Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Dowloading v2016.1 Aircraft without invoking Aircraft Centre  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Dowloading v2016.1 Aircraft without invoking Aircraft Centre

Postby Hevii Guy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Can somebody please tell me from where I can download aircraft for v2016.1 without using the in-built Aircraft Centre?

Use of the Aircraft Centre is undoubtedly quite convenient but, in my case, it presents problems because it saves the aircraft into a default directory which is on a partition with limited remaining space. Hence, I must have the ability to download them onto a directory of my choice.
Hevii Guy

Callsign: CH-HEVI
Version: 2017.3.1

Re: Dowloading v2016.1 Aircraft without invoking Aircraft Ce  

Postby Thorsten » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:01 pm

http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/

Download and unzip into the Aircraft/ folder

Beware that the launcher bug preventing you from using variants when you do it this way with 2016.1 - if you need that functionality, use the commandline or an alternative launcher like FGGo.
Thorsten

Postby Hevii Guy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks, Thorsten.

I'm sure that I'll find out sooner or later but, in order to save time, could you please tell me if FGGo can be used in a Mac OS environment? If so, how?
Hevii Guy

Callsign: CH-HEVI
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:15 pm

you need to check on FFGO over in the FFGO support topic...

aside from that,
1. the bug about manually defined download directories is being fixed in the current 2016.2.0 code... it was an oversight...
2. the bug about not being able to select variant craft not downloaded with the built-in launcher or aircraft center was fixed in the last week in the 2016.2.0 code...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby jaxsin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:49 pm

the bug about selecting variant aircraft was only if you chose not to use the aircraft center and instead manually download and installed them I believe. But both issues are being fixed or have been fixed as wkitty says in the upcoming release. Still plenty of other bugs and a few regressions in 2016.2 as well. So do not jump the gun if you care too much

FFGo, there is a wiki for that process and yes it runs on anything that runs python34+ You can verify if your mac is capable
jaxsin

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:26 am

@jaxsin: pretty much true on the variants bug thing... i was afflicted with it because i have all of FGADDON and maintain it every time i update from the repos... it is updated at the same time as my FGDATA and my FGFS code when i build the latest version available ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:00 am

My two cents:

It makes sense for FG users to stick with the stable releases. There's a reason we do them, because devel versions can be much more quirky. And you probably need some kind of repository access skills to make most of it.

So if a user asks for help for a stable release, in my view pointing him to the devel version isn't helpful. Yes - this particular bug may be fixed, but there may be two others slipped in in the mean time. I'm currently adding functionality to the whole ALS framework, which means rendering in the devel version is in an inconsistent state and there may be graphical mismatches till this is finished. That's the meaning of a devel version - it's not stable.

I know there is this tendency in the forum to treat current devel as a quasi-stable version and to recommend always to use the latest version of aircraft and FG - but that's causing a lot of problems.

So could we perhaps agree that if a user asks for help with the latest stable release, we provide help for that version and do not point to most recent developments? Only if a user asks for an older stable version, we point him to the latest stable?
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:52 am

@Thorsten: FWIW: i'm not pointing anyone to the latest repo code nor am i recommending that they update/upgrade to such... mainly i'm just letting them know that the bug is fixed or is at least being looked at... maybe i should add a disclaimer to my sig???
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:49 pm

And why would a user interested in 2016.1 be interested in that - unless he wants to use 2016.2? Anyone who asks for help with 2016.1 is likely interested in how to get things working in 2016.1 rather than what other versions do.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:49 pm

@thorsten: so that they know that it is a but that is fixed in the next version... whether anyone back ports the fix to (eg:) 2016.1.2 or 2016.1.3 is another matter... especially when they're bugs like "external views have no yaw and all point the same way" or "can't use a custom download directory from within the launcher" and similar as those are flaws within the binary and they cannot be fixed without compiling new code that contains the fix...

ya get what ya pay for... if the bugs that bother someone are fixed in the next version, then they can either wait a few months for that fix to appear or they can switch to nightlies or self-compiled code or they can see if any developer is willing to apply the fix to the last release and start preparing a newer release of that version :shrug:

and that last brings up being "agile"... is FGFS trying to move to being "agile"? are fixes going to be back ported to the previous release version and a new release of that version made available? are release versions simply going to remain in their release state and newer versions released every few months (3? 4?) are the new way forward?? i'm not complaining at all... i like what is being done... other's, though, might not understand it and maybe it needs to be documented further somewhere??
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:08 pm

are fixes going to be back ported to the previous release version and a new release of that version made available? are release versions simply going to remain in their release state and newer versions released every few months (3? 4?) are the new way forward?

According to my understanding, it's the latter - a release every 3 months. No back porting, no bugfix releases.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:23 pm

ok... that was my understanding, too... pointing to the current alpha/beta and/or the next release when known bugs are fix should not be a problem, then... depending on the bug in question, of course ;)

eg: i believe that the camera view bug has been fixed... the commit has been applied and i do have it here but it is hard to tell with the UFO :lol: i'll have to switch to another craft after this flight and see how it looks from there but there is definitely some work going on and fixes being applied...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby rominet » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:43 am

Regarding FFGo on OS X:

There is no reason a priori why it couldn't work there—FGo! (FFGo's daddy) has always been said to be Linux-only, and the facts proved me right when I said it could work on Windows as well, with very small changes. So far, I have blindly written the one OS X-specific bit because of the absence of feedback from OS X users. Apart from this one tiny place, OS X is handled as other Unix-like systems.

I'm ready to work with OS X users to define a nice way of installing it, but I don't have access to OS X, so one person would need to know it decently and to provide feedback so we can get the OS X installation instructions on par with those for Windows and Linux.

As jaxsin said: basically, when you have Python 3.4 or later installed, the generic method given for Linux (using pip) should apply to the letter(*), and I should be able to easily guide someone from this point on. So, the main bit missing from my perspective is someone who explains to OS X users how to install Python 3.4 or later cleanly on their system, and who can give a path to the python executable that belongs to this installation.

(*) A simplified version without a virtual environment (same idea as on Windows, the only difference being that the 'py' Python Launcher only exists on Windows as far as I know) can be used if the Python installation one is going to use is not a system installation, i.e.: if you are the only one managing it, so that nothing is going to break if you install or remove packages in this installation.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Return to Mac