Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Airplane is in FG root, can't see in flightgear wizard

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Airplane is in FG root, can't see in flightgear wizard

Postby tyrelnech » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:46 am

I recently downloaded a 767 off of this forum, and I unzipped it and dragged it to "My Documents/Flightgear/Aircraft". I then opened the Flightgear wizard and it wasn't there. I had another 767 downloaded too, but the new 767 I renamed the folder with a slight modification to differentiate them.
tyrelnech

Re: Airplane is in FG root, can't see in flightgear wizard

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:12 am

Is it the pegasus? If not, also rename the old one and put the new one back to what it was. See if that fixes it
Custom Venezuela Scenery
Programmer at the it0uchpods Design Group
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby tyrelnech » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:19 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:12 am:Is it the pegasus? If not, also rename the old one and put the new one back to what it was. See if that fixes it

I don't think it was the pegasus, it was the topic in the post "767 Update" under Aircraft. I also tried doing that and it did not work :(
tyrelnech

Postby clrCoda » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 am

Contrary to common belief, having just renamed a planes folder in an Aircraft folder is not nearly enough to obcure the aircraft from launchers. It is necessary to take a different action. Some people zip in place and delete the one with the original name... some move the older plane to the desktop temporarily... at any rate, one must do something to obscure the plane from the launcher wizard.

One of the problems is that the launcher wizard cares not what the aircrafts folder name is. The launcher wizard is looking through every folder and subfolder in Aircraft for files that end in 'set.xml'

You could rename and take out the 'set.xml' part of a file, and doing so if you also rename the folder, then the new plane with the same named -set.xml won't look in the wrong folder for the things it needs.

Best of luck :)
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby clrCoda » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:19 am

Hi tyrelnech,

If, like you said, you got the plane by searching "767 update" and you found this link:

http://www.thejabberwocky.net/downloads/767.zip

If this link is not where you found the plane you can stop here and the rest will mean nothing and be of no help.

Otherwise...
...then you have the Jabberwocky version. He has a file in the folder called Pegasus-set.xml. That would be the main file in the folder, the one that ties everything together and so it is the file that launchers look for when looking for aircraft files to list in the wizard launcher so that you can select them.

Jabberwocky is currently aware of a problem in some of his set.xml files.
Over the weekend, I discovered a work-around to get his planes with this problem to load in the launcher.

First, navigate to your Aircraft folder and open the 767 folder and then open the Pegasus-set.xml in a text editor.

Second, Comment out the "include" , that is, make the PropertyList tag look like this:

<PropertyList> <!-- include="Aircraft/JPack/Interface.xml" -->

Save the file, but don't close the text editor yet, we are going to make another change to the file after you...

...Third, start your launcher/wizard and see if the plane shows up in the launcher/wizard list of aircraft. It should show up as the plane KC-46 Pegasus. ( I know the folder is 767 but the KC-46 is the military version of the 767 and jabberwocky has not changed the name of the folder yet )

If it does show in the launcher, then select the plane, but before you RUN, do this:

Fourth, go back to the file Pegasus-set.xml in your text editor and make the properly list tag look like the original again, like this:

<PropertyList include="Aircraft/JPack/Interface.xml" >

Fifth, now save the Pegasus-set.xml file again, but this time you can close the text editor.

Sixth, start the simulator/hit RUN.

That's the only thing I know that will work until one of two things happen.

1) Jabberwocky figures out what in his JPack causes this

OR

2) Someone discovers that there is a problem in all the the launchers reading a PropertyList Include tag.

-- Best of luck
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby tyrelnech » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi. Yes this is the file I downloaded! However, I do not see a Pegasus-set.xml file, but I do see a Workshop-set.xml file and a 767-300JWocky.xml file. Should the changes be in either one of those files. Thanks!
Last edited by Johan G on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please
tyrelnech

Postby clrCoda » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Okay, yes. I see. I have downloaded from that link just now and I notice I too have a different version of the plane. What can I say. Jabberwocky works constantly :)

This is a Jabberwocky plane, and the instructions I gave above will work with any Jabberwocky plane. In this case, you are correct, you want to open workshop-set.xml and then follow the directions as above.

I know it is a bit of a nuisance doing this, but I'm sure Jabberwocky will not allow this situation to persist. He is constantly tinkering with his planes, and since this effects all his planes using his JPack, he or some other helpful person will figure this out and we won't have to do this anymore.

Best of luck!
--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:53 pm

I've had a similar problem with the TU-95MR. Improperly formed -set.xml file?
Have you tried launching from the command line?
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 3.7nightly

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:53 pm

@Tyrelnech

The 767 on the "Jabberwocky" website does not have the Pegasus yet.

If you want to try the latest work by Jabberwocky on this aircraft, you should attempt at downloading from FGMEMBERS instead
(FGMEMBERS hosts the latest updates, the webpage is a frozen past status)

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/767

Then, after you download (see download zip down right), you will see the Pegasus.
You will need to rename the folder after unzipping. Example

Code: Select all
rename 767-master, to 767

As far as I know, the problem you describe is still present, thou.

Best,
IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:36 pm

I didn't come around to update my website for a while. However, IAHM-COL makes sure, that all the latest changes of my repositories go also to FGMEMBERS.

The thing with the launcher seems to be connected with a launcher bug that prevents airplanes to be shown that use an minclude to outside the actual aircraft folder (in this case 767) which is here for the JPack, a kind of library package used in most of my planes. Tests showed, that it works with FGRun delivered with FG versions 3.0, 3.2 and 3.5. Only 3.4 sucks, as usual.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Necolatis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:46 pm

I think I have a solution.

I just experienced the same thing with my aircraft, I put in some includes and the aircraft did not show up in FGRun.

Solution:

replace in -set.xml file all
include="Aircraft/JPack/
with
include="

And it will show up and the includes will work. Worked for my aircraft at least.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore

Hangar: https://sites.google.com/site/fghangar/
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Necolatis?

include=" ?????
some includes may initialize some properties, I know my JPack does. So this solution is breaking those planes to cater to a bug in FGRun.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Necolatis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:56 pm

You misunderstood, I was showing what to replace, did not intend for you to replace the entire line.

Let me show an example:

<PropertyList include="Aircraft/JPack/Interface.xml" >

would become

<PropertyList include="Interface.xml" >
— Al Gore

Necolatis

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:59 pm

How does it find the include in this case because interface.xml is not in the plane folder but in the JPack folder?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Necolatis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Oh, sorry did not realize that. If they are installed together I suppose you can use '..'

Something like

<PropertyList include="../JPack/Interface.xml" >

If that doesn't work or you don't like that solution, then just ignore everything I said.
— Al Gore

Necolatis

Next

Return to Windows