Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

If FlightGear won't install on Windows 7, read this!

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

If FlightGear won't install on Windows 7, read this!

Postby Quadunit404 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 am

Based on reports posted here, FlightGear 2.0.0 is having issues with installing on Windows 7. The installer hangs when trying to create directories in the default install path. Fortunately there is a way to counter that.

1. Create a folder in your personal folder (C:\Users\<username>)
2. Make sure there are NO SPACES in the directory. For me, I named it "flightgear" sans quotation marks.
3. Launch the installer.
4. When you get to the directory part, select the folder you created in your personal folder (repetitive innit?)
5. Everything else, as far as I know, can be left the same. The sole exception is Terrasync.
6. Installation should continue as it should.
7. ???
8. PROFIT! You installed FlightGear 2.0.0 on your Windows 7 PC and should be able to launch the simulator just fine.

This was tested on an Acer Aspire 4530-6823 notebook with the specs you see down there in my sig. Your mileage may vary.
Quadunit404

Re: If FlightGear won't install on Windows 7, read this!

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Uh, also try DECREASING your log level. I just got FG 2.0 to run on my win7 64 system by doing that :oops:
(it still takes 2-3 minutes to load but at least it DOESN'T LAG :roll:
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 pm

ALL those Win7 problem reports are rumours to me: never had a single problem getting FG to work on Win7 myself, tried it several times on completely new PCs.

I really wonder how many of the people having issues with FG+Win7 are experienced FG users?
Maybe all their problems are related to configuring FG and not due to Win7?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Johan G » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Hooray wrote:ALL those Win7 problem reports are rumours to me: never had a single problem getting FG to work on Win7 myself...

Same here. No problems this far. :D

I will probably have to read in on that proxy thing for getting METAR if I start flying in multiplayer though. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Quadunit404 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:44 am

I had issues with the installer crashing on Windows 7 x86. Haven't tried Windows 7 x64 though because I'm putting FlightGear Git on this thing.
Quadunit404

Postby Jorgos9 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 pm

I Will make an new installer using Installshield 2010. (User Licnese 2+)..
Specially for Windows 7.

But first i must discus it with Curt ;)
This is my Signature:

Hello!
Jorgos9

Callsign: GT9

Postby Quadunit404 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 am

Well of course you must discuss it with Curt :wink:
Quadunit404

Postby SkyWlf77 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:40 am

FG has failed for me on Win7 5 times now:

1) Tried latest GIT Snapshot. Failed with error message "Failed to open files in File".

2) Tried an earlier GIT Snapshot. Same error.

3) Tried 2.0.0 x64. Got a constant "Updating Time" loop and then I had to use the Task Manager to force it closed when Win7 told me the program was no longer responding and must be shut down.

4) Tried 2.0.0 x32. Same loop - same problem.

5) Tried 2.0.0 x32 in WinXP Compatibility Mode. Completely failed to boot at all. Didn't even get far enough to get an error message in the console.

I gave up and am now flying using X-Plane. Sad that it's this complicated. X-Plane, MS FS2004 and FSX all loaded and booted right out of the gate.

By the way, all tests above were done with only the default aircraft and scenery installed. All settings were set correctly to the best of my knowledge (I've reinstalled 1.9.1 about 7 times on my old machine, so I'm pretty used to the setup portion of it unless something drastic has changed recently).

I'll give it a try with your recommendations, Quadunit, but I don't hold out a lot of hope at this point. It really shouldn't be this difficult - many new users aren't going to go through these hassles to make it work like the veterans will.

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby SkyWlf77 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:17 pm

I know it's an old thread, but I wanted to update my above posting:

I now have 2.0.0 functioning on my Win7 installation. Turns out there is a hidden folder that was the cause of the problems with 2.0.0. It can be found under:

C:\Users\<Your Name Here>\appdata\Roaming\flightgear (appdata is the hidden folder)

This folder maintains all of your settings during installation and setup including any settings you change in the FlightGear Wizard (or using command line). When you uninstall FlightGear, this folder does not get uninstalled or emptied out. Therefore, unless you delete this folder manually, all the settings you had before will remain when you reinstall FG.

In my case, this turned out to be a major issue since I uninstalled GIT (but did not delete this folder), but reinstalled 2.0.0. Therefore, 2.0.0 was trying to run with GIT settings causing all of the errors that I was receiving and FG's failure to load.

GIT still does not work for me, but 2.0.0 is performing flawlessly now including the 64-bit overlay :D

Thanks!
Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby brooksby1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I have tried to install and run flight gear and it did the first few times, but I could not add new areas. I finally got the terrasync to work and then the instrument screens quit working. I down loaded a comanche 250 file and a cherokee file and finally got them to show up on the screen, but now it fails to load. It keeps giving the message "unknown exception in the main loop aborting. Possible cause not enough space. I have tried it with several different airports selected and different airplanes, but still the message.

I uninstalled the program and also deleted the files in the roaming folder. I redownloaded the program and reinstalled and still have the same problems. My next option may be to not only uninstall the program, but also delete the files in the program files directory.

I am using a Toshiba a665-s6100x i-7 laptop with 6 gig of ram running windows 7 home premium 32 bit. It has the intel HD 3000 video driver with opengl enabled. Here is the command line parameters portion of the loader. Help! I agree if it is this hard to install and make work it may not be worth the effort, but I am a glutton for punishment and I like to solve problems.

C:\Program Files\FlightGear\bin\Win32\fgfs.exe
--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data
--fg-scenery=C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Scenery;C:\Program Files\FlightGear\scenery;C:\Program Files\FlightGear\terrasync
--airport=0Q0
--aircraft=777-200ER
--disable-random-objects
--disable-ai-models
--atlas=socket,out,5,localhost,5505,udp
brooksby1

Postby Gijs » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:52 pm

I assume you instealled FlightGear 2.0.0? Could you try a snapshot of the upcoming FlightGear release instead?
viewtopic.php?p=129324#p129324
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby flug » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:56 pm

FYI, I had just this same problem while installing FG 2.4.0 under WinXP--it would just hang up while creating the directory under Program Files and never complete.

When I changed the install directory to c:/FlightGear it installed no problem.
flug

Postby Soitanen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:55 am

Good day!

I have problem with saving preferences (such as rendering settings etc) with my Windiws 7 because of Russian version of Windows. FG tries to save settings in C:/Users/user_name/... but i haven't directory Users, I have russian equivalent directory C://....(forum don't allow me to post cyrillic symbols, so directory named with cyrillic) Is the path to Users directory hard-coded into FG, or there is some ways to change this?
Soitanen

Version: git

Postby Harald » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:30 am

Hi,

the path is not hardcoded, on windoze we use the APPDATA environment variable. It's strange that this variable is not set correctly.
You could change it in a dos box.

Code: Select all
SET APPDATA=.....
fgrun.exe

HJ.
Harald

Version: nightly

Postby Soitanen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Now I get error mesage:
Code: Select all
fgfs: Can't determine the user's config path
Failed to initialize built-in SVN client, error = 1

But saving preferences is working now! Thank you!
Boeing 737-300. Reworked cockpit, FDM, autopilot and much more. WIP.
Boeing 737-800. WIP. Canvas PFD and ND.
Antonov An-24B. Made from scratch. Very good FDM. 3D model by Adrian. WIP.
Project Russia (some cities, based on OSM with custom objects).
Soitanen

Version: git

Next

Return to Windows