Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Installed 2019.1.1 Crashes a lot. (Abend! not faceplant)

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Installed 2019.1.1 Crashes a lot. (Abend! not faceplant)

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:50 pm

I installed the free download and it seems to run, but crashes a lot. Loads slow. I'm sure its something wrong with my installation of the software but I have no idea what. I have ordered a Flight Gear software CD package and it is on the way but I'm working with the download until it gets here. Let me know if I should just wait or if its worth trying to get this version running. I am learning a lot about Flight Gear configuration etc. in the mean time. I have a CH yoke and pedals as well.

Device specifications
ideapad 320-15ABR
Processor AMD A12-9720P Radeon R7, 12 COMPUTE
CORES 4C+8G 2.70 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.39 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows specifications
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 1903
OS build 18362.535

Oh! The default airport is Honolulu and I can't figure out where I am to taxi out on taxiway "Charlie"!! Is there some way to find out where I am on the tarmac??
Bob.Crifasi

Callsign: KC2RFC
Version: 2019.1.1

Re: Installed 2019.1.1 Crashes a lot. (Abend! not faceplant)

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:49 pm

I've been reading other posts and I think I may have goofed. I ordered the "Flight Gear 2020 Deluxe" package on Ebay thinking it was still part of this project, and just another method of getting it to the user. Did I make a mistake in doing so? I didn't pay much so no great loss there if I did goof. The support you provide here is much more important to me.
"Inveniam viam aut faciam"
Bob.Crifasi

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 pm

If it's the one that I saw at that price it's very reasonable and not a scam; as opposed to people that repackage old versions from pre-2010 and sell them for more than $80. However the funds do not go to FlightGear and also we have no guarantee whether it has been modified in any way.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback Lego. Like I said the support is very important to me. Any idea about the other problems I'm having? I'll be more specific if you can tell me what to look for. The crashes seem to be random.
Bob.Crifasi

Postby enrogue » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:01 am

Right - we'll try & bring the crash issues back here (I missed this thread sorry)

For finding out where you are on the tarmac - it might be better to select the location tab in the launcher & select a parking spot in the airport there, so you know where you are, otherwise you can select an exterior view (hit v to cycle through views), and look around - right click & drag with mouse should slew the views around.

As for the crashes, there *should* be a crash report come up the next time you launch - I haven't looked at the windows crash reporter in a while so I'm having issues remembering what it presents (I don't normally use windows for flightgear but I have an old laptop for testing the windows builds)

random crashes are *most likely* a graphics driver issue - unfortunately it seems to be more common with AMD drivers

I would start with 2018.3.4
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Enrogue, Thanks, that's what occurred to me after understanding yours and other posts regarding the release versions. Maybe sometime in the future I'll get more adventurous and try to help out by beta testing later release versions. Right now I need to find a stable build that runs well so I can learn and enjoy what you guys have worked so hard to develop. No problem there. I'll un-install what I currently have, fall back to 2018.3.4, and install that. Sounds like a plan. Thanks again.

PS I've been tinkering with the "views" when I was able get it running. That was the only option I could figure out. I thought there might be other ways to get an overview of the airport. I finally decided to look outside of the box. Tada! The "real world" (internet) has maps of airports! I'm not a pilot so it didn't occur to me right off the bat. I had no idea we could pick a starting location. I'll try to check that out when I'm up and running again.

Thanks again for the tips.
Bob.Crifasi

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:59 pm

OK, I uninstalled 2019.1.1 and installed 2018.3.4. This does seem more stable. I'm still experiencing some glitches. On the walk around standing under the left wing I was instructed to check that the baggage compartment was closed and locked. The left wing was blocking my view. When I tried to adjust the view, "poof", abend. Restart and work my way back to the same point in the procedure and it seemed to gloss over the check. Though the compartment was visible this time.

I also realized I was working from the wrong airport map. Its always easier to find where you need to go when you have some idea of where you are starting from! Taxing seems very touchy, but I have no frame of reference, of either other simulations or the real thing. I finally found the correct runway via the correct taxiways. I'm still going down the runway too slow as I learn to control the rolling plane. I know I'm going too slow because I'm stalling and crashing as soon as I leave the ground. Do I need flaps on take off? :roll: :oops:

I also just noticed the screen that comes up at the start of the program indicates my location is Honolulu International (PHNL) The map that seems to corollate to the situation in the sim is Hilo International (PHTO). Hence I was working from the wrong map originally. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I just realized the mistake MAY :oops: be mine there is a choice between the two which I had not seen before.

I have a CH yoke and pedals. The mixture control works in the testing in " Joystick Configuration" but not in the running sim.

Enrogue, you and others have mentioned I may be having driver problems due to the AMD graphics. Is there anything I can check and/or correct?
Bob.Crifasi

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:35 am

do you have the latest drivers installed for your AMD GPU?

which craft are you trying to fly? some do not have mixture and that control may do something else...

some craft may need flaps on takeoff but you can just make sure you are above takeoff speed when you lift, too... then don't climb too fast... if you're using the c172p, no more than 700 feet per minute climb rate, IIRC... i forget as i always use the AP when i fly that one... once off the ground, my first thing is to turn on the AP and get wings level... then i adjust my climb setting in the AP... need to ensure the heading bug is pointing the proper way, too...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:32 pm

This is great! I updated the AMD driver. The FGFS 2018.3.4 release seems to be running a LOT more stable for me. My only complaint is the CH yoke mixture control works in configuration testing but not in the running sim. A very minor problem.

I think I need to open up the yoke and check the lubrication on the main shaft. It seems to hang up a bit.

As far as flying skills, I suck! I'm going to need lots of practice. I know I made the right decision, years ago, not to do this in the real world. I did own and fly a paraplane though. But that was nowhere as complex and demanding as this (Cessna 172P) is. At least for me. However stressful it may get, its still fun having no real consequences when you crash.

Thanks to all that helped me get the program up and running. The abends seem under control. Now I need to work on the faceplants! From here I guess its just practice, practice, practice.
Bob.Crifasi

Postby enrogue » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:01 pm

I was going to put in here the driver location for your APU:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd- ... -9720p-apu

but I guess you found it :)
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:12 pm

I think I found the right one. I just followed the directions on the AMD website. It seemed to work OK.
Thanks again for your help. I'll still be around the forum asking newbie questions about flying! :D
Bob.Crifasi

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:27 pm

i'm glad my suggestion worked for you... made my christmas better ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Well we hardly know each other and you gave me a working flight simulator. Thank you. Its usually me that plays Santa! Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Bob.Crifasi

Postby Michat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:16 am

Hi there and Merry Christmas.

CH yoke has been detected by FG,. For the mixture lever you may need to edit some assignation (axis) number to your joystick.xml file that FG is using to control your model by default. However I don't recommend you to assign a lever to a mixture function, neither to the prop pitch, because if by mistake you touch it a little, just because is so close to the throttle lever, you'll enter into panic situations, like engine pan or engine failed .

For accurate and precise tuning I recommend you the using of the keyboard Mixture = Shift M, or just m, for propeller pitch if I recall correctly is P shift but not sure at all.

I own a CH Eclipse yoke, in case you have the CH standard yoke that provides less number of buttons then I'll recommend you to edit the code of the joystick.xml detected by FG.
The trick is to make button economy. So, on a certain case I have assigned breaking system (differential brakes, left and right) to the same button that in commands landing gear down. In such way we are able to use landing gear down before landing and brakes once on the track, with only one button.

Sure, you'll need the the use of flaps for take off and landings. Not at full position, that can crash you. Just follow the medium position rule for take off, and the medium position +1 for landing.
If flying a propeller, once on the flaps setting profile, you'll notice better start rolling, less drag (less engine needed) and better drive for take off.
If you are on a landing profile Medium +1, then you'll find better control on the speed, so your aircraft will need such +1 position in order to reduce the dive speed and potential energy. If propeller, the speed is control on flaps profile set with throttle engine corrections.

If airliners, flaps profile will depend (or not*) on aircraft handling operations book. Where Weight- speed- flaps profile. is needed. To be notice that there is no such speed correction by throttle, speed must be constant, but the correction is made by pilot stick column. Instead of adjusting throttle that implicates lag, projection. Over pitching, stacking and ballooning are result of that.

* (or not) Because In many old aircraft, like 727, full flaps will follow a crash,. Use medium +1 rule and check if your engine is doing okay to maintain the safe approach speed with good pitch angle, at normal descend rate.

However using autopilot alt and speed on low level flight in combination with the HUD will give you a good reference ( before attempting the approach) in order to know what are you flying and what other fine tuning your aircraft needs to satisfy best performance with control.

http://mpmap02.flightgear.org/v3/ is a good place to watch where are you flying in.

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Bob.Crifasi » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:20 am

Michat, thank you. I understand the wisdom of control placement and considering possible panic situations. However I have no intentions of ever piloting a plane in the real world so learning bad habits has no impact here. As for the flaps I defenatly need to learn good application of the flaps in my sim flying. I will keep your comments in mind as I progress.
Bob.Crifasi

Return to Windows