Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Setup won't run/"access denied" on Win10? Try this:

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Setup won't run/"access denied" on Win10? Try this:

Postby Quork » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:32 am

Hi! After a break of about 15 years I decided I'd take a look again and see what has happened in FG. However, I couldn't even get to install it. In my desperation I've tried all available setup files (current stable, 2020.something and nightly build); I've tried running them with antivirus deactivated (though I doubt that's of any relevance, as it has scanned the installation files and given them a clean bill), tried running as administrator, tried running in compatibility mode... When running it from command line, "access denied" appears after several seconds. Finally I found the problem, and it's so incredibly stupid: Windows is blocking the file because it's downloaded - but it's behaving not the same way as usual. Usually you get a warning when trying to start such a file, if anything. In the case of FlightGear however, it doesn't do this, for whatever reason. But when you right click on it and open its properties, you'll find something along the lines of "this file is from the internet and might be dangerous" and a check box with something along the lines of "allow". Set the mark and apply, then the aforementioned text, the box and the problem disappear.

Maybe this could be added as a tip/troubleshooting information on the download page and/or on the troubleshooting page in the Wiki?
Quork

Return to Windows