Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

FG 2018.2.2 Quits at start

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

FG 2018.2.2 Quits at start

Postby andygriff » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi there,
I've just managed to install Flightgear 2018.2.2 on my 20" iMac - This took a couple of attempts as the download kept failiing.
Eventually I got it downloaded, extracted, verified and installed in my Applications folder as instructed.
Program opens when I click on FG Icon, shows me the start screen but quits when I click on "Fly"
Any ideas what causes this issue ?

My Mac spec is OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6
IMac 20 Inch (Mid 2007)
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Thanks.
andygriff

Re: FG 2018.2.2 Quits at start

Postby enrogue » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:22 am

This might be the same error I see on an old Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro I have - in my case theres an issue with the compiled in freetype support - if you have macOS reporting enabled, you'd be able to see the error. On my MBP it's EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION in osgdb_freetype.dylib (there isn't anything in the flightgear log)

If you don't have reporting you can verify that it's the same issue by renaming the library:

right click on the Flightgear app, select 'Show Package Contents', open the Contents folder, then Plugins, then osgPlugins - osgdb_freetype.dylib is in there - rename it (add a suffix or something to stop the app from finding it) & then start Flightgear again

It should start up but the fonts will be fixed ones - i.e. it looks a bit bad but it works

let me know if that is the issue & we'll see what can be done from there - if not we'll need more information (Flightgear logs are in ~/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/, and macos crash reporting helps)
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby zakalawe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:23 pm

enrogue wrote in Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:22 am:This might be the same error I see on an old Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro I have - in my case theres an issue with the compiled in freetype support - if you have macOS reporting enabled, you'd be able to see the error. On my MBP it's EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION in osgdb_freetype.dylib (there isn't anything in the flightgear log)

How old is this MacBook Pro? I ask because the BAD_INSTRUCTION error implies that would have to be really old - which I kind of doubt (like, more than a decade).

When did you first experience the problem - only with 2018.2 or also earlier versions?
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby enrogue » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Hey there

It's a 2007 15" MBP (3,1) 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo T7700, so yeah over 10 years old. The last version of FG it was able to run from download unmodified was around 2016.4.4, but as 2017.3.1 used the same version of OSG, I was able to take the freetype plugin from 2016.4.4 & replace the one in 2017.3.1 with it

Now with the newer OSG in 2018.x I'm only able to run on it by compiling OSG myself & using that when building FG. It's not my only machine so it's never been a big issue for me - I use it to test low end performance
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby pgreenwood » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:25 pm

enrogue wrote in Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:22 am:This might be the same error I see on an old Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro I have - in my case theres an issue with the compiled in freetype support - if you have macOS reporting enabled, you'd be able to see the error. On my MBP it's EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION in osgdb_freetype.dylib (there isn't anything in the flightgear log)

If you don't have reporting you can verify that it's the same issue by renaming the library:

right click on the Flightgear app, select 'Show Package Contents', open the Contents folder, then Plugins, then osgPlugins - osgdb_freetype.dylib is in there - rename it (add a suffix or something to stop the app from finding it) & then start Flightgear again

It should start up but the fonts will be fixed ones - i.e. it looks a bit bad but it works

let me know if that is the issue & we'll see what can be done from there - if not we'll need more information (Flightgear logs are in ~/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/, and macos crash reporting helps)

I am not s#ixxing you. I did this with my mid 2007 iMac and FlightGear 2019 version and it, at least, got the app to launch where before it would not get past the launcher.
pgreenwood

Return to Mac