Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Flightgear folder in disk different from installation one.  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Flightgear folder in disk different from installation one.

Postby g_don.24 » Sat May 15, 2021 1:09 pm

I've installed FG on a disk (D:\Programmi HDD\FlightGear 2020.3.) that is different from one in which I've the OS.
The OS instead is within the disk C.
When I run a FG simulation the program automatically creates a folder in this path: C:\Users\peppe\FlightGear.
I want to avoid to have a folder in disk C but I want that everything is in the FG installation folder in the disk D.
How can i fix this issue?
g_don.24

Re: Flightgear folder in disk different from installation on

Postby Hooray » Sat May 15, 2021 1:22 pm

That's the so called $FG_HOME directory, for details see: https://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME

(while that's probably hard-coded currently, making that configurable isn't such a bad idea for self-contained drives, e.g. USB flash drives or other bootable media)

To file feature requests, see: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ludomotico » Sat May 15, 2021 2:54 pm

You can define the environment variable FG_HOME to fit your needs: Windows system preferences -> search "environment variables" -> add "FG_HOME" with a value "D:\FlightGearHome". Do not use the same directory than the installation directory, do not use spaces just in case.

Source code where this is defined: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fl ... t.cxx#l466 The default value is a few lines about this one. For windows: SGPath::fromEnv("APPDATA") / "flightgear.org"

EDIT: oh, sorry: "C:\Users\youruser\FlitghGear" is not FG_HOME. You can find FG_HOME in "C:\Users\youruser\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org", which is by default a hidden directory in Windows. FG_HOME is used for configuration and caches.

"C:\Users\youruser\FlitghGear" is the default directory for automatic downloads and your custom scenery and aircraft.

- You can change the downloads directory in the launcher: "settings -> downloads". This works for automatic scenery and aircraft.
- I'm not sure if you can prevent the creation of "C:\Users\youruser\FlitghGear\Custom scenery", but this directory is intended to be used manually. If you don't use that directory for your custom scenery, it will be always empty. The same goes for "custom aircraft"
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Hooray » Sat May 15, 2021 3:07 pm

the installer is a different beast, so whatever you can via fgfs is a separate matter - the installer will almost certainly try to set up a default directory structure
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby g_don.24 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:15 pm

Thanks to everyone for your answers!
g_don.24

Return to Windows