Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Planes in water

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Planes in water

Postby Gemjet » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:13 am

Son has a new pc. Previously had an old laptop on which flightgear and scenery all fine but way too slow.

Latest flightgear 2018.3.2 downloaded and installed. Two drives. Program itself on c drive. Want to put data on larger d drive. And i have done that now.

Tried using Terrasync. Planes in water. Then tried to download some scenery using Terramaster and turned Terrasync off. Planes still in water.

I've tried it with everything on c drive also. Still planes in water.

Have searched forum for ideas and did the things above but now I think I need some help.

I know I need to provide further pc details. But any thoughts whilst I try to do that please? How do I find out where flightgear is actually looking to find its scenery?
Gemjet

Re: Planes in water

Postby Gemjet » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:42 am

Running Intel i7-9700 16GB RAM Windows 10 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

--launcher --download-dir=D:/FlightGear 2018.3.2/Flightgear --enable-real-weather-fetch --prop:/nasal/local_weather/enabled=false --timeofday=noon --disable-rembrandt --enable-fullscreen --disable-terrasync --aircraft=org.flightgear.fgaddon.stable_2018.q400 --airport=CYTZ --parkpos=FBO
Gemjet

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm not sure about your command line. You specify launcher then set switches that could be set in the launcher/ Maybe I just don't understand what you doing there.

Inside my launcher script I only use...
Code: Select all
./fgfs --launcher --fg-root=$PWD/../fgdata/

Then set everything else in the launcher "Settings" tab when the launcher comes up.

The launcher "Addons" folder is where you want to point to the scenery if your using the launcher. If not then you need to point to the scenery via command line, ie:
--fg-scenery="/mnt/FDrive/fgdev/fgstuff/apps/osm2city-all/osm2city-version1/osm2city/Kansas/custom/Sedgwick/" --fg-scenery="/mnt/FDrive/fgdev/scenery/kansas/output/"
Notice in the example I used two scenery directories, Order is important, First one takes precedence. "Sedgwick" is additional scenery details for that county. If I put kansas/output first, I don't get Sedgwick county details.

In the launcher it looks like this...

Default scenery location or terrasync also has a default setup location or entry.
Last edited by wlbragg on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Gemjet wrote in Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:13 am:How do I find out where flightgear is actually looking to find its scenery?

look in the fgfs.log file in your %appdata% directory...

where is %appdata%? type that in your search bar and hit enter... it should open in the user's proper appdata folder... then find the flightgear directory in there and enter it... the fgfs.log file should be easily seen at that point...

i also echo wlbragg's comments about removing those additional command line settings and placing them inside the launcher in the proper places as well as telling the launcher where the desired paths are... the launcher will create the necessary command line to pass to the simulator... all of this information should be available in the log file at the very top...

if you want to post the log file, you would post it to a site like pastebin and then provide a link to it here...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:53 am

Also, note that downloading scenery can take a while. Many people either start up FlightGear on a desired airport and take a break from the computer or use some kind of scenery manager, either custom scripts or TerraMaster (permalink).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Gemjet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 am

Many thanks for looking at this. I think I have posted the log file below. In EGLL it seems we can see other planes but nothing else. I have seen jetties in another airport but nothing else. But I've done more fiddling which has produced no better results.
https://pastebin.com/mkLg8rTK

Ideally, I would like to use Terramaster to download the scenery so we can see what we've got. I have already done that for some places.

The command line info I posted was actually from the launcher - i.e. set using Settings & Environment etc - what it was about to use just before I hit Fly.
Gemjet

Postby wlbragg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:00 pm

You have a bunch of errors, in several areas. Nasal errors, mismatch tag errors, io errors and path errors. I'd say your setup is really messed up.
How did you install this?

Some are valid, others not
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2544:Using explicit download dir: Path "D:/FlightGear/FGdata"
general:4:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\globals.cxx:382:read-allowed path not found:Path "D:/FlightGear/FGdata/AI"
general:4:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\globals.cxx:382:read-allowed path not found:Path "D:/FlightGear/FGdata/Liveries"
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2566:Using TerraSync dir: Path "D:/FlightGear/FGdata/TerraSync"
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:792:aircraft-dir = "D:/FlightGear/FGdata/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon.stable_2018/Aircraft/787-8"
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:793:fghome-dir = "Path "C:/Users/captm/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org""
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:794:download-dir = "D:/FlightGear/FGdata"
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:795:terrasync-dir = "D:/FlightGear/FGdata/TerraSync"
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:797:aircraft-search-paths =
    D:/FlightGear/FGdata/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon.stable_2018
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:798:scenery-search-paths =
    D:/FlightGear/FGdata/TerraSync
    C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2018.3.2/data/Scenery
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:765:FG_ROOT = "Path "C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2018.3.2/data""

tons of these missing model errors
io:5:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\scene\model\animation.cxx:458:Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'rhibspoiler'

One nasal error could potentially blow out nasal processing all together
nasal:5:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Scripting\NasalSys.cxx:1202:Nasal runtime error: undefined symbol: dual_control_tools
nasal:5:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Scripting\NasalSys.cxx:1214:  at D:/FlightGear/FGdata/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon.stable_2018/Aircraft/787-8/DualControl/DualControl_base.nas, line 9
general:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\GUI\FGPUIMenuBar.cxx:56:Initializing old dialog commands:
nasal:5:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Scripting\NasalSys.cxx:1179:Nasal error: no <file> or <script> defined in /nasal/helpers
nasal:5:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Scripting\NasalSys.cxx:1179:Nasal error: no <file> or <script> defined in /nasal/vsd
and
nasal:5:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Scripting\NasalSys.cxx:1202:Nasal runtime error: bad argument to setprop/getprop path: expected a string
nasal:5:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Scripting\NasalSys.cxx:1214:  at D:/FlightGear/FGdata/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon.stable_2018/Aircraft/787-8/Nasal/anti-ice.nas, line 51

Still looks like your generating ocean instead of loading scenery
terrain:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Scenery\tilemgr.cxx:251:sched_tile: new tile entry for:0:0, 51:6
terrain:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\scene\tgdb\ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:624:Loading tile 2941760.stg
terrain:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\scene\tgdb\ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:517:  Generating ocean tile: w010n50/w001n51/2941760
view:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Viewer\splash.cxx:686:Splash screen progress loading-scenery
terrain:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\scene\tgdb\ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:624:Loading tile 2941786.stg
terrain:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\scene\tgdb\ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:517:  Generating ocean tile: w010n50/w001n51/2941786

Then some other errors I am not totally familiar with
io:4:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_commands.cxx:777:loadxml: mismatched tag
 at D:/FlightGear/FGdata/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon.stable_2018/Aircraft/787-8/FMC-DB/Vocabulary/Possible_Words.xml,
line 11763, column 2

io:4:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_commands.cxx:777:loadxml: Failed to open file
 at C:/Users/captm/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/Export/Learnt_Words.xml

io:4:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\io\HTTPClient.cxx:226:CURL Result:35 SSL connect error
io:4:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\io\HTTPRequest.cxx:334:HTTP request: set failure:35 reason SSL connect error
environment:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Environment\realwx_ctrl.cxx:465:metar download failure

io:3:C:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_commands.cxx:756:loadxml: failed to find airport data for Path "jetways.xml" at ICAO:EGLL

Bottom line, you have way to many issues. It looks like a lot of it is related to path errors (FG can't find the data it needs). But also aircraft side errors. Even possibly some external io errors.
Last edited by wlbragg on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby WoodSTokk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:33 pm

Looks like the aircraft you are using is damaged.
At first, check if FG is running with the UFO. The UFO comes with FG and work flawless.
And please activate TerraSync! I see in the log that TerraSync is disabled in your setting.
If FG is running nice with the UFO, try other planes.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: OE-WST
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:31 pm

The 787-8 comes "damaged", it would be unrelated.

The issue would be that TerraSync is disabled, it's hardly to do with the aircraft.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO

Postby Gemjet » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 am

I uninstalled and re-installed Flightgear. And I was still having problems. As I was reading the errors in the log file about '35 cURL SSL connect errors' in Windows 10 and upgrading PHP, I decided that this couldn't be right - I have a good download speed as well - it had to be simpler than that. I then had problems on some websites testing our internet speed. So I took off Parental Controls. I'm sure you will be saying 'ahh I could have told you that'. But I'm just trying to keep him safe as well as in the air. This appears to have resolved the planes in water issue as everything now downloads - bar a couple of images - 787 & Q400. I have left Terrasync enabled now as suggested and I'm hoping that it will work ok for him going forwards.

https://pastebin.com/U33DrgPS

I'm really grateful to you all for responding and helping.
Gemjet's Mum
Gemjet

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm

If you're using Window's built in parental controls they are fairly unreliable with lots of false positives; I can reccomend anything by Kaspersky, where you can also add exclusions (as I recall).
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO

Return to Windows