Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Installed scenery not loading

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Installed scenery not loading

Postby ajp4664 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:43 am

Greetings,

I've downloaded the world scenery for the entire US and installed via fgadmin. Then added the Custom Scenery location to the additional scenery locations. Unfortunately I cannot get it to load. My airplane is loaded over water where an airport should be.

Any suggestions on how to debug?

Thank you.
ajp4664

Re: Installed scenery not loading

Postby elgaton » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Try deleting the Navdata cache in $FG_HOME/navdata_x_y.cache.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby ajp4664 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 am

Thanks for the reply. How do I delete the cache? I couldn't find a file with that name in the directory.

I couldn't find a way to launch a command window to assist with debugging. --console doesn't work with the new launcher.
ajp4664

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:34 am

what OS are you running? depending on your OS as to where your FGHOME is and how to find it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ajp4664 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am

Windows 10
ajp4664

Postby Johan G » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:26 am

elgaton wrote in Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:22 pm:Try deleting the Navdata cache in $FG_HOME/navdata_x_y.cache.

ajp4664 wrote in Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 am:How do I delete the cache? I couldn't find a file with that name in the directory.

x andy are just place holders for the FlightGear version. Look for "navdata*.cache" ;)

For details on the navcache see the FlightGear wiki article Navdata cache (perm).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby ajp4664 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:38 am

Thanks for the tip. I deleted the navdata cache files but still couldn't get the airport to load. Is there a way to run console window as debugger to help find the problem?
ajp4664

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:19 am

since you are on win10, just open a cmd prompt... then use the properties of the icon you click as the base for your command line you type in to run fgfs...

eg off the top of my head:
"c:\program files\flightgear\fgfs" --launcher

i don't have a clue what directory fgfs gets installed to in winwhatever so the above is a pure eWAG... if it works, it will start fgfs using the new internal launcher... since you are running it from a cmd window, there's no need for --console... the above likely leaves out a lot of options you are used to seeing but for now, it is a place to start... if you can find your fgfs.log file and paste it to pastebin, we can gather your other options and possibly see why your scenery is not loading...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Johan G » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:18 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:19 am:[...] since you are running it from a cmd window, there's no need for --console... [...]

At least on older versions (I am running 3.0) that is unfortunately not so on Windows. If I launch FlightGear from a command prompt I only get the FlightGear window and no error, debug or whatever stream in that command prompt window. I have to use --console to get an extra window with that output (and that window unfortunately closes as soon as FlightGear crashes, if it does).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:47 pm

OH, in that case, then add --console to the above command line and keep your fingers crossed :)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby rominet » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:25 pm

FFGo captures FlightGear's stdout and stderr output and displays them in realtime in a dedicated window. Also, the automatically-rotated FFGo log file saves this output along with the precise command line arguments that were passed to FG (plus the FG exit status or killing signal, if any). So, this may be useful in such a case.

Edit:
  • make wording more accurate;
  • of course, as wkitty42 said, the info can probably be found (without any particular launcher) in the fgfs log file in $FG_HOME.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Return to Windows