Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Navigraph's compatibility with FlighGear

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Navigraph's compatibility with FlighGear

Postby M.Nieto » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Good day,
As suggested by the wiki page, and was trying to unload cycle D767
which, is supposed to be unloaded from Navigraph's web.
I have just purchased their cycle 1409 (which indeed should contain D767)
but when I open their FMS Manager, no addon appears in the list nor
the automatic scan could find any.
Does anyone know if Navigrah is compatible with FlighGear or, if
it is only for Microsof`s FX and other simulators?.
Thanks
M.Nieto

Re: Navigraph's compatibility with FlighGear

Postby Hooray » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi & welcome !

It's only FG that is -to some degree- compatible with/aware of Navigraph and not vice versa, see the route manager article on the wiki for details
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby M.Nieto » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 pm

To Hooray:
Many thanks for your message.
Then, wiki's page is very misleading as it suggests to download level D767
(contained in AIRAC'S cycle 1409) and install it in FG which, is exactly what
I tried, to no avail.
Sorry Hooray I do not quite undesrtand: ''please do not send support requests by PM....''
Could you please clarify as I always try to do the correct things.
Thanks
M.Nieto

Postby elgaton » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Navigraph introduced the FMS Manager only recently, as far as I know the manager itself does not support FlightGear and won't detect it (the wiki page wasn't updated in a while, I'm doing it now), so you'll need to install the files manually.

Download the Level-D formatted files from the manual install page. Save the file somewhere safe: Navigraph won't provide you with another copy when the current AIRAC cycle expires. Run the executable file and choose a directory on your Desktop when prompted. Open that directory, you will find many XML files named "ICAO.procedures.xml" (where ICAO is the ICAO code of the airport the XML file refers to): move each of them to "C:\Program Files\FlightGear\Scenery\Airports\I\C\A\ICAO.procedures.xml" (replace I, C, A and ICAO with the corresponding letters of the ICAO code). (Example: put EDDF.procedures.xml in C:\Program Files\FlightGear\Scenery\Airports\E\D\D\EDDF.procedures.xml).

Unfortunately, the renaming is a bit tedious and there is no automated procedure for it at this time (on Windows - renaming scripts are available for other operating systems).

After that, you should be able to find the routes in Route Manager.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:28 pm

thank you for updating the wiki, way to go!
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ste » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 pm

Firstly, Sorry to resurrect an old subject, but just in case people are still struggling I have the following findings to report regarding using Navigraph's AIRAC data:

(1) When extracting the file (using the .EXE that came in the zip file.... not sure what navigraph are doing there...) I had to click the first "Microsoft Fligh" radio button - the default "Lockheed Mar" option didn't seem to work for me.
(2) I had (as mentioned previously in this thread) to find the directory for each file and rename it. The directory I was looking for seems to reside in the TerraSync directory rather than the base Scenery directory; Not sure if I've set something wrong somewhere or if it's something Windows is doing (first time using FG on Windows), but I needed ~/TerraSync/Airports/E/G/K/ rather than $FG_ROOT/Scenery/Airports/E/G/K/ as I'd gathered from the wiki, and I had to rename EGKK.xml to EGKK.procedures.xml and move it to that directory.

I'm going to make a simple "Navigraph XML" installer using Python on WIndows; if there's enough interest I wouldn't mind recoding in C++ or even Nasal perhaps and submitting it for inclusion with the main FG package?
ste

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Your assumption to put the procedures files, renamed, into your terrasync folders is certainly okay. no problem there.

Seems I recall that someone has already done a python RUBY script for this kind of install, and it should be here in the forum somewhere... but I can't find it. Maybe it was Ruby...

http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11084&start=30#p172642

Oh cool it was done by James zakalawe Turner. it can be used as a guide to help write the python version, if you wish.

--Ray

Personally, I installed the world by hand and don't use terrasync and therefore I installed the procedures in the world folders rather than $fg-data/Scenery, or terrasync folders and I've done so by hand for the many airports that I use, pre-flight. But either way...

Post EDIT: I sent the post and then remembered why I do them by hand and it has to do with hacking each procedure file. I remove problem waypoints, like the first one at the end or a runway that has 0 distance because that's a problem for the routemanager, and then I also hack at all waypoints that happen to have 0 altitude because while other sims know what to do with that 0 ( ignore it ) FG uses it litterally, so I do a find and replace on all the altitude tags that have a 0 value and replace the tag as an emply tag like <altitude></altitude> which seems to work for me.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby ste » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:17 pm

Ray: Thanks for the edit -- I've already come across the zero altitude problem when programming a route manually; I'm fairly adept at data scrubbing (without going into the politics we've had a very badly written piece of software at work which has required this kind of script, not only for XML data but for binary data too) so I'll bear this in mind - Once I've got the simple version done (I'm hoping this evening) I'll start adding options for data scrubbing like you suggest -- I'm working in Python at the moment because it's familiar, rapid and multi-platform -- I've only just started looking at Nasal, so I may port it later so that it can be used without the need to download Python.

EDIT: Please note that I'm NOT implying FG is badly written, I have no bad things to say about the developers whatsoever and they are, in fact, my heroes :)
ste

Postby clrCoda » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:34 am

I recall another problem is that route manager select-ability of SIDs and STARs is made difficult by the fact that the drop downs seem to have no way to implement a scroll. So, again, sometimes hacking the file is necessary to bring the desired selections into view in RM.

ymmNot-v-Here :)
--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Return to Windows