Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

W10: get message "SQlite error..." when Run

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

W10: get message "SQlite error..." when Run

Postby Schoenberg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi group:

I recently re-installed FG 3.4, now on my W10 machine. It installed fine, but when I hit run, I get the following message: " Sqlite error: attempt to write a readonly database. Received from DELETE FROM groundnet_edge "

What can I do?
Schoenberg

Re: W10: get message "SQlite error..." when Run

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:57 pm

Go to C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Appdata/roaming/flightgear.org and delete it. Then re-install.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Schoenberg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Delete that file, the REINSTALL THE WHOLE PROGRAMME? tHANKS mIG29 ..
Schoenberg

Postby Schoenberg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:14 pm

I can find no such file in Default.migrated, which is the only file that has appdata. There is a file in there that says Microsoft, and this is empty.
Schoenberg

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:31 pm

Schoenberg wrote in Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:06 pm:Delete that file, the REINSTALL THE WHOLE PROGRAMME? tHANKS mIG29 ..

no... just delete the navadata cache file... then just start the sim and it will be recreated... no reinstall necessary...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:34 pm

Schoenberg wrote in Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:14 pm:I can find no such file in Default.migrated, which is the only file that has appdata. There is a file in there that says Microsoft, and this is empty.

why are you looking in default.migrated? where does w10 store each user's private directory? oh, and appdata is generally hidden so you have to change the setting to show hidden file and directories...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Yes, go into file explorer/view/ and check "show hidden items"
Sorry about reinstall info :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby hamzaalloush » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:11 pm

@wkitty, w10 is same as before, basically same $FG_HOME location from Vista and above...

http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME#Windows

wiki is down right now
hamzaalloush

Postby Hooray » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:42 pm

anybody seeing SQLite related errors, please file a proper bug report at the issue tracker: http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/cod ... rce=navbar

Note that this has been one of the most common causes for segfaults/crashes during startup, and that we've literally seen dozens of bug reports on the forum/tracker - but we really need more people to provide information and to post follow-ups in response to questions that we ask: http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/cod ... /?q=sqlite
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby hamzaalloush » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:02 pm

when i first started back in FG 2.12, this bug hit me also, i would have turned away from the sim if i wasn't so stubborn.
hamzaalloush

Postby Hooray » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:29 pm

yeah, according to the number of bug reports we've been seeing over the last couple of years, the navcache is definitely crippling the FG experience for many people, especially those entirely new to FG and not very familiar with FG/computers, i.e. who may not easily be able to just delete/re-create their navdb.

However, it is generally a fairly useful feature - it is just unfortunate that its addition got announced way after the fact, and that it received so little testing - which is to say, the only sane option is to keep it, and to look for ways to improve/harden it - even if that just means to try/catch and rebuild the db automatically until the underlying reasons are identified, and understood/fixed - as per Zakalawe's original comments:

Subject: NavCache:init failed:Sqlite error:Sqlite API abuse
zakalawe wrote:Not a property, but a command line argument can certainly be done. However, in these kind of error scenarios, a rebuild is supposed to be triggered anyway. Oh well. I'll add a --rebuild-caches option and it can drop the aircraft and terrasync caches too.

In the meantime, what is really needed are more/better bug reports, and people willing to test/tinker in response to the questions we ask - e.g. by using a minimal subset of FG and trying to come up with ways to RELIABLY trigger this (aka corrupt the navcache) - so that we can review/harden the underlying code in FG.

If in doubt, please back up your $FG_HOME folder (or just the navcache) and then rename/delete it, so that it will be recreated - and try to corrupt it by either terminating FG improperly, or by using multiple instances.

Once you have found something that works, in the sense of breaking the navcache, please DO file a proper bug report.

(I do think that the SQLite APIs provide a way to detect a corrupt DB, so this could/should be used to automatically rebuild the DB)

Another workaround might be keeping a backup of the old DB whenever the the DB is rebuilt, and only drop that if the new DB is NOT corrupt.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:09 pm

hamzaalloush wrote in Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:11 pm:@wkitty, w10 is same as before, basically same $FG_HOME location from Vista and above...

that's what i thought... thanks for the confirmation! :)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Schoenberg » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:35 pm

thanks for the help: What I did was, activate the hidden files (THANKS for reminding me about that), then found "fltk" and the other file and just eliminated both. And reinstalled FG. It was easier that way as I could not actually tell which "nav" file to eliminate. Now all is working, including Terrasync (I went from SFO to CYVR in the cessna citation) and the terrain appeared just fine.
Schoenberg

Return to Windows