Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Command line arguments with 3.4 launcher?

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Re: Command line arguments with 3.4 launcher?

Postby someguy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Hooray, I have indeed read the cited articles, several times. I feel like I'm being taught all about lemmings on the tundra...and then dropped into the jungle in front of a growling tiger. What little I thought I understood just doesn't seem to apply.

Wouldn't it have been easier to give me some code to paste? I know, "teach a man to fish"...but not everyone wants to be a fisherman. Just toss me a sardine and I'll go away. :)
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Hooray » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:45 pm

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:28 pm:Wouldn't it have been easier to give me some code to paste? I know, "teach a man to fish"...but not everyone wants to be a fisherman. Just toss me a sardine and I'll go away. :)

Actually, I did do exactly that - with the only exception that I didn't use your particular property - but here we go:

--prop:sim/freeze/fuel=true

added to preferences.xml, becomes:

Code: Select all
<sim>
<freeze type="bool">true</freeze>
</sim>

i.e. a "freeze" node added below the "sim" node in your custom preferences.xml - loaded via --config, will be treated as an overlay on top of the existing preferences.xml in $FG_ROOT
but really, it's all covered in the articles I posted - and unless I am missing something, we should ensure that the wiki is as self-explanatory as possible.
I mean, we have people like Bomber who manage to write tons of complex FDM/XML code but who refuse to write a single line of Nasal code - and apparently, we also have veteran coders with 3+ decades of coding experience, who don't understand basic property/xml concepts, which have zero to do with coding ... :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby someguy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:14 am

Um...unless I'm mistaken, freeze isn't a bottom-level property, and fuel is not its only parameter in the tree. Handling that deeper level is what I can't find an example for. And remember, the Mac launcher will not accept --config. I'd have to write it in the root preferences.xml, no?
someguy

Postby VicMar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:12 am

I also think Hooray is going deeper than the actual problem. He is leading us towards making alterations in places which are then part of our FG start.

I for instance asked about entering command line statements which were only applicable to the flight I was about to take i.e. precise Lon/Lat for placing models with the ufo. I pointed this out on the dev list and James said he could easily put this back (we had it before 3.4.0).

Who knows, there may even be a 3.4.1 which includes this ability to input command line statements.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:41 pm

VicMar wrote in Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:12 am:I also think Hooray is going deeper than the actual problem. He is leading us towards making alterations in places which are then part of our FG start.

I provided answers to the questions posed here - and I even specifically said that preferences.xml in $FG_ROOT should NOT be edited, and that $FG_ROOT should be considered "read-only" by convention.
And I also explained, how the --prop argument works with respect to the mapping to XML space and vice versa, and how this relates to $FG_HOME and fgfsrc.
I am quite aware that the underlying code changes about passing/using/exposing argc/argv are trivial - but the Qt5 launcher is a new/experimental feature anyway.
So as long as people provide plenty of feedback and are willing to wait for the bug fix, we don't need to continue this discussion at all.
What I did however, is answer questions to fix this without modifying any C++ code, and without having to wait for others to do exactly that.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby someguy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:55 pm

Actually, no.

<sim>
</sim>

...does nothing at all, because it's missing a parameter. Did you test it? Do you even fly in FG, or do you just pretend to be an expert on the forum? I've lost patience with your attitude. I'd plonk you, but the board won't let me, due to your exalted status.

Does anyone have the correct answer, please?
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing broken tags
someguy

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:06 pm

someguy wrote in Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:55 pm:Actually, no.

<sim>
</sim>

...does nothing at all, because it's missing a parameter. Did you test it? Do you even fly in FG, or do you just pretend to be an expert on the forum? I've lost patience with your attitude. I'd plonk you, but the board won't let me, due to your exalted status.

Does anyone have the correct answer, please?

wow, thanks for escalating things quite a bit - I was actually trying to help you, and even willing to go out of my way to improve the docs accordingly, most of which I single-handedly wrote by the way ... but thanks for showing us your attitude - I won't bother wasting my time helping you any longer ...

PS: You are right that I messed up the example, but that should have been obvious to anybody who can read the docs: while you were referring to a property named /sim/freeze/fuel, I accidentally converted the property to just /sim/freeze (hey, it was late ... so it's missing a tag/node, which is damn obvious) - but again, that's a no-brainer to anybody who can read and apply what's written on the wiki.
And no, I don't usually test trivial stuff at all - I am responsible for many, if not most, Nasal coding docs on the wiki these days, which are quite a bit more involved than coming up with trivial xml/property mappings - and still, I don't test code snippets I post on the forum, no matter if those are 5 lines, 20 lines or 50 lines. I just happen to be doing this usually in my spare time these days, and often cannot even run FG when I am providing support on the forum. Asking us to always test such advice would be pathetic, given the trivial nature of your questions. And frankly, you don't need to be an "expert" to apply what can be easily found on the wiki, you really just need to be able to read and comprehend what's written there. It is frankly quite telling for you to escalate this thread, instead of simply spotting the obvious mistake I made in that example. Fortunately, I am quite able -and allowed- to "plonk you", easily. (while obviously holding the correct "solution", too) 8)

PPS: You even messed up the BB code tags ... not your day apparently. Had you looked at the links and examples I posted, we would not be having this debate now - even if I should have screwed up every single response along the way ... besides, if you expect people to spoon-feed you readily-available information so that you don't have to shift gears and actually use your own grey matter, better be prepared to play by the rules of the people providing support, even if they should happen to making typos/mistakes once in a while (keep in mind that most of us are juggling dozens of support threads at the same time, so someone -like you- wasting our time, is taking away from others willing to play by the rules).
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to Mac