buy one!
rastafioul

Version: 2016.2.1

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:04 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:51 pm:
rastafioul wrote in Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 am:- Would it be a good idea to make multiple "container-like-and-much-smaller" objects that would, towed together, make the rope?

Your talking about chaining together multiple objects to tow with a rope? I guess I'd want to know of a real world application before I would take the time to incorporate that.

how about carrying people like firefighters dropping into a fire zone? i know there are other applications where guys are hung on a rope under the craft while it flies from one location to another, too ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:38 am

rastafioul wrote in Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:49 pm:The question about chaining multiple objects was to make a chain so it would act as a rope.

I see, the other solution would act like the current one, a rope under tension without bending, so it is not the ultimate solution. I'll bet a shader could be made to handle the rope.

I asked about the scenario being loaded on the flight because I thought that I would be awesome that any aircraft could tow anything towable/hookable: container, jeep, other/crached aircraft, water basket...

Ideally, that would be the ultimate solution and worth another look at.

After the tree trick, the next one is, over MP, to catch the tree dropped from an other Heli just like in trapeze circus! :) (but this is no simulation anymore...)

Absolutely, there is a lot to think about and prepare for.

FYI: I updated the two links above to default to a hard docked mode where the cargo is attached to the air frame of the copter. It was setup to default to the tow rope mode which is way more buggy and incomplete.

wlbragg

Postby rastafioul » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 pm

for my personal use, I made some changes in your script.

First, I moved the container things in fg-root/Models/Cargo/ so it could be used by other aircraft and changed the scenario accordingly
then, I put the cargo.nas in fg-root/Nasal/cargo/ for the same reason (but there is a link to hookaltitude that makes me wonder if it's a good idea since this should be related to the aircraft used)
I think I did not move the rope things. (even if I am still using the first script you gave)
It works with the aircrane pretty well but without the rope seen.

I change things accordingly (well, I hope) in files for the EC130 which already had a hooking part using aerotow.
I think I removed all the aerotow used initially but the keys do not work (cannot hit autocargo, hook on or release) whatever I try to do until now (changing properties through xml or through script like they do it on the EC130).
Using the "/" key then /sim/model/ I can do it.

I also have two "cargo hook" on the menu which seems wierd, doesn't it! ;)

This way, it does manage to "hook" the container but when flying, I cannot see it from a tower point of view as I can with the aircrane and cannot drop it since the keys still do not work.

Any lead to help me out on that?

Anyway, it makes work the hoovering to catch that container! ;)
And for the development, I wish I would not need to way for the engine to start. (there is a quickstart but we just don't hit the buttons.)
Thanks to every single person who helped and/or still helping to have such a great simulator.
rastafioul

Postby rastafioul » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:39 am

I did managed to make the key working and to see the container in flight! cool

The keys were just that they had to be defined in ec130-set.xml and not in the ec130-multikeys.xml.
The view of the container was just a wrong path.

I managed to check on local multiplayer but sadly, it does not seem to load the same instance of a scenario since:
- aircrane does not see the ec130 container and vice versa as I loaded both with the scenario
- I can't get the aircrane to hook the invisible-for-the-aircrane container left by the EC130.

I am going to check on scenario sharing and position of the container for the aircraft.

Is what you changed in aerotow still allows to use it as it was initially?

I am so glad to be able to hook things on the Helis! :)
Can't wait to have the rope bending effect and the weight working!

I'll be happy to share what I did with you. Just ask and I'll clean and document what I did before giving it.
rastafioul

Postby Martien van der P. » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:30 pm

I was also experimenting with the cargo hook some months ago, I wanted to make a scenario to pick up a BambiBucket 910 liter for underneath my MD902. But I didn't finish it (wish I found this thread months ago :) ), and now I don't have much time to finish it. This is how the model looks right now:
If someone wants to use this model right now let me know.
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wlbragg » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:19 pm

I managed to check on local multiplayer but sadly, it does not seem to load the same instance of a scenario since:
- aircrane does not see the ec130 container and vice versa as I loaded both with the scenario
- I can't get the aircrane to hook the invisible-for-the-aircrane container left by the EC130.

That doesn't surprise me as there are no MP parameters set to pass. But I think that is possible to do.

Is what you changed in aerotow still allows to use it as it was initially?

Yes, the code is still there but I changed the default to be "hard docked cargo lifting". What I mean by that is no rope and the cargo doesn't extend down with a rope, it is attached to the undercarriage of the copter. It is for hauling big shipping containers attached directly to the copter. All the "hanging by the rope" code is still there it is just commented out.
There are two docs that show how to set it up either way. It is about 4 or 5 lines of code in a few files that needs changed, mostly just the positions of the attachment points and a function call to the rope animation code.

Speaking of rope, do you see the rope now?

I'll be happy to share what I did with you. Just ask and I'll clean and document what I did before giving it.

Absolutely, I am interested in it. Do you have a git repo for it?

Your previous post said you couldn't see the cargo once it was attached to the copter. It sounded like you maybe didn't have the submodel part of the code active.

Besides the two types of cargo hauling (hanging or hard-docked), there are two completely different internal methods to animate the carried cargo. The default and the one I imaging you have working, is a cheat. What I wanted to do originally is to be able to attach to an AI object and carry that, it could be any AI object at that point. But what I found was it was too slow internally and I was getting teleporting in the animation while moving. The cargo moving couldn't keep up with the airplane. One must have been moving at FDM rate and the other at frame rate. At the time I didn't full understand the difference between the two. Knowing what I know now, maybe there is a way around that so you could actually move the physical AI object in real time. You will see a couple lines of code in Cargo.nas that are commented out that have variables with name realtime in them. They are a switch that changes the transportation from using a sub-model (cheating) to transporting the AI object in real time.

What I mean by cheating is what is actually happening is something like this...

(cheating)
1) AI model is loaded on the ground at point A.
2) Copter attaches to AI model.
3) AI model is hidden (moved by code below surface of the earth) at the same time a hidden duplicate ballistic sub-model is set to visible at the same space (x, y, z) of the AI model.
4) Ballistic sub-model travels with copter to release site, point B.
5) Ballistic sub-model is release using the ballistics code and drops back to earth.
6) Ballistic sub-model is hidden upon contact with earth, AI model is recalculated and moved to point B impact spot and given the last x, y, and z of ballistic sub-model.

VS

(real time)
1) AI model is loaded on the ground at point A.
2) Copter attaches to AI model.
3) AI model's position is changed at FDM/ or frame rate to match copters position and travels with copter to release site, point B.
4) AI model hidden, ballistic sub-model visible, released via ballistics sub-model routines.
5) Ballistic sub-model is hidden upon contact with earth, AI model is recalculated and moved to point B impact spot and given the last x, y, and z of ballistic sub-model (or ideally you would write independent physics for AI model drop).

Both options are there now, made available through commenting and un-commenting code.

@Martien van der P

I would definitely like to incorporate the BambiBucket in this scenario. I think it could be a GUI option and would be a great addition.
wlbragg

Postby rastafioul » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:31 pm

So, MP -> added to a todo list.

About rope, I still don't see it and don't focus on this right now.

I have been coding the cargo.nas file and changing some things so we could just click on a dialog box and switch from hardDocked to Roped.
But... nothing happens
in cargo.nas,
the props seem to be ok as I see them in the property console.
Would that code work when been called in Aircargo.timer() as me.updates_vars();
Code: Select all
  ################################
  ### ajout pour cargochoice 
  ###  all the obj might need to be set everytime on the aircraft.timer
  ####

AircraftCargo.update_vars = func {
  print("update_vars called");
  me.cargoType=props.globals.getNode("sim/model/cargo-type");
  me.towRopeLength = props.globals.getNode("sim/hitches/aerotow/tow/length");

me.hookDistance = props.globals.initNode("sim/model/cargo-hook-distance");

if (me.cargoType==cargo_type_dock){
     me.hookHeight = props.globals.getNode("sim/model/cargo-hook-height-dock");
   me.towRopeLength = 0;
  }
  if (me.cargoType==cargo_type_rope){

me.hookHeight = props.globals.getNode("sim/model/cargo-hook-height-rope");
   me.towRopeLength = props.globals.getNode("sim/hitches/aerotow/tow/length");
  }

}
  ### ajout pour cargochoice - - - -
  ###################################

AircraftCargo.timer = func {
   me.update_vars();

}

Also, I can't get the hold using nasal of the property in aircraft/models/aircrane.xml nor in the cargo.xml files thinking that if I could change the "z-m" length in both to change the rope length accordingly tow-length and change the animation values so it acts as if it was commented.

(EDIT Aug 1 2016 : question asked on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26287&p=291633#p291633 )

aircraft/models/aircrane.xml
        <offsets>
         <x-m>-2.5</x-m>
         <y-m>0</y-m>
         <z-m>-30</z-m>
            <pitch-deg>0</pitch-deg>
        </offsets>
    </model>

models/cargo.xml
<animation>
      <type>rotate</type>
      <property>orientation/roll-deg</property>
      <factor>.99</factor>
      <center>
         <x-m>0</x-m>
         <y-m>0</y-m>
         <z-m>30</z-m>
      </center>
      <axis>
      <x>1</x>
      <y>0</y>
      <z>0</z>
      </axis>
   </animation>

Well, I guess I am going to have to have a look at git so I could share the whole code with you.

Your previous post said you couldn't see the cargo once it was attached to the copter. It sounded like you maybe didn't have the submodel part of the code active.

Yes it was just a wrong path given

I used to have two menu cargo_dock and the scenario loaded twice.
The menu issue was because I put the nasal on fg-root/ and kept one in the aircrane/nasal/
Before changing the nasal, the scenario loaded just once but now, it loads twice again. I must admint... I wonder why. (no, this not the refrain of a song)

Thinking about realtime, what would happen if you would hook a AI aircraft and drop it?

Plus, can you give me way to see variables when I call them?
I just never know what's happening: the print or printf thing doesn't do anything. :(

With the bambibucket, someone is going to have to make a swimming-pool scenery! :D
Last edited by rastafioul on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rastafioul

Postby Martien van der P. » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Here is the link for my BambiBucket (.blend and .ac file): https://github.com/MV-DP/BambiBucket
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wlbragg » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:04 am

rastafioul wrote in Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:31 pm:so we could just click on a dialog box and switch from hardDocked to Roped.
the props seem to be ok as I see them in the property console.
Would that code work when been called in Aircargo.timer() as me.updates_vars();

Technically it should be possible to do this. There is more to it though than just those properties, the flow of the code changes depending on which type of cargo is being used.

Also, I can't get the hold using nasal of the property in aircraft/models/aircrane.xml nor in the cargo.xml files thinking that if I could change the "z-m" length in both to change the rope length accordingly tow-length and change the animation values so it acts as if it was commented.

I'm not sure I understand this?

Before changing the nasal, the scenario loaded just once but now, it loads twice again. I must admint... I wonder why.

I would have to see the code to be able to comment on this,

Thinking about realtime, what would happen if you would hook a AI aircraft and drop it?

It seems like when I first started this I tried to adapt the towing code directly and I was actually able to hook other AI craft but I couldn't move them. It's been so long since I did any of that, I am not really sure what was actually happening.

Plus, can you give me way to see variables when I call them?
I just never know what's happening: the print or printf thing doesn't do anything. :(

There are several ways to make variables visible for debugging.
The "print" is sending it to the console (that is a separate command window you have to have turned on). The way I do it using the new internal FG launcher is to create a shortcut (Windows) that launches fgfs.exe and in properties/target put the following
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear3-16\bin\fgfs.exe" --launcher --console
or whatever your path is.

If you want to see it on the FG screen a quick way (probably not the best way) is to use either
static text
gui.popupTip("Both pontoons DAMAGED!", 5);
or variable
gui.popupTip(variable-name, 5);
or both
gui.popupTip("Both pontoons DAMAGED="~variable-name, 5);
I think the variable is output that way. The number is the length of time in seconds (I think) that the message is to be displayed.

Another way in FG is with the use of the helper function logger
logger.screen.white("Your not allowed to sit on hopper");
or again, I think,
logger.screen.white(var-name ~ " Your not allowed to sit on hopper " ~ another-var-name );
With this you have to have logger helper active. I will add it to the code so we can use it when needed.

I am assuming variables are done the same as above with both methods, at least that is how you append them in nasal.

So with all that discussed I think we need to organize this so I created a Git repository. It is the last version (hard dock) I posted in this thread.

You need a GitHub account and I need you user-name to give you commit access.

I would like to make our first task to create and get working the GUI choice to do hard dock or rope. I think then we can more easily work on either mode.

If you can clone this and then push your latest work as a Pull Request (make a different branch and push it, then ask for a PR on it), then I can compare all the changes you made and we can discuss and go from there. Sound like plan?

One thing I would like to ask, is that whenever anyone push to this repository they do it to a different branch that can be reviewed prior to being merged into master. "Master" will be the release branch and should therefore always be in working order.

EDIT:
I added a third method for displaying properties to the screen for debugging. It is commented out at the top of Cargo.nas.
###############################################################################
# On-screen debug displays
var enableOSD = func {
    var left  = screen.display.new(20, 10);
    var right = screen.display.new(-300, 10);

left.add("/sim/model/cargo-auto-hook");
    left.add("/controls/cargo-release");
    left.add("/sim/model/cargo-hook");

right.add("/sim/hitches/aerotow/tow/length");
    right.add("/sim/hitches/aerotow/rope/rope-diameter-mm");
    right.add("/position/longitude-deg");

}
# Debug settings.
enableOSD();
wlbragg

Postby rastafioul » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:11 am

| nasal loaded twice: SOLVED
| print and logging not fonctionning: SOLVED
| update_vars not working : SOLVED
|--->newbee error: two files (cargo.nas and cargo_backup.nas) under fg-root/nasals/ so I put back the .nas under the aircrane/nasals

I now get to see the rope... (and can move it's heli-rope and rope-cargo hitches ! ;) ) I guess it was because of the double .nas in the fg-root/nasals folder why but when active, it seems very cpu heavy on my computer (a lot more lag).

Ai aircraft :
( +++ EDIT aug 1 2016 )
I guess if you went for this solution, it means it was useful.
What about that autopilot idea?
or a model that would have "for engine" informations coming from the rope? would that be realisable? would that make the behavior mor realistic?
( --- EDIT aug 1 2016 )

container location :

Rereading your first post, theses are the same problems... ( +++ EDIT aug 1 2016 )

It seems it is hard coded in models/aircrane.xml and therefore cannot dynamically change it.
Same as for the models/Cargo-submodel.xml
I am expecting an answer from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26287&p=291633#p291633

I tried this for both files, not knowing how to define default value, from the same topic and http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Add_su ... rientation
but maybe i misunderstood how it works.
                <x-m>
                    <property>/ai/models/aircraft[0]/x-m-offset</property>
                    <offset>4</offset>
                </x-m>
      <y-m>
                    <property>/ai/models/aircraft[0]/y-m-offset</property>
                    <offset>0</offset>
                </y-m>
      <z-m>
                    <property>/ai/models/aircraft[0]/z-m-offset</property>
                    <offset>-3.25</offset>
                </z-m>

As if it works, it is possible to model a winch like in rescue operations, it might already exist on an other aircraft. Any idea if one already have this?

dialogs
I created new dialog so I can check things and move them easily. It used to be great but for some unknown reason, it stops appearing as it it goes by the if condition.

improvement
Do you know a way to draw a sphere around the hooking hitch that could define visually the hooking range?

You will see on github as soon as I push the uncleaned code.
rastafioul

Postby wlbragg » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:50 pm

rastafioul wrote in Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:11 am: What about that autopilot idea?
or a model that would have "for engine" informations coming from the rope? would that be realisable? would that make the behavior mor realistic?

The one thing I really want to watch for is that we keep features "realistic", as in they are true to real life. But because it is possible to control the copter precisely in real life we should be able to do the same. There is already some FCS (Flight Control Systems) at least partially in places, including cas, sas, auto-hover. See the aircraft help and fcs-management.nas

It seems it is hard coded in models/aircrane.xml and therefore cannot dynamically change it.
Same as for the models/Cargo-submodel.xml

I'm not sure we can change it through xml, but I know we can in nasal. Even if we have to change the method.

Keep in mind I did this before I was aware of much of what is capable in FG, so there may be a better way to do this than what we are starting with. Also I am not sure I am happy with the OOP style that I tried to follow when I originally created this code.
We may find it a better plan to scrap portions and refactor portions of this whole thing.

I tried this for both files, not knowing how to define default value, from the same topic and http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Add_su ... rientation
but maybe i misunderstood how it works.

Instead of in the xml I think it needs to be done with a listener or timer loop in nasal.

As if it works, it is possible to model a winch like in rescue operations, it might already exist on an other aircraft. Any idea if one already have this?

Yeah, that would be a nice addition.

Do you know a way to draw a sphere around the hooking hitch that could define visually the hooking range?

I'd have to give that some thought, but that is where the realism comes into play. I would like to know what equipment there was in real life to make this easier for the pilot. Look at the Wiki on the AirCrane and read how the different pilot seat configurations were. It sounds like they had one facing backwards towards the cargo, along with some of the FCS features, I can see where something like that may eliminate the need for a cheat for us because we are limited by the restrictions of a sim.

I don't know what experience you have with git, (specifically GitHub), but it has a feature for adding issues to the repo. An issue can be anything from a bug to a new feature. We can create an issue for all these ideas and then collaborate with each other on them. It will really help to organize all our ideas and keep us from loosing them over time because the ideas have a permanent location. Also it helps you focus on one at a time and it is way easier to get things accomplished in an orderly fashion. You will find that the only time we come to the forum from then on is for help with specific "how to" questions and support from the community.

I want to start transferring all these ideas to issues on GitHub, then we can tackle them one at a time and close them as they are finished. You will find it really focuses you on the specific task at hand. I'll go add a couple so you get the idea, that is if you don't already know GitHub system.
wlbragg

PreviousNext

Return to AI Traffic