Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Can't get past Scenery Loading  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Can't get past Scenery Loading

Postby BJW » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:17 am

Windows 10 - Toshiba Qosmio X875 - 64 bit - Intel i7 - 16GB Ram - Nvidia GTX 620M
FlightGear 2017.3.1 Downloaded from /Flightgear.org

I’m a total newbee to flight sims, and cannot run this programme. When I originally installed the programme it worked for a few days. Being new I started with the tutorials. Managed a couple OK although the plane appeared to be standing in water. Was using a mouse which I now realise is impossible so will use a joy stick in future, if I ever get FlightGear working properly again. Then getting into the scenery side of things attempted to download scenery etc, not very successfully though. After reading comments now will use Portree-Kids site for this. Anyway next time I used the programme went back into tutorials and now find scenery is downloading for hours and getting nowhere.
I uninstalled the programme, reinstalled it but same story. This time I don’t change anything just try to run the first tutorial using all the default settings. I presume the default scenery Prague and airplane Cessna are already loaded into the programme itself and that I’m not trying to download these from the internet. This would be impossible for me on a very slow internet speed and also a metred one.
When I reinstalled the programme I just used the previously downloaded Flightgear.exe, I’ve read as much as I can to see if I can work out what’s wrong, how one day it works and the next not, or why the reinstalled copy doesn’t work now either. Any advice please or any more information needed? As mentioned before I’m new to flight sims and not too technical, so would FlightGear be beyond me I wonder.
BJW

Version: 2017.3.1

Re: Can't get past Scenery Loading

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:14 pm

As mentioned before I’m new to flight sims and not too technical, so would FlightGear be beyond me I wonder.

Well, the base install shouldn't be, but in it's current state it might be.
This would be impossible for me on a very slow internet speed and also a metred one.

That was probably your problem from the start. The scenery portion of Flight Gear is the weakest link in my opinion. I'm talking about getting it. I have been using FlightGear for years and know a few things about it and yet I still have many issues with terrasync (that is the automatic scenery fetcher) which I can't identify the cause.
Portree-Kids java program barely runs on my Linux distro for some reason. Usually when I first install a "fresh" new installation the scenery down loader just works. But you have to make sure if you reinstall you delete all the old remnants from the previous install.
In windows those remnants are normally located at C:\\Users\Wayne\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\ before reinstalling delete that folder.

First, if you can't download the scenery you can buy a world disk from the FlightGear store.

The problem with the tutorials is that the project changes airports every version but there aren't enough volunteers to change the tutorials every issue to reflect the new scenery so they take you to airports that don't exist by default. That would be OK if you have a fast connection and it simply downloads that airport and scenery. But you don't.
Just what kind of speed are you talking about? Even in hours I would think it could download the chunk your missing.

I maybe would try reinstalling again after deleting the hidden folder. Then start up FlightGear and make sure it starts and that you have scenery for the default location. Then if you want to run the tutorial you need to make sure the automatic scenery download is on which by default I think it is? Then when you switch to the tutorial it should just download it. If it takes forever but looks like it is trying then I would have to say it is your Internet connection that is faulty and you will have to buy the scenery or get a friend to download it for you.

I will bring up this issue with the tutorials to the developers as it appears to be a continuing problem for those that don't have a faster Internet connection I see it brought up here more and more often.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: Can't get past Scenery Loading  

Postby BJW » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:08 am

First of all thank you wlbragg for your prompt reply, wasn’t sure if I would get any reply at all with such a basic problem. Yes I felt after removing the program that they may be some hidden files still hanging around, thanks for pointing out their location. After removing FG I did a search and found two other folders with data in them in my Docs folder and also a folder in My Programs so deleted them too.
Speed around 1.25 Mbps, is that slow to you? Yesterday left Scenery Loading for six hours then I gave up and turned it off, but I don’t think the program was working properly then.
So now I’m back to square one again and programme working OK. As I have only managed so far to get off the ground and then immediately crash (I have a big learning curve ahead of me) I won’t need more scenery just yet but when I do where is the best place for me to download it from?
It’s a shame there is not a specific Youtube channel for FG tutorials, but as you said not enough volunteers.
Once again thanks for your help.
BJW

Version: 2017.3.1

Return to Windows