Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Unable to open navigation cache...

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Unable to open navigation cache...

Postby eddgbc » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:16 am

Version 2017 that I ran from the link you sent me did not load properly.
Here is the error that came up on the screen which then forced a close of the program.
"Unable to open navigation cache... the navigation data cache could not be opened..navcache failed to open..unable to open database file"

I still have version 2016 loaded.. do i have to remove this first?
Also, i did deactivate my antivirus during the install

Thanks much
eddgbc

Re: Unable to open navigation cache...

Postby Johan G » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:59 pm

First off do not delete the navcache just yet. The developer who is trying to fix this, zakalawe, will most probably want to take a look at it to try see what causes the problem.

You do not need to remove FlightGear and reinstall it, you only need to move away or rename the navcache itself. See the FlightGear wiki article Navdata cache (perm) for how to find it. The cache will be rebuilt the next time you start FlightGear (it may take several minutes, depending on how much scenery you have installed).

The navcache (navigation data cache) is a cache parsed from various data files to help FlightGear start up faster. In essence it is a database with all the airports, navigation aids and fixes in the installed scenery. For some (obviously unknown) reason it tend to get corrupted on Windows.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:07 pm

disabling your AV software isn't necessarily (and may leave you unprotected during the installation), but may help speed-up the installation process itself.
If in doubt, you can pre-scan the installer and then disable your AV software during the process.
However, if you have previously run the same installer, that would not make any difference - no matter if keep it enabled or not, the same binary/code will be executed.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby bugman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Note that the navigation cache might not be the issue but an old fgfs.pid file in the same directory.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Actually, the navcache having a long-standing tendency to get corruped on Windows every so often should be unrelated to the recent fgfs.pid thesis - hopefully, I am wrong though, and this long-standing bug is identified, understood and fixed once and for all, which would help drastically reduce the workload resulting from providing end-user support on the forum.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby bugman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Well, we have had some of the supposedly corrupted navdata_*.cache SQL databases tested and these validate fine. So maybe the reason the problem is so difficult to solve is because the error message does not correspond to the real problem.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:00 pm

like I said, for this community (and the support forum), this would be best news since the invention of sliced bread (or rather, since the introduction of the navcache).
If I am not wrong however, the pid handling heuristics were added well after the navcache (you'd need to check the git logs to see if that is actually accurate, because I don't have access to a sg/fg build environment currently and don't quite remember the details).

But maybe the good news is that the heuristics checking SQLite/PID sanity contain a bug that is simple enough to fix?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby commsbiff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:16 pm

I have the same problem.

*** Fresh install 2017.1.1
*** Windows 10
*** NVidia Geforce 820M (Lenovo ideapad S510p)
*** Antivirus - Kaspersky Total Security 2017

As soon as I try to run the program (from the desktop shortcut created by the installation process) I get the same message as the OP. When I click OK, I get the Error Report window which allows me to send the report. That is as far as I get.

*** Brief History

I have been running 2016.4.4 for months without problems. Today, I tried to edit my joystick configuration from within the app (something I have done before without problem) but the reassignment didn't complete and my joystick became unresponsive. I dis/reconnected it getting the windows sounds for connecting a device but it still didn't respond.

After restarting flightgear I could select aircraft / location but flightgear crashed on loading giving an error (I can't remember exact words) about trying to write to navcache, which I have researched is a known issue. After a couple of reinstalls - no luck. At this point I couldn't find the required AppData folder required from other topics. I did find Users/user/Documents/FlightGear but there is no navcache inside here. I have shown hidden files and searched for 'nav' with zero results.

After this I uninstalled 2016.4.4, downloaded 2017.1.1 and installed it. Now I am stuck.

I found Users/user/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org and renamed 'navdata_3_4.cache' and 'navdata_2016_4.cache'. That didn't have any effect.

I still cannot find anything relating to navcache, navdata etc in the Users/user/Documents/FlightGear

I hope this gives you some more information to work with.

Kind regards,

Commsbiff
commsbiff

Postby commsbiff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Ah - I missed the other thread on the same topic. Sorry about that.

Renaming Users/user/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org got me past the hurdle.

Thanks for a great forum.

Commsbiff.
commsbiff

Postby bugman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Was there a fgfs.pid file in the flightgear.org folder?

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby commsbiff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Yes, and when opened in notepad, it simply reads '11024'.

Commsbiff.
commsbiff

Postby bugman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Could you run a simple test? Move your new flightgear.org folder for a backup, copy your old backed-up folder to flightgear.org, delete fgfs.pid, and see if FlightGear starts without the navigation cache error message?

Cheers,
Edward

Edit: I.e. restore the old directory that doesn't work, as a copy.
bugman

Postby commsbiff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 pm

I tried your test and can confirm that it works.

Commsbiff.
commsbiff

Postby bugman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Could you please try one more test? Copy the fgfs.pid file in your backup to the flightgear.org folder and see if you see the navigation cache error.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby commsbiff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 pm

OK I think you're asking me to copy fgfs.pid from the folder that was created after the first renaming, into the folder that was the problem in the first place and is now in use for these tests.

There is no fgfs.pid file there to copy.
commsbiff

Next

Return to Windows